Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Strange???

notsri

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strange???

While taking photos with my D700 and a 80-200 AFS at f/8 with a 1.4 teleconverter gripped, photos looked like
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8527/8583506066_1f10e8c8ed_c.jpg
After about 10 shots it went back to normal. Also the shutter kept sticking open. No error message. I was shooting at iso 800 f/8 1/1600sec and zoomed to 280mm

Help with photo and sticking shutter. I only had one nikon en-el3e battery in the grip FYI

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strange???

No idea what's going on with your camera other than it does look like a sticking (mechanical vs. electronic ) shutter or aperture causing the overexposure. Hard to tell from this image if the dof is consistent with the dof of your other images. If dof is significantly more shallow, then I'd be inclined to think sticking aperture vs. shutter. If dof is essentially the same, then I'd think shutter.

BTW, what shooting mode and what metering mode were you shooting in? Spot metering could have fooled your meter to overexpose significantly, especially if you had were using it in conjunction with EC. I suspect that's not the case as you were likely shooting manual exposure, but "no stone unturned" ...

Took a stab at recovery. Better to work from raw of course, but it's salvageable if there is a keeper shot worth the effort.

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:45 PM
notsri

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strange???

I was shooting in Aperture Priority at f/8 with Matrix Metering.

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:23 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strange???

Matrix Metering is much tougher to "fool" than spot, unless it perceived the central dark area as a gross underexposure of the subject in a backlit scene (due to the wall) and tried to overcompensate for the exposure at the subject area.

Grasping here a bit, but what does your EXIF info say the shutter, aperture and ISO were for the image. Do they report the same 800,f8,1/600 or was there something different in the EXIF?

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:42 PM
notsri

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strange???

EXIF reads the same as camera settings I posted earlier. The only thing I saw that was different was a manual white balance that was 4350K from a previous shoot.

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:59 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password