Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Archive 2013 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed
  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


The Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS and USB Dock delayed
The new Sigma USB Dock and Sigma 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS "Sports line" lens were expected to be released in March 2013.

However, because of a delay in the manufacturing parts, the release date has been postponed.

B&H Photo is taking pre-orders and has an expected availability of April 10, 2013.

Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM for $3,599



























Mar 27, 2013 at 04:36 PM
robinlee
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


I have been looking forward for this lens anyway I am in love with my EF500 right now!


Mar 27, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


Perhaps they've lost the instructions on how to make it . Maybe they left them where canon lost the 200-400/4's instructions


Mar 27, 2013 at 01:37 PM
Bones74
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


I was having a play with the lens and chatting to Sigma staff earlier this month. They had confirmed the end of March release date. Hopefully it's not delayed too long. I have a few RAW files I shot with it on my 5D3 and they look pretty good.


Mar 27, 2013 at 01:37 PM
vsg28
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


BH has an updated availability of April 10


Mar 27, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


Bones74 wrote:
I was having a play with the lens and chatting to Sigma staff earlier this month. They had confirmed the end of March release date. Hopefully it's not delayed too long. I have a few RAW files I shot with it on my 5D3 and they look pretty good.



Interesting . Have you used the older (OS) version to compare it with?
I have that one but the new one holds lots of interest for me . I've not had a great deal of a chance to really put the AF on the current one to the test (it will get a good work out in a couple of weeks time at the first round of the WEC at silverstone) but if its as sharp or better than the current one then the AF limiter could make it a great lens (the USB thing looks really interesting also)




Mar 27, 2013 at 01:46 PM
Bones74
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Interesting . Have you used the older (OS) version to compare it with?
I have that one but the new one holds lots of interest for me . I've not had a great deal of a chance to really put the AF on the current one to the test (it will get a good work out in a couple of weeks time at the first round of the WEC at silverstone) but if its as sharp or better than the current one then the AF limiter could make it a great lens (the USB thing looks really interesting also)
...Show more

No I haven't shot with the current OS version. The only comparison I can draw is with my 70-200 ii and I'd say it's pretty close. Shooting conditions weren't ideal so I cant say which is better. It has been said that optically it should be the same as the current lens. It was at FOI in Birmingham and my friend and I spent about 20 minutes chatting to the Sigma guys. They also showed us the USB dock, which is as you say, very interesting. Enjoy the racing and please post some images



Mar 27, 2013 at 03:02 PM
ggreene
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


Not surprising as this is the first of their new Sports line of lenses and they probably want to make sure they get it right. I'm definitely interested in this zoom and don't mind waiting to avoid any potential QC problems.


Mar 27, 2013 at 03:47 PM
cputeq
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


Does the new "sports" version finally get a limiter? I don't see one on the lens




Mar 27, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


cputeq wrote:
Does the new "sports" version finally get a limiter? I don't see one on the lens




Yes , that's one of the main benefits . Also i think the USB dock thing is supposed to allow you to program the lens for different distances of the limiter



Mar 27, 2013 at 06:26 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Bones74
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


cputeq wrote:
Does the new "sports" version finally get a limiter? I don't see one on the lens



This pre-production copy has a focus limiter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gh02T_usWg

10m to infinity, full, and mfd to 10m.



Mar 27, 2013 at 06:43 PM
cputeq
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


Good to hear. I have been considering this as a gee whiz lens to eventually add and that lack of limiter was a major hangup for me.


Mar 27, 2013 at 07:06 PM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


Bones74 wrote:
This pre-production copy has a focus limiter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gh02T_usWg

10m to infinity, full, and mfd to 10m.


Stu, what is the MFD on that lens ? 9m ?
Also, that tripod mount foot is sitting almost on the lens mount. That doesn't augur well for lens handling.



Mar 27, 2013 at 07:13 PM
Bones74
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


PetKal wrote:
Stu, what is the MFD on that lens ? 9m ?
Also, that tripod mount foot is sitting almost on the lens mount. That doesn't augur well for lens handling.


Hey Peter, 9m sounds about right

This is the current info off the Sigma site so I expect the new one to be the same...

MFD: 150-250cm cm / 59.1-98.4in in

Yeah that tripod foot placement looks funky... maybe a current owner can tell us how it handles?



Mar 27, 2013 at 08:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


Bones74 wrote:
Hey Peter, 9m sounds about right

This is the current info off the Sigma site so I expect the new one to be the same...

MFD: 150-250cm cm / 59.1-98.4in in

Yeah that tripod foot placement looks funky... maybe a current owner can tell us how it handles?



That's pretty much what the MFD of the current one is . I would hope (but wouldn't expect) that the focal length is longer at 300mm MFD
What I mean by that is the current one (which I have) is way short of 300mm at mfd . I think I worked it out to be nearer 225-230mm . I did a quick test against my 300 prime (also sigma) and its very noticable at shorter distances .



Mar 27, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed




Yeah that tripod foot placement looks funky... maybe a current owner can tell us how it handles?



Well its not the best feeling lens I've ever used , but you get used to it . I prefer the feel and balance of the 300/2.8 prime , its much nicer to use . But when you flick between the 2 the OS makes itself very noticable .

I've also read that the foot is too close to the body, but maybe its cos I have small hands but I don't have a problem gripping it when I carry it .

I also have to say that its by far the biggest lens (and heaviest) ive ever used so I can't really say I'm the best judge of what's good or bad . Anyone want to lend me a big canon like the 500/4 for the WEC weekend I will gladly do a head to head for size an usability



Mar 27, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Steven Campbel
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


What is the weight of this lens? I can't find that information on the Sigma site.


Mar 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


Steven Campbel wrote:
What is the weight of this lens? I can't find that information on the Sigma site.



Are you asking about the current one or the new one?
The current one is just short of 3kg . And I can't see the new one being much less (if its any different at all) .



Mar 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Steven Campbel
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Are you asking about the current one or the new one?
The current one is just short of 3kg . And I can't see the new one being much less (if its any different at all) .


I guess the current one, but the weight of the new one would be nice to know also.



Mar 28, 2013 at 01:21 PM
robinlee
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS lens & USB dock delayed


I did handheld the new 120-300mm OS at Photokina last year and it is pretty heavy lens. It is advisable to use a tripod or monopod as further support for long period of shooting in the field


Mar 28, 2013 at 01:26 PM
1
       2       3       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password