Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

One weird Image

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · One weird Image

While photographing the Sigma 120 - 300 f2.8 I caught this weird / funky image / reflection... Do you think this would work for the monthly assignment, "close-up"?? Thanks, Jim

Weird

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    35mm    f/8.0    1/30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · One weird Image

I dont know but I like it. Odd, engaging, requires some thought to integrate what is being seen, make a story from it. All of which I think are positives. The lens itself needs to be included as you have done, to provide context of "close up".
Scott

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · One weird Image

sbeme wrote:
I dont know but I like it. Odd, engaging, requires some thought to integrate what is being seen, make a story from it. All of which I think are positives. The lens itself needs to be included as you have done, to provide context of "close up".
Scott

Scott; We must be messed up because I like it, but do not know why. I wish I could say I planned this but it was a total surprise. Thanks, Jim

Apr 11, 2013 at 03:37 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · One weird Image

Interesting!

Apr 11, 2013 at 08:17 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · One weird Image

AuntiPode wrote:
Interesting!

Thanks

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · One weird Image

Why not? Worst that can happen is not selected as the winner. Unless not garnering any votes bothers you (which I've managed to accomplish as have many others).

Interesting image.

Bob

Apr 11, 2013 at 04:49 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · One weird Image

Bob Jarman wrote:
Why not? Worst that can happen is not selected as the winner. Unless not garnering any votes bothers you (which I've managed to accomplish as have many others).

Interesting image.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Winning is never an issue, as I am normally surprised if I get a vote. Can not figure out what people like and dislike. Photography contest are a quandary best viewed from the bottom of an empty wine glass. Jim

Apr 12, 2013 at 07:39 PM
Beabs

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · One weird Image

I think it is really interesting. It has this creepy feeling to it. There is something about it. It makes you look further and further into the image. It's one of those-shake your head, your eyes are stuck.

Apr 12, 2013 at 08:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · One weird Image

Beabs wrote:
I think it is really interesting. It has this creepy feeling to it. There is something about it. It makes you look further and further into the image. It's one of those-shake your head, your eyes are stuck.

Thank you.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · One weird Image

This a very interesting image. It isn't one you look at, it is one you study (I dig study).
Nobody's gonna go "WOW, look at that pretty (insert subject of choice)." It isn't that kind of an image. It is more about form, lines, hues, values, balance, symmetry, scale, etc. You could probably teach a summer semester of art class using this one image for reference with all that it contains ... slight stretch maybe, but I could get at least a few lessons out of it.

The thing that makes it so interesting/intriguing is that the study includes such juxtaposition that it is challenging to decipher the elements involved. I look at it, then I have to step back from it, then I can go look at it again. With each successive look, there is a bit more "reveal" for me to see what is going on.

At first glance, it kinda looks like a hot mess. But, as I get deeper into the reveal, I can see the repeating patterns, the concentric circles, the interplay of hues and tonal values, etc. It's one of those images that people will perceive as:

A) Hot mess
B) Really creative/cool/weird/different, just because it is so different
C) An image that is chocked full of varying goodness, that you have to weed through to garner its many good attributes.

Kinda reminds me of picking blackberries ... it's a lot of work and patience to get through the briars and to pick up each little delicious piece, but they are so YUM when you do get to them.

All in all ... pretty cool, with good technical excellence in form. Definitely a bit of a brain tease if you'll engage it.

If I were going to make any edits (non-destructive of course), I'd look at cloning out the two screws, and subduing the two specular reflections just above the two screws. The screws kinda take away from the vibe of surreal, and give us a something "too real" that keeps us from getting more fully into the surreal vibe. The balance on the rest of the image is so nice that the hot spots impose on its harmony a bit, so dialing it back/cloning/etc. could just bring that area into the harmony that exists with the rest of the image.

It took me a bit to get my head around this one, but once I did .... With that in mind, definitely enter it in the MA. Will it go over well ... who cares? Did the assignment motivate you to create such an image, and did you stretch yourself as a result ... if so, then you've produced a winning image, irregardless of the votes. Although, I'm pretty sure you'll garner a vote or two for this one. I don't think it iconicly screams "Close Up", but it is in context of the theme and is a very interesting image, especially if you are looking for something less clinical than the typical macro.

A bit challenging to get into, but plenty of goodness for those who choose to do so. You could always title it "Blackberries" and screw with people's minds just a bit more. Heck, even working past the tree branches resembles working through the briars.

Good job, nice catch.

Edited on Apr 13, 2013 at 01:47 PM · View previous versions

Apr 13, 2013 at 01:16 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · One weird Image

RustyBug wrote:
This a very interesting image. It isn't one you look at, it is one you study (I dig study).
Nobody's gonna go "WOW, look at that pretty (insert subject of choice)." It isn't that kind of an image.

The thing that makes it so interesting/intriguing is that the study includes such juxtaposition that it is challenging to decipher the elements involved. I look at it, then I have to step back from it, then I can go look at it again. With each successive look, there is a bit more "reveal" for me to see what is going on.

At
...Show more

Kent; Thank you. I did enter the image in MA. Win / lose / draw it is a keeper, in my opinion. I did not set out to create an enigma, but was pleasantly surprised. I have picked my fair share of blackberries and fully understand your analogy. Thanks, Jim

Apr 13, 2013 at 01:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · One weird Image

oldrattler wrote:
I did not set out to create an enigma, but was pleasantly surprised.

Maybe a bit fortuitous ... but sometimes we simply make our own luck. That's just part of it, just like going exploring and finding that patch of blackberries. You didn't know you were gonna find them there, but something just called you to head off in that direction ... so away your went ... and to your pleasure, looky what you found.

Of course, now I'm "jonesing" for some blackberry cobbler ... really, I want some fresh blackberry/rhubarb pie or cobbler, but that's not gonna happen today.

Apr 13, 2013 at 01:56 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · One weird Image

RustyBug wrote:
Maybe a bit fortuitous ... but sometimes we simply make our own luck. That's just part of it, just like going exploring and finding that patch of blackberries. You didn't know you were gonna find them there, but something just called you to head off in that direction ... so away your went ... and to your pleasure, looky what you found.

Of course, now I'm "jonesing" for some blackberry cobbler ... really, I want some fresh blackberry/rhubarb pie or cobbler, but that's not gonna happen today.

Lordy, that sounds good. Thanks for making me hungry..

Apr 13, 2013 at 07:37 PM
friscoron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · One weird Image

Not everyone will agree with my suggestion. I really think you've stumbled upon a really interesting image. My suggestion would be to recreate it but add an OCF to light your face and let it be a self-image.

Apr 14, 2013 at 06:34 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · One weird Image

friscoron wrote:
Not everyone will agree with my suggestion. I really think you've stumbled upon a really interesting image. My suggestion would be to recreate it but add an OCF to light your face and let it be a self-image.

I will try but what does OCF mean? Thank you

Apr 15, 2013 at 01:13 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password