Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Muslin Storage

DGC1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Muslin Storage

I'm new to muslin backgrounds and am curious about storing them. I'd like to keep them wrinkle free so the only thing I can think of is a nine foot length of PVC to roll them up on. Any suggestions?

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Muslin Storage

I happen to be sitting next to a quilter. She says that some folks will use the foam "noodle" flotation devices to roll their quilts / fabric on to keep them wrinkle free for transport to competition/shows etc. Maybe a couple of those end-to-end could cover the span, or shorter with only a nominal amount of folding involved.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #3 · Muslin Storage

Unless you have the space to roll them up just fold them, put them in a bag, and buy yourself a nice steamer..

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Muslin Storage

DGC1 wrote:
I'm new to muslin backgrounds and am curious about storing them. I'd like to keep them wrinkle free so the only thing I can think of is a nine foot length of PVC to roll them up on. Any suggestions?

I fold mine in thirds and then roll them on a 3-foot-long cardboard tube. There are two vertical creases on them that I can take out in Photoshop if I'm shooting with enough DoF and lit in such a way that they show.

I thought about getting a steamer, and steaming out the creases after they were set up, but I decided Photoshop Elements (which I use for other things anyway) was easier.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:02 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #5 · Muslin Storage

Brian,

I will take them out it PS also but it depends on how defined the pattern is. Now with Content Aware Fill however, that is even easier.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #6 · Muslin Storage

I absolutely hate having to steam out wrinkles, but I do it. It's the most time consuming part of my setup. Then, after shooting a studio full of dancers, I wind up doing a ton of cloning and content-aware fill to get rid of stuff on the floor. I'm way too anal about stuff like this, but at least for me, it's that kind of stuff that always distracts my eye from the subject.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:46 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Muslin Storage

I know you don't like wrinkles, but most of the time your background should be sufficiently "soft" that you don't have too many problems. The exceptions being odd shadows that can come from an angled background light, having the subject too close to the background because either you're shooting too large a group for the background, or you're limited in space. Believe me, ive done it. (Too close part. I rarely use a b/g light.

I roll mine up in a ball and throw it in the bag. My portable system ( x drop) pulls them tight enough that the wrinkles mostly come out. I do wish that system was 6'x8' though.

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:56 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #8 · Muslin Storage

I don't use high key cloth such as white, at least I try and stay away from it. But as a is goes, muslin cloth has to be hung on something... I use the 10 X 20 pieces here with stands.

I have taken to hitting up the local dollar stores and buying those plastic clamps you see for holding various items that have been glued...or something that needs to be clamped together.

I take 4 a side, and just make the cloth taut across the span holding each side with the clamps on the vertical stands from top to leg area. Any other small wrinkles as is apparent (the strongest on med -neutral grey) I can smooth out in Ps.

Apr 04, 2013 at 01:49 AM
BareLight

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Muslin Storage

If you want wrinkle-free, the only way is to roll them on some sort of tube or steam them each time you hang them.

I generally keep mine bunched up in a bag and just make sure to use some combination of distance from subject to background and/or shooting with shallow DOF to eliminate/soften wrinkles.

Apr 25, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Diavolo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Muslin Storage

The absolute easiest way to take out wrinkles, in the summer, is to hang it outside overnight. All wrinkles will be gone in the morning due to the humidity. I have a high porch and I hand my 10x20's off it the night before a shoot and the wrinkles are gone.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password