Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Creative Commons Copyright Issues

Mike1.6
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Creative Commons Copyright Issues

I was digging around on the web looking for some information and wound up on PetaPixel, where I ran into this article.

It seems photographer and film maker Kevin Collins posted some of his images on his webpage and allowed their use by others under the Creative Commons License. The story goes that another artist took the image and manipulated it in Photoshop and then submitted that image in a contest, which he won. The prize was a Macbook Pro and the contest was run by the ad agency for Mini-Cooper. After reading the article, viewing the images and reviewing the Creative Commons license, I've come to the conclusion that Mr. Collins is the victim of copyright infringement.

I know that I sometimes get my back up over things that are not very important though so I thought I'd see what some of our fellow photographers had to say. What do you think about this situation? Should the original photographer pursue it with the ad agency?

Here's a link to the original article: Copyright Controversy

The image is from the PetaPixel article. The top one is the original and the bottom, the edited version. It's clever, certainly, but so close to the original is it stolen?

Edited on Apr 03, 2013 at 07:33 PM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:01 PM
drive_75
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Creative Commons Copyright Issues

Link is to the same photo and not article.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #3 · Creative Commons Copyright Issues

Link fixed. Thanks.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:31 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #4 · Creative Commons Copyright Issues

Don't think a contest organizer should (or could) be the arbiter of what is, or is not, a copyright violation.

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #5 · Creative Commons Copyright Issues

lara_ckl wrote:
Don't think a contest organizer should (or could) be the arbiter of what is, or is not, a copyright violation.

Well, in this case, they have asked for "original work" as per this line from the contest rules: "Your submission must be 100% original work. Further, Kevin Collins, in his Creative Commons license of the image, required that use of the image required attribution. In other words, the original creator of the photograph had to be credited with it's creation.

Leaving those considerations out, is the submitted image different enough from the original that it's has become an original work of it's own?

Apr 03, 2013 at 06:42 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Creative Commons Copyright Issues

Isn't a manipulation of someone else's work, by definition, not an original work?

I'd also suggest that it's nowhere near different even if the argument was made that a manipulation could be considered entirely original.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:41 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #7 · Creative Commons Copyright Issues

binary visions wrote:
Isn't a manipulation of someone else's work, by definition, not an original work?

Indeed, it is by definition NOT original.

binary visions wrote:
I'd also suggest that it's nowhere near different even if the argument was made that a manipulation could be considered entirely original.

Agreed. Even if we grant that it is allowable to start with someone else's work, the changes made do not substantially differ from the original image enough that it would be considered "new" work, in my opinion.

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:21 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password