Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

This might interest a few people on here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/business-technology/think-you-own-your-downloads-court-deals-blow-to-used-digital-goods-market/article10619644/?cmpid=rss1

It would suggest that if you buy software that comes on a DVD it is yours to sell on......but if you download software then you are deemed to be renting it...and can't sell it on.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:35 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

anthonygh wrote:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/business-technology/think-you-own-your-downloads-court-deals-blow-to-used-digital-goods-market/article10619644/?cmpid=rss1

It would suggest that if you buy software that comes on a DVD it is yours to sell on......but if you download software then you are deemed to be renting it...and can't sell it on.

Not directly related but just to say something similar.

I purchased a PC download game for my son recently via Paypal which then wouldn't run, Paypal refused to refund me because there was no physical disc, if there had been a disc to return they would have made the refund.

Paypal deemed this software not to really exist and so therefore they had no reason to refund, even though the games manufacturer failed to provide a game that would work properly.

This has nothing to do with Canon so I expect it will be moved.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:39 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

The article is about digital music tracks, not software in general.

Also, the subject is hardly related to Canon-mount SLRs.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:41 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

If you download Adobe Photoshop or their other software, then you can sell it. I have done it with Adobes approval and register it in the new name. Adobe change the owner for me.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:43 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

This might effect Canon users that also use software (most I suspect) and as the ruling is generic therefore it can be utilized by any company that generates a product that is sold as downloadable data. This is the first time a court has made such a ruling so it is hard to know what Adobe might do in the future in this new legal environment.

Had I been a Nikon user I would have posted it on there.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:51 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

To the OP, your making a very generalized statement about something which is not correct. Whether you purchase a DVD or download a program or any digital work the right to use and resell is dictated by the end user license agreement. That specific license agreement covers your rights and obviously in this specific instance Apple's download license is single authorization to use the artistic work between the original purchaser and the owner.

Dave

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

It's about digital music tracks originally bought from Apple Incís iTunes website. And you can't apply that ruling on all software. It's not at all the same thing

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:00 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

With software, you own the physical media but are only licensed to use the software.

You never own the software.

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

Jon Joshua wrote:
With software, you own the physical media but are only licensed to use the software.

You never own the software.

Yes, but you sell the license to use it

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:11 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

anthonygh wrote:
This might effect Canon users that also use software (most I suspect) and as the ruling is generic therefore it can be utilized by any company that generates a product that is sold as downloadable data. This is the first time a court has made such a ruling so it is hard to know what Adobe might do in the future in this new legal environment.

I don't agree And even if you where right. The ruling does not apply for software in your or mine country. Or 99% of the countries...........

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

anthonygh wrote:

By that logic, posting a toilet paper review is within reason, as it may affect canon users who make bowel movements.

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

By that logic, posting a toilet paper review is within reason, as it may affect canon users who make bowel movements.

I've been looking for one that doesn't pill when wiping. Anyone have any recommendations?

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:49 PM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

Sarsfield wrote:
I've been looking for one that doesn't pill when wiping. Anyone have any recommendations?

Is this the beginning of the Canon vs Nikon toilet paper debate? Much like the camera discussions, will this one be focused on which can pull up more details from the low end?

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:58 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

The ruling linked makes sense because there is no current way to transfer a license from an iTunes song, at least that I know of. You would have to copy it and then sell a copy. Who knows if you still have a copy of the original. At least with physical media, or a license key, if transferred, the original is either gone, or becomes inactive.

I do know that people in the video game industry are extremely worried about this because the used game market is big $$$, and if everything is done via download, then you really cannot take that download to the exchange and sell it. At $60 a copy for games, plus any expansions people buy, that is a big deal to the bottom line of many game makers.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

It's up to the facilitator to allow (or not allow) users to transfer their 'digital assets'. There's no duty or law that says they have to allow it, not right now at least. Someone pointed out that Adobe allows it, I doubt Apple, Amazon, etc. currently allows you to transfer your songs/e-books/etc. from one user to another.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

Many decades ago, book publishers tried the same trick. They used to print in the books a notice that the book could not be resold, lent, given away, put in a new cover, etc. They lost big in court and you never see those notices.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:54 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

anthonygh wrote:

That's a foolish argument, especially coming from a photographer. Software, music, AND PHOTOS typically aren't purchased, those products are licensed, which means the creator specifies how their product can be used. Method of delivery means nothing. That would be like saying if I delivered a photo to a publisher by DVD they are free to resell it any way they want regardless of the license behind that sale.

Photographers had better brush up on intellectual propery law or they run the real risk of contributing to the demise of the very industry they are in.

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:11 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

Monito wrote:
Many decades ago, book publishers tried the same trick. They used to print in the books a notice that the book could not be resold, lent, given away, put in a new cover, etc. They lost big in court and you never see those notices.

it isn't quite the same trick. With a book you have a physical copy. if you loan it to me, you cannot loan it at the same time to Joe, your neighbor. Likewise, if you sell the book to Joe, your neighbor, you cannot sell it to me. This is different than a digital copy where you don't have a product key/license because you may have just duplicated the book and sold or loaned it to both of us.

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

Thank you. I am aware of the differences. I was adding a bit of history.

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you 'own' the software you bought?

Monito, honestly the only way that could have worked is if they had gotten people to sign an agreement during the purchasing of a book. Because it is naturally quite easy for an item to be passed from one person to another, nothing could really stop that.

With a digital copy the the access control or use is provided by a facilitator so it is always up to them whether to allow the 'asset' to be transfered from one person to another. It is not their prerogative or duty to allow this, and if a third party tries to do this, they can get into trouble any number of ways legally (because they are just copying the 'asset', not actually transferring it).

This is one of the things that keeps the value of digital assets down, people expect it to be 'cheap' and don't want to pay full price purely for the convenience. This is why, for instance, iTunes doesn't sell full albums, only $1. songs, and so on. Really one could make the argument that it is the best interest of the facilitator to allow these transfers if they want to charge full price for digital assets, but it really depends on their business model, etc.

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password