Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help - Two

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help - Two

Here are two more images for review. Per Chuck's suggestion I tried a Check Mate, and the last board played on the Bobby Fisher - Spassky, match, 1972.. Fisher forced a obvious untenable position and Spassky conceded. Thank you for looking and please leave comments as that is how we learn. Jim

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    100mm    f/2.8    2s    50 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    100mm    f/2.8    2s    50 ISO    +1.5 EV  

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:56 PM
beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help - Two

I'm not worthy of much note, but I think the from-the-top viewpoint doesn't do as well as a more horizontal "through the pieces" look. The problem I have with the first one as a chess player is that it's an impossible position and therefore obviously a setup. The second one has too much in focus and would benefit from a less vertical viewpoint.

Get down behind the fallen king, looking more or less horizontally, and with the king in focus show that he is surrounded by enemies. You'll have to move the taken white pieces out of the way.

It might work better with a chess set that has larger pieces. Chess is a fascinating subject for this sort of photography.

just my $.01.

k

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:56 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help - Two

beanpkk wrote:
I'm not worthy of much note, but I think the from-the-top viewpoint doesn't do as well as a more horizontal "through the pieces" look. The problem I have with the first one as a chess player is that it's an impossible position and therefore obviously a setup. The second one has too much in focus and would benefit from a less vertical viewpoint.

Get down behind the fallen king, looking more or less horizontally, and with the king in focus show that he is surrounded by enemies. You'll have to move the taken white pieces out of the way.

It might work
...Show more

Thank you. Image one is a figurative "check mark" With the fallen king representing Defeat.. Image #2 is a reproduction of the final board in the 1972 Fisher - Spassky 6th game. Spassky conceded when Fisher's move created a "Forced Mate".. Thank you for the input. The chess set is "Tiny", maybe 4x4 inch with 1/2 inch figures. I Leave the big board at home when we travel. I am posting 2 more today as we narrow down our WA entry. Jim (Credit need be given to Chuck Gardener for the chess photo's idea. Thanks Chuck)

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:29 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help - Two

Thanks for trying the suggestion... I'd shoot it as if it were seen from behind Spassky showing his POV of Fisher's winning strategy with a lower angle, fallen King in foreground, surrounded by the other pieces seen OOF in the background.

I'd like to see the camera angle low enough so the pieces in the background seem to loom over the fallen King, but high enough so the board squares and piece positions can be seen.

You might also try several exposures with different focus points then blend them with layers / masks to selectively control what is sharp and blurred.

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:46 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help - Two

cgardner wrote:
Thanks for trying the suggestion... I'd shoot it as if it were seen from behind Spassky showing his POV of Fisher's winning strategy with a lower angle, fallen King in foreground, surrounded by the other pieces seen OOF in the background.

I'd like to see the camera angle low enough so the pieces in the background seem to loom over the fallen King, but high enough so the board squares and piece positions can be seen.

You might also try several exposures with different focus points then blend them with layers / masks to selectively control what is sharp
...Show more

thanks, I will give it a shot an post the results. Jim

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password