Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Printer - time to upgrade?

jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Printer - time to upgrade?

I am trying to decide if it time to replace my trusty Epson 1400 printer. I regularly print 13x19 on Epson glossy paper, and while I am generally quite happy with the 1400 there are times that the output is so far off from the screen (especially reds and yellows) that it causes headaches. I wind up printing 4x6" test prints while changing rendering intents, profiles and develop settings to get the print to look like I want. I thought that softproofing with Lightroom 4 would help, but not so much. If I upgrade it would likely be to an Epson 3000 or 3880 (looks like the 3800 is no longer made). It is hard to know how much things would be with an printer upgrade, thus the reason for this post.
I print from Lightroom 4 using a calibrated Asus monitor, on Epson Premium or Ultra Premium papers using the ICC profiles from the Epson web site.
Is it time to upgrade? Should I first try a custom ICC profile? Any suggestions or advice welcome.

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:38 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Printer - time to upgrade?

I dont have experience w/ the 1400 but from your description, there should not be a good reason your prints are 'so far off'. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly but the devil is in the details. I kinda doubt swapping the printer will do much that much (I own a 3800 and great very good matching). The stock Epson profiles are actually quite good.

What are your parameters used when you calibrate the Asus (also, which calibrator?)

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Printer - time to upgrade?

I am using the X-Rite Eye One Display 2, and I must admit I just use the default settings with the calibration.

Mar 31, 2013 at 03:18 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Printer - time to upgrade?

and those default settings are

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:16 PM
anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Printer - time to upgrade?

There are no 'issues' with the R1400 that I have ever heard of......I had an earlier version (the 1270) and the prints were fine.

The fact the colour sometimes goes 'off' suggests there is a problem with the machine. Have you done regular nozzle checks to ensure all the colours are being laid down? If it is poor calibration or profiling the prints would be consistently poor.

If the cost of the R3880 isn't an issue then go for it.....it is a much better printer....pigment inks......and cheaper to run. It is probably best to skip the R3800 although that would also be a big step up from the R1400.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:17 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Printer - time to upgrade?

howardm4 wrote:
and those default settings are

Medium White Point (6500)
Gamma 2.2

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Printer - time to upgrade?

How about just the change from dye to pigment inks? Would you expect to see much improvement just with that change?

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:58 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Printer - time to upgrade?

A fried uses the Epson 3880. He complains that cartridges cost 50 bucks, but they are almost 4 ounce carts. My 3000 uses the same ink set but carts are 1/4 the size and cost 25 bucks.

Both printer outputs are drop-dead gorgeous. His ink costs are half of mine.

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:19 PM
ins1355

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Printer - time to upgrade?

+1 for the Epson 3880. The cartridges are 80 ml and are very cost effective if you are printing much. Some of my carts have been in for a year and working fine. I do print at least a few every week. The printer comes with a set of ink. They are full 80 ml. The full of ink set is around 500 dollars so I think the 3880 is a good buy.

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:29 AM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Printer - time to upgrade?

Thanks for all the input. I think I should start saving for the 3880.

Apr 03, 2013 at 10:22 PM
niktnowy
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Printer - time to upgrade?

I bought Pixma Pro 9000 MKII brand new on Craigslit for $165.00. Including ink & 13x19 gloss paper.
Wow- what a great printer. Highly recommending that printer. 9000 has the larger color gamut. Prints fabulous pics.
I bought 32oz ink & re-setter for $65.00.

There are still plenty of them

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:35 AM
SSISteve
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Printer - time to upgrade?

I'm not sure what issues might be going on with the 1400 but I have the 3800 and it is a fantastic printer. If you can swing it get the 3800. The prints are gorgeous and while the ink does cost more they last a long time. If you can find an Epson refurb at like atlex.com go for it as it has the same warranty as a new one and comes with a fresh set of inks.

Steve

Apr 12, 2013 at 02:21 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password