Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

rmorrell

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

Does anyone who sells items on here ever have the problem with people saying they will buy an item from you after they have agreed with you on a price? They ask me to send them my paypal address so they can transfer the money, and when I do I also ask for their shipping address so I can get everything ready, and then I never hear back from them. This has happened on two occasions for the same item, from reputable people according to the buy and sell form feedback. I've tried PM-ing the people back to make sure they got my message and if their still interested, but still no response.

What would you guys do, cause I don't want to be that guy who agrees on something and then sells it out from under them because of lack of response, as I don't know if something came up in their life. Any ideas would be great.

Edited on Mar 29, 2013 at 02:39 PM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

That's annoying, but stuff happens. I suggest you send a PM to say that you're going to put it back in play as of a certain date, say in a week. If they've simply decided to not buy it, and not bother to tell you (which is very rude), then their involvement is already finished. If something came up with them, they should understand that their opportunity has passed. You can get some insight into their current disposition if you use the top-row menu search function to look up their FM name in the "Poster Username" pulldown category. This way, you'll see if they're currently active, or not.

In this case, where you've already sent "what's up" messages, I figure it would be OK to advise them that you're going to release their (implied) obligation as of tomorrow, and start looking for new buyers.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:31 PM
rmorrell

p.1 #3 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

That's what I did with the first guy. I've noticed in the PM outbox that a message seems to stay highlighted until its read, and on both occasions I know they have read the responses, and still no reply so I just re-listed the item. Thanks for the input. I try to do all my dealing with integrity, but I guess you can't hold people to the same values.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:43 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

Happens to me all the time. I noticed it has gotten worse in the recent years. I usually reply to any PM who says "I'll take it":

1) The item is still for sale right up until I get the payment. Whoever pays first wins.

2) Sometimes, I will give them maybe up to X hours and if I don't see any payment by then, I will move on to contacting the next person.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:09 PM
rmorrell

p.1 #5 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

Would you give the people who have posted that they would take it, but then disappear never to be heard from again a negative review on the buy and sell form? I've sold two things on here, both went great, minus USPS not fullfilling their end of the 2-3 days priority shipping.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

rmorrell wrote:
Would you give the people who have posted that they would take it, but then disappear never to be heard from again a negative review on the buy and sell form?

No. I'd put them on my list.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:45 PM
rmorrell

p.1 #7 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

Lol, I like that idea better. Thanks for the feed back guys, still feeling my way around on this form.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:49 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

rmorrell wrote:
Would you give the people who have posted that they would take it, but then disappear never to be heard from again a negative review on the buy and sell form?

No. Feedback is only for completed transactions.

But like jcolwell said, I probably never deal with them again...

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

I give the buyer at least till the EOB day unless he states otherwise. Then I give him an agreed upon time but make it clear that if I don't have the funds by then, the next person gets it.
Plus, as BL& jc states, I will never deal with that person again.
Dan

Edited on Mar 30, 2013 at 04:07 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2013 at 03:00 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

+1 Dan

Mar 30, 2013 at 03:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

happens all the time, I get "I'll take it" PM's, and never hear from them again

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:38 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

I am dealing with a person on Potn so interested in my NEW lens wanted to see pics so I send it's like he fell off the face of the earth. I finally send him a pm saying if you don't like it just let me know. Some people SUCK

Apr 01, 2013 at 03:41 AM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #13 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

if selling something, just tell the person that you will hold the item for them until xx hours or days from now and then if not paid for, you will go to the next person in line. Depending on what I am selling I give people until noon the next day, or even a couple days.

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:06 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

mikeinctown wrote:
if selling something, just tell the person that you will hold the item for them until xx hours or days from now and then if not paid for, you will go to the next person in line. Depending on what I am selling I give people until noon the next day, or even a couple days.

Thats typically what I do, I tell them they have 3 hours to send payment before it goes to the next person. If I ever have to deal with 2 payments from different people, I just refund one.

Apr 02, 2013 at 07:14 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

It's a case of blue balls. Because it means money, call it green balls.

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:32 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

Binh Ly wrote:
Happens to me all the time. I noticed it has gotten worse in the recent years. I usually reply to any PM who says "I'll take it":

1) The item is still for sale right up until I get the payment. Whoever pays first wins.

I think this is completely unreasonable, and would be pretty irritated if I unconditionally said "I'll take it" only to find out that I was in a race to send a Paypal payment. Now, if someone hasn't stated they will take it, they don't get a place in line. "Please send more pictures" does not constitute a place in line. "Can you tell me about the lens" doesn't either. But I don't think it's okay for you to be accepting money for something without guaranteeing the buyer that they're going to get it, even if you're planning on sending a refund.

I understand the OP's frustration entirely. I would just begin stating in the responses, "Please send payment within 24 hours or I will assume you don't want the item and will re-list it." That provides a clear deadline for payment, doesn't put buyers in some unknown and unseen race with each other, and keeps the turnaround time pretty quick so there isn't much time lost in the sale.

A month or so ago I sent a PM stating that I would take a lens, and asked for a Paypal address. I then immediately got a phone call at work that required my attention for a couple hours and the seller sent me a reminder asking to send payment as soon as possible so he could mark it sold. That's reasonable; "sorry, someone else sent me money first" is not. In my opinion, of course.

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

Wait until you experience being jerked around by clown buyers, and I bet you'll be singing a different tune. I've had lots of clowns telling me "I'll take it" and then I send my PP address to them and never to be heard from again - not even "I'm sorry, I changed my mind". It's a complete waste of time and not to mention unprofessional behavior.

binary visions wrote:
I think this is completely unreasonable, and would be pretty irritated if I unconditionally said "I'll take it" only to find out that I was in a race to send a Paypal payment. Now, if someone hasn't stated they will take it, they don't get a place in line. "Please send more pictures" does not constitute a place in line. "Can you tell me about the lens" doesn't either. But I don't think it's okay for you to be accepting money for something without guaranteeing the buyer that they're going to get it, even if you're planning on sending
...Show more

Apr 05, 2013 at 01:15 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

Binh Ly wrote:
Wait until you experience being jerked around by clown buyers, and I bet you'll be singing a different tune. I've had lots of clowns telling me "I'll take it" and then I send my PP address to them and never to be heard from again - not even "I'm sorry, I changed my mind". It's a complete waste of time and not to mention unprofessional behavior.

I've sold a ton of stuff online. I've been jerked around. I've also had pleasant experiences.

That doesn't make it right to be accept money for something you may or may not send the buyer.

Set clear rules, live by them, but "send me the payment and we'll see if you're first" is asinine. Money shouldn't change hands until both parties have committed to the sale.

I think 24 hours is a reasonable window to send payment. Make it 12 if you want. Make it 2. But once someone has stated they will be sending money, there is an obligation to allow them to complete the transaction.

Apr 05, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

binary visions wrote:
But once someone has stated they will be sending money, there is an obligation to allow them to complete the transaction.

Yeah buddy, and also once you say "I'll take it", there is an obligation to go ahead and pay and finish what you said and not be a clown and hide. And if you change your mind sure no problem, just send me a PM saying "Sorry I changed my mind" instead of hiding and ignoring me.

You obviously haven't faced this scenario. Let me give you a realistic example:

You sell an item. Clown A comes in and says "I'll take it". You say OK and give him your PP address and then give him 1 day to pay. 1 day goes by and no payment appears. Clown A is ignoring you. Then on the second day, Clown B appears and says "I'll take it". You say OK and give him your PP address and then give him 1 day to pay. 1 day goes by again and no payment appears. Clown B is also ignoring you. Then on the third day, Clown C appears and says "I'll take it". Then you say OK and you send him your PP address and then give him 1 day to pay. 1 day goes by again and no payment appears.

At this point 3 days pass by and no payment is there and 3 clowns now have your PP address. OK, so now on the 4th day, you wake up and you see payment from all three of them in your PP account. So which one of them would you honor?

OK now let's say you sell 10 items at 10 different times and this happens repeatedly a couple of times. What would you do differently to make it stop?

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:17 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Problem with buy and sell form experience

I like the phrase "snooze? You lose!"

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:52 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password