Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Facebook for Landscape Photographers... it works!

PeakPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Facebook for Landscape Photographers... it works!

So I know a lot of people are timid about "wasting" time with a Facebook business page, and I can tell you for a fact it's worth it! And I'm talking strictly a landscape photographer, the results for a wedding/portrait photographer are much larger.

Little backstory behind me as a photog. I'm a college football player, time is not something I have a lot of. But I love photography and had an old 30D with a 28-135 lens. I started my business a little more than a year ago just to generate some money via print sales to buy a lens or two. Well today I'm sitting pretty with a 60D, a 6D, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 16-35 f/2.8, and the list goes on and now I'm just stocking money for after college (with a few purchases here and there).

My background is Psychology as that's what I'm going to school for, I see myself as a pretty good marketer (far from an expert though). I do zero advertising in my area and very little paid advertising on Facebook. The other day I decided to conduct a survey with all my past print customers and so I hit my email list from the past 6 months-ish of clients, a list of 86 (some of you may think this is small, but this is my first year afterall and I don't have much time to dedicate to the business). First question was how they heard about me, the results were staggering in the way of Facebook. All but one had found me through Facebook and bought a print.

So if you are thinking about doing, stop thinking and just do it. With a little work and collaboration with other pages I am sitting at 1,149 likes for year one. I don't see myself as near the best in my area either, but I'm dominating them in print sales because of how I market my business. I did 8 sales the other day because of one simple post, if anybody wants to know how feel free to ask

If you are struggling with Facebook, or wanting to start one and don't know where to start. Feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

Or if you want to look at my Facebook to get an idea of what my posts are like, you are more than welcome to
Facebook.com/PeakPhotographer

Happy shooting (and selling)

Andy

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:21 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Facebook for Landscape Photographers... it works!

I had not done much with FB because I was good with SEO and my clients found me since I was on top of all search results. With recent changes by Google it is harder and harder to keep on top. I just started working FB but for me it just seems odd to tell people what I am doing. I know I am old school where you never disclose your jobs etc. I don't sell stock images but know if I get past my old ways of thinking FB could be great for marketing. I may even try and take some images that could be sold. My office is one minute from one of the largest tourist attractions in my state. Thanks for the insight.

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Kory Lidstrom
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Facebook for Landscape Photographers... it works!

Nice post, Andy. Sent you a PM.

Cheers!

-Kory

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM
24Peter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Facebook for Landscape Photographers... it works!

+1

Mar 27, 2013 at 02:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Facebook for Landscape Photographers... it works!

I really did not expect the great response from people through PMs. I feel like I should right an ebook on the matter haha. Anyway I plan to get to all of you in length just give me some time. But I'm happy to help and enjoy doing so.

I went to one of the biggest entrepreneur's conferences in the country a few weeks ago. It was all about online marketing and SEO. I felt pretty cool because it would have cost me $4,000 to go and they saw a lot of potential in me so they actually hooked me up at no cost! Long story short, I learned a lot in 3 days about blogging, seo, and social media and I'm happy to share it.

Mar 27, 2013 at 03:33 AM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Facebook for Landscape Photographers... it works!

I don't get why the secret questions via PM. What is it about photographers that makes them so self concious about sharing information?

I'm curious, out of your 1449 likes that you have now, how many were from friends that were already on your personal FB page, and what have you done as far as promotions to increase your likes, if anything?

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:28 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Facebook for Landscape Photographers... it works!

I've never enjoyed facebook. Maybe it's just me, but nothing about it feels genuine. Individual users are always puffing up their chests to make themselves seem important, and it is a never ending sales pitch from businesses.

Also, I get tired of people asking me to "like" them all the time. It always feels very desperate --- as if the people have no friends and just want to be liked by someone.

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:43 AM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Facebook for Landscape Photographers... it works!

jefferies1 wrote:
I had not done much with FB because I was good with SEO and my clients found me since I was on top of all search results. With recent changes by Google it is harder and harder to keep on top. I just started working FB but for me it just seems odd to tell people what I am doing. I know I am old school where you never disclose your jobs etc. I don't sell stock images but know if I get past my old ways of thinking FB could be great for marketing. I may even try
...Show more
I've had a lot of experience with SEO as well, and it's so tough because you'll never know what google will do next as you said (I'm far from an expert on SEO though). It is odd to be sharing with your customers what you're doing. Although I'll never tell them information like my costs, etc. But my most popular posts are often behind the scenes looks at my life as a photographer. Just telling people my excitement over getting to shoot Costa Rica in May for Kelty Backpacks had over 60 likes.

The wonderful thing about Facebook is it allows people to constantly keep up with your new images (great for selling prints). Because even if you're great at SEO, that still means people have to be looking for pictures. And if they find and even bookmark your website what are the odds they are going to come back frequently to check for updates. With Facebook you're bringing the new images to them.

Best of luck!

time2clmb wrote:
I don't get why the secret questions via PM. What is it about photographers that makes them so self concious about sharing information?

I'm curious, out of your 1449 likes that you have now, how many were from friends that were already on your personal FB page, and what have you done as far as promotions to increase your likes, if anything?

I never said people have to PM me, I'm happy to answer questions out in the open. I have no great secrets, just some advice and help. But people have specific questions and therefore have been messaging me with their questions. If I somehow gave the impression that people

Ok on to your question. Of the likes I have, 100 come from my personal page and are friends of mine. The rest I consider potential customers. And as far as promotions I've done two giveaways that garnished quite a few likes that translated to print sales. What I've been recommending to a lot of people is to work with local Facebook pages to increase your reach. I'll often use Facebook as my page and go post a recent picture on a local news outlet or newspaper and they often share them (I don't ever put go like my page or anything likes that, people don't like that). But if their fans like the image a lot of times they'll go like your page. The other thing you can do is co-promotions with local businesses (that you don't compete with) who have a lot of likes. Say you'll donate a print and you can do a giveaway together. Make the rules something along the lines of you must like both pages to enter. These work wonders.

Ben Horne wrote:
I've never enjoyed facebook. Maybe it's just me, but nothing about it feels genuine. Individual users are always puffing up their chests to make themselves seem important, and it is a never ending sales pitch from businesses.

Also, I get tired of people asking me to "like" them all the time. It always feels very desperate --- as if the people have no friends and just want to be liked by someone.

Nobody says you have to like Facebook, nor use it. But I'm just here to say that it does work for promoting a business. And you don't have to constantly use it as a sales pitch. When I post images I try to talk about the image first, then at the end just simply say "If you want to buy a print of this image click here: link". Because I find if I don't do that then people are asking me where they can buy the print. But I do a lot of sales and other things through the page and people really enjoy that. If they don't, they can unlike it. Those aren't the customers I'm targeting anyway.

I also don't constantly hit people up for likes, I tried that when I first started out only to find it doesn't work and just annoys people. I just use the strategies I already talked about to gain "likes". For me I could care less about the attention of "likes" but I treat every like as a possible client/customer. Facebook gives you great access to interact with your fans.

Andy

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:05 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password