Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · NBA: 1 Shot

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · NBA: 1 Shot

The Utah Jazz are in a desperate battle with the Lakers for the last spot in the playoffs for the west. They've got to win out, and LA has to lose a game to make it happen. Last night, Al Jefferson carried the team by tying his career high of 40 points. I'm liking this image because it's different from what I usually get and, to me, it shows 'motion' in a unique way, and it also shows how Minnesota's big men simply could not stop Big Al. At least that's what I (want to) see. Here he has been closely guarded with his back to the basket and has turned to the baseline, leaving his defender off balance and out of position. Comments welcome.

Apr 13, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · NBA: 1 Shot

And the shot shows the intensity Russ!

Apr 13, 2013 at 03:59 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #3 · NBA: 1 Shot

Hope you had a mop to clean the floor after that shot.

Is that the way it came out of camera or did you crop from the waist up?

Apr 13, 2013 at 06:49 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · NBA: 1 Shot

Thanks, Ted!

Rick: Had it from about the knees up, but I wanted to bring attention to the flying sweat. Here's another option:

Apr 13, 2013 at 07:04 PM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #5 · NBA: 1 Shot

I definitely like the vertical better.

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #6 · NBA: 1 Shot

I personally like the second crop better, I think it shows the physical battle between the two more plainly with the lean angles of both players into one another. I feel like some of that perspective is lost in the tighter crop.

Paul

Edited on Apr 14, 2013 at 04:01 PM · View previous versions

Apr 14, 2013 at 05:27 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · NBA: 1 Shot

Mike and Paul: Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I can see what you are saying, and it's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. My perspective, having 'been there' to see what actually happened, and having shot the entire season and seen a few hundred plays like this, is likely to be skewed.

Apr 14, 2013 at 05:41 AM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · NBA: 1 Shot

While I see the value of the vertical, looser crop, I think the tighter layout is more dramatic. I just wish we could see Stiemsma's face.

Thanks for sharing.

Apr 14, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · NBA: 1 Shot

Thanks, Dennis. I agree about Stiemsma--seeing that 'oh damn, not again!' expression would add to the shot.

Apr 14, 2013 at 03:57 PM
GUER03
• •
p.1 #10 · NBA: 1 Shot

I agree with Dennis, we get tons of full length shots per game but I love to use my 70-200 at times when they are driving the baseline to get some good face/emotion shots when they are there. Especially the stars like Dirk, Kobe, LeBron, those sell. I try to mix it up and get some tight shoulders/face shots every game. Every time the Celtics are in town I know I'm in for a treat because Dirk and KG go at it, Hard. Dirk doesn't back down and KG is a hot head so I try to get some close up shots like your first one and if they are a little farther out I'll use my 300mm to get them. KG and Dirk make some killer battle faces during this time. Good stuff Russ, glad you are liking shooting NBA I think your stuff has progressed nicely. Good luck in the playoffs, we aren't in it this year.

Albert

Apr 15, 2013 at 04:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · NBA: 1 Shot

Albert: Thanks for sharing your insights. I agree there are certain match-ups that are especially fun to shoot.

Apr 15, 2013 at 05:35 PM
tmalone893
• •
p.1 #12 · NBA: 1 Shot

Love the intensity Russ.

Theron

Apr 15, 2013 at 05:48 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #13 · NBA: 1 Shot

I personally prefer the first (tighter/cropped) shot even though the cropping makes the proportions feel a bit off. It is a bit different (as you say, "unique") and that makes it more interesting.

It's a lot more intense without additional things for your eye to wander to, so your eyes will just gravitate to what makes it unique (the sweat, the arms and elbows. Also, it can be more intense because you don't know how their lower bodies are positioned, so you may just imagine it being more intense than they actually are. I personally like the first one just because it's very different than most sports photos.

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:07 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · NBA: 1 Shot

Thanks, Theron.

MazeRunner: Thanks for sharing your perspective. I think you've hit on something I was aiming for with that initial crop, which was to show something a bit unique from the perspective of someone sitting on the floor within inches of the court--an up-close-and-personal view of the battle within the battle. I don't know that the first version accomplishes that, but I appreciate your view of it.

Apr 16, 2013 at 01:16 AM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.1 #15 · NBA: 1 Shot

The tighter crop is a much more powerful image. Good call! In the vertical version, my eyes are repeated drawn to that inverted V of empty space/crowd and then the lower limbs. They distract from the impact of the photo. You were right to eliminate them.

Apr 16, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · NBA: 1 Shot

Thank you, Deborah. Good point about that view through the inverted V...

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #17 · NBA: 1 Shot

Love the first crop and the intensity shown. I agree that with the loose crop, my eyes tend to wander through the empty space in the center of the frame.

Apr 17, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · NBA: 1 Shot

Thank you, Tim. I appreciate your feedback.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #19 · NBA: 1 Shot

Great capture Russ. Love the vert, it show Als advantage heading to the hoop.
I like the way the horizontal brings the eyes to the contact on the elbows, his face and the sweat beads pop a tad more.
Great to have options. My experience is only one crop works.
Both of these are great.

Apr 27, 2013 at 08:35 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #20 · NBA: 1 Shot

Russ, I like the first one. When I just looked at it again, at first glance it looks like there might be an extra arm thrown in there, I know it's not, but first glance, since you lose sight of his right elbow, it looks like another arm is in there.
This takes nothing away from the shot, it's a good one
Bob

Apr 27, 2013 at 08:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password