Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

StowePhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

Hi guys,

I am attempting to photograph some hand blown glass pieces for a friend to use for promotion of his skill and craft.
Currently I have a table, white muslin backdrop, soft box on a cheetah stand powered by a 580EXII, a reflector and a 5DMKIII on a tripod.

I am curious, is there a preferred single modeling light that I should use rather than strobe the flash through the soft box? As predicted, I am getting a square reflection in each piece from the soft box. Also, what techniques are proven to work for lighting from below, or above?

I'd love to see your setup or be pointed in the direction of finding a better light setup.

Thanks for any advice or examples!

Jesse

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:08 PM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

Check out Alex Koloskov's tutorials http://www.photigy.com/tabletop/

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:16 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

It's not about the type of light it's about the light modifier and technique. For example if this is a vase or bottle you are shooting, try this. Place your subject on a black piece of fabric or mat board. Place your light with softbox directly overhead and down low. Then place a couple of black cards on either side of the subject (negative fill) or white card for a rim, and shoot it that way. You might have to use a white reflector down low and in front to bounce a little light back onto the subject if you need too. Simple one light set up for glass. You can also try back lighting it with the same black cards on either side. Here are a few examples using a single Elinchrom RX-600 and Stripbox or Beauty Dish overhead.

Edited on Mar 26, 2013 at 04:59 PM · View previous versions

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:23 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

I suggest you buy and read "Light - Science & Magic"to learn how to light this and other reflective subjects.

<Chas>

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:34 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

StowePhoto wrote:
...is there a preferred single modeling light that I should use rather than strobe the flash through the soft box?

Not sure what you mean here: a "modeling light" is a continuous light attached to a flash unit to allow the photographer to see what effect the flash will have on the subject.

"Strobing" is firing a flash multiple times in rapid succession, often to allow stop-motion visualization of a moving object; a timing light, for example.

StowePhoto wrote:
...As predicted, I am getting a square reflection in each piece from the soft box.

In addition to reading Light -- Science and Magic as suggested by cwebster, one way to remove reflections of the light source is to take multiple shots, with different light placements, and then make a composite from the individual images using sections that don't have the unwanted reflection.

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:09 PM
StowePhoto

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

This may be a silly question, but where would you purchase both black and white cards, or foam board? Staples? Or are you using photo specific cards?

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

I use various materials, but you can get black mat board at any art supply store and places like Staples, you can get black fabrics at any fabric store. I like mat not shiny black materials. Just cut pieces a little larger than your subject and prop them up next to it just out of the lenses view. Just experiment.

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:30 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

StowePhoto wrote:
This may be a silly question, but where would you purchase both black and white cards, or foam board? Staples? Or are you using photo specific cards?

Staples and Office Depot are both good, but I've moved to Hobby Lobby since one opened in my town recently; they have a huge selection of sizes and materials.

As Gregg mentioned, any art supply store should have a pretty good selection; there's no need to go to a photography shop unless you need a certified neutral gray card for color management or something along those lines.

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

I'm glad they named the book, Light -- Science and Magic. Because, Light -- Science and Prestodigitation isn't as catchy.

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:20 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

Savas K wrote:
I'm glad they named the book, Light -- Science and Magic. Because, Light -- Science and Prestodigitation isn't as catchy.

Neither is Light -- Science and Prestidigitation.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:42 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best light for shooting blown glass?

Oops!

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:33 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password