Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photo storage while abroad

m.sommers00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo storage while abroad

I'm in a bit of a predicament right now and could use some insight. I'm going to Africa for 2.5 months, bringing my memory pig, the D800. I was initially thinking of stocking up on CF and SD cards, until I saw the cost and the pain of getting them all organized. So two options came up:

1) Get a Sanho Hyperdrive, put in a 500gb SSD and have a reliable primary storage device. This sets me back about $700 total, including shipping, all the pieces and the USB accessory.

2) Get an ultrabook that has much more functionality, can review pictures and delete much more easily. However, it doesn't appear as rugged as has a higher potential of getting stolen vs. the brick-looking Sanho.The HDD in an ultrabook I'm looking at isn't very good so I can either put in the 500gb and increase cost, or go with a 256gb and save ~$100.

As a secondary means of backup, I have 3 x 128gb USB flash drives I can hide anywhere.

I mention ruggedness as I want to have the storage device separate from my camera bag, which will likely be chucked in with my luggage. This is a group-style overland tour and we'll have means of locking up our personal things in cabinets in the truck. I just don't want to have all my eggs in one basket in case I get robbed (though it would be physically more protected in my camera bag).

So after all my rambling and potential non-sense, what option would you guys go with?

Apr 05, 2013 at 03:33 AM
CharChar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo storage while abroad

I have the 500gb hard disk but not ssd. You won't get all 500gb to use.

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:44 AM
Mike Pearson
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo storage while abroad

I can't say I ever had to plan for such a long trip with the resulting need for so much storage, so I'll just bring up thoughts that come to my mind.

First, even on short trips I have found that being able to review shots each night can save a trip. It would be a real shame to get back after all that time and realize everything is slightly out of focus because you were so busy trying to keep ISO down that you forgot about motion blur on long teles or some such. More than once my first review made me conscious of something I just plain overlooked and saved similar situation shots the rest of the trip. So, you will probably want a laptop or notebook to review the day’s shots.

Second, if you do take a notebook or some such get one with a DVD burner and each night download to it while keeping your shots on your CF cards till you have enough to fill a DVD. Burn two DVDs for your two backups then reformat your CF cards and clear your hard drive.

Like I said, just thoughts…

Apr 05, 2013 at 05:47 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo storage while abroad

CF and SD cards. I just came back from a 3˝ month trip. I only used CF cards for whole trip. CF cards are cheap if you don't buy the fastest. And SD cards are even lower priced.
With CF and SD cards you can also make backups in your camera when shooting.

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:51 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo storage while abroad

Belt and suspenders: CF and SD cards and a HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA2 with your own drive size. No need for an SSD either, just buy a high grade drive and you'll be fine.

Cards are cheap if you don't buy the fastest ones and when on safari you don't need super fast cards, your cameras buffer soaks up any yield you need. Sandisk Ultra's are fast enough.

Apr 05, 2013 at 05:10 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo storage while abroad

You can buy portable harddrives, I got a 2tb one for $120 the other day.

Apr 05, 2013 at 09:31 PM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo storage while abroad

Thanks for the feedback gents.

Decided to go with the UDMA2 w/ thumbsticks as a secondary backup. I considered many options, in many configurations to the point where I was making up scenarios while sleeping, however I felt this was the best way to save space, minimize cords, save a few bucks with something I'm comfortable in terms of reliability and potential to use the SSD in my computer as it's actually bigger than my current one!

Happy shooting

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:49 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo storage while abroad

Why buy Thumbstick memory as a backup When you can buy SD cards for about the same price. And those cards you can actually use in your camera. And also make backups in your camera.

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photo storage while abroad

It is simple to swap out the HD in the Hyperdrive. If you are concerned about capacity/relaibility and don't want to to bring two Hyperdrives, bring an extra HD or two. 1TB is $100 or less. USB flash drives are generally made with the lowest quality flash memory and are the least reliable.

On safari I typically have shot about 40-50GB/day, and that is with relatively slow cameras that have 21-24 MP.

EBH

Apr 07, 2013 at 12:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photo storage while abroad

JBPhotog wrote:
Cards are cheap if you don't buy the fastest ones and when on safari you don't need super fast cards, your cameras buffer soaks up any yield you need. Sandisk Ultra's are fast enough.

Well, during a good river crossing one can fill a lot of cards, so the faster the better. It is not the time to cheap out with slow cards.

EBH

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:00 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photo storage while abroad

I disagree. The only benefit of fast cards IMO is when you shoot high frame rates and long bursts, more than 40. I have never shot more than a burst of 10-15 without lifting off the release button. As soon as you lift off, the buffer has done its job and files are written to the card. I still recommend high quality cards but you don't need the Extreme variety. If you are a sports shooter, then yes, nature, not so much. And for the record, I have been on a few safaris.

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:25 PM
rodmcwha
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photo storage while abroad

If you want security, burn DVDs and mail one home to yourself, regularly!

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photo storage while abroad

rodmcwha wrote:
If you want security, burn DVDs and mail one home to yourself, regularly!

IMO that would be the worst thing you can do if wanting security. Any other backup would be more secure.....

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photo storage while abroad

OMG, that would take forever! Standard DVDs only hold about 4.37GB. DL DVDs store more, but writing is even slower. Encryption solves most security issues.

EBH

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photo storage while abroad

JBPhotog wrote:
I disagree. The only benefit of fast cards IMO is when you shoot high frame rates and long bursts, more than 40...

Another benefit of fast cards is they download images a lot faster when you use a card reader. And for the record, I have used a few card readers.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:55 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password