Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

http://www.elinchrom.com/sets.php?base_set=128

Is anyone else excited about these new Quadras? They aren't cheap, but I just love simple, lightweight gear and these really seem to deliver on that. The heads are tiny as always, but the new Li-Ion packs are only 4.5 pounds! Not to mention that they have the built-in wireless receivers and can now be controlled with an iPhone or iPad. Cool stuff.

I guess I'm just sick of my Alien Bees stuff and hate fussing with speedlights and triggers and brackets... all of that is integrated into these and they're just so damn small and light. Anyway, what do you guys think of these? Or, if you own or have used them, what do you think of the old Quadras?

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

I love my Quadra system it is just a wonderful piece of equipment, light, fast, and beautiful light quality. The Li-Ion battery makes it even more awesome. If you need the extra power and the light modifier choices it affords you over Speedlights it can't be beat. There is a place for both Speedlights and bigger flash but if you need higher portable power the Quadra rocks. However, the Li-Ion battery and charger are expensive so if you don't need the extra recycling speed you should compare having two lead acid batteries versus one Lion-Ion. Be sure to get the head adapter bracket though you 'll will want it especially if you have any existing Elinchrom modifiers.

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:58 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

No thanks. I like my AB1600 and Mini when I need more power than my speedlights; both are still pretty portable. Besides that I wouldn't want to have to carry my phone or tablet to control my lights when I can do that from my camera with the wireless trigger that's already atop in the hotshoe.

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

While I'm sure your set up works for you it's not in the same league or category as a Quadra. First you don't need an iPad or Phone to adjust it. That is just an option if you want to. The on camera adjustment is done from your camera with the Skyport Transmiter. Second the Quadra head is way lighter and smaller than an AB 1600 and has 6 stops of adjustment and the temperature control is much better. So when you are outdoor and the wind is factor that's a huge benefi. Then there's all the great Elinchrom light modifiers. And with the Lio-ion battery nothing else compares unless you want spend 2 grand more for Profoto.

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:34 PM
mikejl29
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Unfortunate the Ranger RX Li-Ion battery has been in development for years with no end in sight. Very nice addition for Quadra owners though.

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:47 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

cordellwillis wrote:
Besides that I wouldn't want to have to carry my phone or tablet to control my lights when I can do that from my camera with the wireless trigger that's already atop in the hotshoe.

Gotta love the internet for its super disinformation.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:52 AM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Thanks for the input guys! Gregg, it's great to hear that you're so happy with them.

Man, I'm totally sold on these things. If I had a real studio, I'd want some big lights too, but most of the time, I'm throwing up temporary setups in my house, my clients' houses, or outside somewhere, and these are just the ticket for that. I've gotten to the point where I really know what I like, and it's the little things that add up to a more usable and enjoyable setup for me. Since the heads are so light, they won't require heavy stands or booms, and when you don't have an assistant, lightweight (and very small) stuff is just a godsend for transport. Controlling the power from the camera is another great feature--the less I have to run around, the better.

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:49 AM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

myam203 wrote:
Since the heads are so light, they won't require heavy stands or booms

True, but you've still got full-sized modifiers.

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:39 AM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Definitely, but you're still ahead of the game with the Quadras. Put the same modifiers on some AB lights and you have a much heavier setup.

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:52 AM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

myam203 wrote:
Definitely, but you're still ahead of the game with the Quadras. Put the same modifiers on some AB lights and you have a much heavier setup.

Agree, they're a million times better than ABs, etc., but I still feel much more secure if they're on a weighted C-Stand or the like.

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Yes I wouldn't want to cheat on the stand weight or size outdoor just because the head is light. Especially with the price of a head. But if you are mobile and especially without an assistant the Quadra makes a big difference in overall packing weight. The weight of the pack makes a nice little sand bag also. But do your due diligence and look at some of the on-line reviews. Unfortunately, most of them are for the first generation and the latest improvements are significant. But you can get an idea if it's the right product for you. People like Joe McNally, Frank Doorhof, and Scott Kelby have a lot of good words for it.

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:07 PM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Thanks again Gregg. Of course, you're right, I would never sacrifice the stability of my stands for the sake of saving a pound or two.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

cordellwillis wrote:
No thanks. I like my AB1600 and Mini when I need more power than my speedlights; both are still pretty portable. Besides that I wouldn't want to have to carry my phone or tablet to control my lights when I can do that from my camera with the wireless trigger that's already atop in the hotshoe.

I bought two double head Quadra sets back in late 2009 and they have been very useful. But I still kept my AB1600s for those times when I need the output. The primary reason I chose the Quadras at the time was I wanted something more portable and battery powered than the ABs, while still giving decent output. But also for the shot to shot output consistency and the much shorter flash duration. What some might not know about many monolights is that when the output is dialed down, the flash duration gets a lot longer. Because I was using the ABs for both lighting up large spaces and portraits in confined areas, I found when doing the portraits that working at 1/8 or 1/16 output resulted in such long flash durations that I was actually seeing image blur due to either camera movement (I started shooting portraits on a tripod because of this) or subject movement. The cheapest solution would have been buying a few AB400s, but that would only have addressed the flash duration problem, probably not the shot to shot output consistency. Neither of these points is a problem with the Quadras, especially flash duration with the A heads.

Anyway, I really like how portable the kits are and how small and light the heads are. I'd like to get a couple of the lithium batteries, but at the moment the price is holding me back. If I used the lights a lot more, then maybe I would. Three years into ownership though, the lead batteries are starting to lose their capacity and I find I'm swapping them out rather frequently.

Had the Buff Einsteins been available in late 2009 along with the Vagabond Mini, I probably would have gone with four of those instead because they address the shot to shot output inconsistency of the ABs and unlike most mono lights, the flash duration gets shorter as the power is reduced. But I admit the size and utility of the Quadras has been great and there have been a few jobs where placement of the small heads in very confined areas has paid off.

Nothing fancy, but here's an on-location head shot set-up where I was stuck in a small office with a table that was fixed to the floor and couldn't be removed:

Also, it took me a few years, but I found a nice transport solution - the Pelican 1440 roller:

A brief write-up with some additional photos.

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:37 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Nice set up Rom but where are the heads?

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:51 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

If you click on the last link, there are more photos that include the heads. They fit in a 'tray' that sits above the packs.

Mar 31, 2013 at 01:45 AM
leethecam
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

The new Elinchroms are certainly very nice.

Have you looked at the Lencarta range of lightweight lights. Li-Ion, metal heads (that weigh next to nothing), Bowens style fittings, 2x channel (giving 1x 600W or 400 / 200W) and has a LED modeling light.

I just got a 2 head set for £1000 ish, including a nicely made rigid bag that holds everything.

It would have been nice if the heads had optical sensors to go with the mini-jack trigger socket - but you can't have everything...

I'd been looking at the Elinchrom and also the Lencarta. Up until March this year, both only offered plastic heads which makes me nervous about mounting heavy fittings, but the new metal Lencarta heads made up my mind.

Worth a look...

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:38 AM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Thanks for all the info Ron!

leethecam, those Lencarta lights look great! I'd just be worried about getting support and all, since they're only distributed in Europe.

Mar 31, 2013 at 03:00 PM
leethecam
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Yes they're a smaller company - but you always get through to the guys who look after you. So small but personal...

Might be worth calling them up and finding out. Nothing's broke on my stuff so I have no idea what the back up is like, but they strike me as the sorts who will go the extra mile if they can.

LEE

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:10 PM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Thanks again Lee and everyone else. By the way, are there any other portable pack and head lights out there that I should be looking at?

Apr 01, 2013 at 08:25 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

There are a couple more solutions you could look at;

Lumedynes range from 200ws to 3200ws using the same packs additional boosters and various battery solutions and heads.

Or Quantum provide 80 - 400ws heads remote radio TTL, Manual and Auto.

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:18 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password