Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · I need a new monitor.

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I need a new monitor.

My 24 inch old dell monitor needs to be replaced. I use the PC for photo editing primarily. Lightroom. Photoshop. I have a very powerful PC. Nvidia 9600gt video card.

I see IPS monitors are recommended by many photographers as I look around the Internet.

I don't want to spend thousands of dollars but a great monitor for photo editing at a fair and reasonable price is something I would buy.

I ran across this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=9579&seq=1&format=4

It appears to be the same panel as the $1000 apple monitor.

Would anyone here recommend that monitor?

If not.....what would you recommend?

Thank you.

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:05 PM
acktdi

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I need a new monitor.

I just replaced my Dell 2407wfp-hc with a Dell 2713h. It's the wide gamut, 100% adobergb coverage model and sells for about $900. If you don't need the full adobergb, the 2713hm is a bit cheaper at $600.

I've read about the cheaper Korean 27" monitors, but didn't want to deal with dead pixels or questionable warranties.

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I need a new monitor.

Adobe rgb coverage is something I would like to have.

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I need a new monitor.

acktdi,

I have really been considering the 2713H and would like to hear your impressions of it.
Do you like it?
What mode do you normally use it in?
Are you calibrating it? How? Are you using the Xrite Display Pro to calibrate the monitor directly?
How do you like the matte screen? I have heard that it does a good job of dampening reflections without that gritty/sandy appearance on light tones.
Some early reviewers/users reported occasional problems with audible noise/hum when displaying text. Have you noticed that?
Based on what I have read, the evenness of the brightness across the screen is not the greatest and the compensation feature for that doesn't really do much. Do you notice uneven illumination in normal use, though?
Do you notice background light leaks when a dark image is being shown?

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:18 PM
lilmsmaggie

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I need a new monitor.

You might be interested in reading this review on the 2713H:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2713h.htm#hardware_calibration

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:46 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I need a new monitor.

Eyeball wrote:
acktdi,

I have really been considering the 2713H and would like to hear your impressions of it.
Do you like it?
What mode do you normally use it in?
Are you calibrating it? How? Are you using the Xrite Display Pro to calibrate the monitor directly?
How do you like the matte screen? I have heard that it does a good job of dampening reflections without that gritty/sandy appearance on light tones.
Some early reviewers/users reported occasional problems with audible noise/hum when displaying text. Have you noticed that?
Based on what I have read, the evenness of the brightness across the screen is not the greatest and
...Show more

You need to start your own thread on that topic.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I need a new monitor.

Tom,
For what its worth, i've dealt with monoprice on several occasions and they have been very helpful and courteous team of people.
The reviews i've read of their new monitor, look promising...its just you have to give up usb ports and multi connectivity options.
Other than that, the Dell 27" is a very good option, just try to stay away from gloss screens. The 30" have been going on sale a few times.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I need a new monitor.

Tom K. wrote:
You need to start your own thread on that topic.

Sorry, I thought you might be interested in his comments if he is able to respond.

acktdi - Feel free to start another thread or PM me directly if you want to respond.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I need a new monitor.

Sunny Sra wrote:
just try to stay away from gloss screens.

Thank you Sunny Sra.

A couple of questions. Why stay away from glossy screens? The Monoprice has a glossy screen. Also.....can the Monoprice be calibrated?

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I need a new monitor.

Tom K. wrote:
Thank you Sunny Sra.

A couple of questions. Why stay away from glossy screens? The Monoprice has a glossy screen. Also.....can the Monoprice be calibrated?

Depending on where the lights are in the room, the glossy screens have more reflection than the matte screens. I have no first hand experience with the monoprice monitor, however you can email or online chat them.
They also have a 30" monitor
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10235&seq=1&format=2

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I need a new monitor.

Thanks sunny

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:59 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I need a new monitor.

I'm in same boat as you in deciding for Monitor, it looks like Dell U2713HM is on sale for $549 on Newegg.com, I'm not sure about how sRGB v/s Adobe RGB plays out for photographers as most of online content can only be displayed in sRGB and same thing with professional printers like WHCC, Mpix etc - they print only in sRGB so why Adobe RGB be important ?

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I need a new monitor.

mjoshi wrote:
I'm in same boat as you in deciding for Monitor, it looks like Dell U2713HM is on sale for $549 on Newegg.com, I'm not sure about how sRGB v/s Adobe RGB plays out for photographers as most of online content can only be displayed in sRGB and same thing with professional printers like WHCC, Mpix etc - they print only in sRGB so why Adobe RGB be important ?

According to Newegg......CURRENTLY SOLD OUT........

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I need a new monitor.

One of the ASUS is supposed to be quite good. The NEC PA have amazing 14bit internal LUT calibration, wide gamut but also perfect sRGB emulation.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I need a new monitor.

fyi: Bestbuy will pricematch online retailers like amazon etc.

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:45 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I need a new monitor.

I did pricematch with Bestbuy as I had few Rewardzone cards to use, Bestbuy pricematch process was painless, call them on 800 number and tell them you've seen something on Newegg and they takes care of it. I got U2713HM for $449 after $100 rewardzone certificate.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I need a new monitor.

acktdi wrote:
II've read about the cheaper Korean 27" monitors, but didn't want to deal with dead pixels or questionable warranties.

I have to assume that you`re talking about South Korea not its northern neighbour .
Last time I checked, LG and Samsung were koreans. They are making IPS panels for Dell, Apple, Eizo, to name just a few.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I need a new monitor.

sorpa wrote:
I have to assume that you`re talking about South Korea not its northern neighbour .
Last time I checked, LG and Samsung were koreans. They are making IPS panels for Dell, Apple, Eizo, to name just a few.

He said "cheaper" Korean - LG & Samsung will not fit that bill

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:10 PM
acktdi

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I need a new monitor.

The u2713h is a non gloss screen. It has an anti-glare finish, but not the type that looks 'grainy'.
I have it calibrated with the x-rite i1display2 (now discontinued), which isn't compatible with Dell's included calibration software, but works with the original x-rite one. I do my own printing with an ipf8400 so adobergb is important to me.

The Dell software by default will change the display type (standard, dynamic, movie mode) depending on which application is running. I turned it off because I found it annoying whenever I opened Firefox, VLC, LR etc.. and it would change the color space.

When I said cheaper Korean, I've read that they are rejects from LG/Samsung that don't meet their specs so they're sold to third party companies. I've had good luck with Dell monitors, so I've had no reason to switch.

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:00 PM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I need a new monitor.

mjoshi wrote:
He said "cheaper" Korean - LG & Samsung will not fit that bill

Hear, hear the guy

Mar 28, 2013 at 04:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password