Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Post-Processing Software for n00bs

clstubbs

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Post-Processing Software for n00bs

Having only recently gotten into DSLR photography, I'm very green when it comes to post-processing, and the different software options available. My buddy (FM member) turned me on to the site and forum, and I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. What are some good software options to start with? I am familiar with photoshop, but there are a lot of other tools out there.

Disclaimer: I'm a PC user, and I know there are a lot of programs that are multi-platform, but it could be limiting. I'll leave it to your expert guidance

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:10 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Post-Processing Software for n00bs

A noob familiar with photoshop ?! That's a rare thing.

I'd recommend that you try Lightroom because ...
(a) it will do most of whatever you are likely to need
(b) it's almost impossible to ruin a photo because the "edits" are non-destructive (i.e. the master photo remains unchanged)
(c) it has excellent image management tools for selection, sorting, categorizing, etc.

I trust that you got a welcome to FM

- Alan

Apr 08, 2013 at 06:57 AM
clstubbs

p.1 #3 · Post-Processing Software for n00bs

Thanks Alan. That's kind of what I was thinking; I need something that I can use to start until I can feel my way a little bit more.

I'm more of a n00b to digital photography; I've used photoshop a few times for simple things but never for editing photos.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:24 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Post-Processing Software for n00bs

Alan321 wrote:
A noob familiar with photoshop ?! That's a rare thing.

I'd recommend that you try Lightroom because ...
(a) it will do most of whatever you are likely to need
(b) it's almost impossible to ruin a photo because the "edits" are non-destructive (i.e. the master photo remains unchanged)
(c) it has excellent image management tools for selection, sorting, categorizing, etc.

I trust that you got a welcome to FM

- Alan

++ Ditto - LR4 is the way to go...

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mshi
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Post-Processing Software for n00bs

If you're not volume shooter, trying Capture One Pro is a better option since C1pro produces better color and tones.

Apr 08, 2013 at 02:03 PM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.1 #6 · Post-Processing Software for n00bs

Aw, we're buddies!

I know I've made a few suggestions before but you can't go wrong with anything listed here. Lightroom and Capture One are good basic development tools. They don't replace photoshop for major work, but handle volume much better (especially LR). You might also want to consider Capture NX. It's Nikon's processing software suite and it does a very good job with Nikon files. If you're going to shoot raw, NX2 will reproduce the same look as you see on the back of the camera's LCD (since that's a jpg that's been processed by the camera).

IIRC, most of these suites have a free trial. Once you get your camera, download and try them all. Shoot raw and don't use "auto" and with a little practice, you'll be producing some nice picts.

-Jayson

Apr 08, 2013 at 04:12 PM
jrhoffman75
• •
p.1 #7 · Post-Processing Software for n00bs

If you are a Canon shooter give DPP a try. It's free and will give you a chance to try digital editing without a time clock clicking on a free trial.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password