Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Grackle

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Grackle

Besides your input on the comp, processing, etc, for those of you who use FM's frames, what do you think about the framing choice? Would you pick a different one?

Thanks
Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Canon EOS 7D    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    135mm    f/5.6    1/1000s    1000 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Edited on Apr 02, 2013 at 01:16 AM · View previous versions

Apr 01, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Grackle

Got your beamer working? Seems a little hot in tail area, but geesh, with those reflective blacks, how can you argue with a great focus and shot

Don't know about the frame as I really never pay too much attentioin to them, but since you asked - a little too bold?

Nit: The rectangular shape at top-right distracts a bit.

Bob

Apr 01, 2013 at 01:40 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Grackle

Thanks Bob.
A big part of the workshop had me doing things I knew little about. So a good learning/practice experience.
I avoid flash like the plague. Just got the Better Beamer and had to learn how to try to dial in/out various amounts of exposure compensation in camera and in flash with rapidly changing light and going from bright to dark subjects, bright to dark backgrounds and back. And I did most shooting in manual. Which I have never touched before.
Yes to flash. No way to know Beamer/external flash settings from EXIF as provided by camera.
Background desat I liked and captured the foggy mood. Background structure is one of several towers. One provides multiple levels to view the water, rookeries, trees, birds and gators. Several other taller towers provide access to ziplines but not to photographers.

Scott

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #4 · Grackle

Scott, great job with the backround and the overall image. Sharp with lots of detail, not sure about the frame, it works nicely with the colors in the image though. I might like to see more white mat to give more separation between frame and bird.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:05 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Grackle

Barbara, Bob,
Changed the frame to "classic brown" for less heaviness and distraction.
Better?

Barbara,
thanks for the feedback.

Scott

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #6 · Grackle

Like the new frame choice better.

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:11 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Grackle

Frame is much better...

Question: does the flash ever disturb the subjects? Hate for a one-and-done scenario

Bob

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Grackle

Bob Jarman wrote:
Frame is much better...

Question: does the flash ever disturb the subjects? Hate for a one-and-done scenario

Bob

+1

I'm thinking about setting up a mini-sanctuary (very mini) like I saw @ Asa Wright in Trinidad. I was only shooting with the built in flash on my D70s back then, and I didn't seem to have any problems with "one-and-done" ... but that could have been because:

A) Fairly weak flash
B) The resident birds were conditioned to the paparazzi.

Have you found anything that would suggest how much is "too much" ... triggering the "one-and-done" syndrome, or can you pretty much use as much light as you want?

Apr 02, 2013 at 04:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Grackle

Good questions.
You will see more images from the two day workshop. I will indicate which are done with flash and try to recall where the Better Beamer was added. I would have to guess what in flash exposure comp settings were chosen, usually -2 to -2/3.

Flash was never primary light source. Anything more than a bit of fill looks unnatural and/or shows light fall-off at a distance.
Most images were taken with - flash exposure adjustment on flash (Canon 550EX).
Better Beamer only used with focal length 250 mm +. Guideline I was given was 300 mm +. For super far captures dialed up exposure comp +2-3 in flash to have some reach of flash out at 100+ feet or more.
All taken with high speed sync on.
Most useful to me was in camera exposure comp of up to +2 to shoot white birds with or without flash against a relatively light sky background.

Image above taken without Beamer, with -0.7 EV in camera, fill flash from 550EX. I am guessing -2/3 EV flash settings, but not sure.

Scott

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:02 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password