Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · ND110 artifacts

hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ND110 artifacts

I have just started experimenting with long exposures and got the ND110 as a starter. I made a few tests and it seems that the filter has a strong color cast which I can live with (I am color blind anyway), however, what I can't figure out is the haze/flare I get with long exposures. I am sure I am doing something wrong and it's the equipment to be blamed. These artifacts also show up with other lenses where I don't use step up rings. Now if it's flare how come it doesn't show up with normal shots that I take without the filter, and what's with the haze?

The other thing is that the shots always look very underexposed although I use the conversion chart.

I used a D600 and a Sigma 35 1.4 for these shots and 2 step up rings for the ND110.

I appreciate your help!

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:56 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ND110 artifacts

That haze looks like it could be a camera light leak, through eyepiece and around the edge of the mirror --- since you're taking much longer exposures with bright light still hitting the outside of the camera, you're more sensitive to this. Have you tried covering up the viewfinder eyepiece during exposure? Many cameras come with a little rubber thingamajig on the strap designed to slip over the eyepiece, and recommend doing that for long exposures.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:31 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ND110 artifacts

mpmendenhall wrote:
That haze looks like it could be a camera light leak, through eyepiece and around the edge of the mirror --- since you're taking much longer exposures with bright light still hitting the outside of the camera, you're more sensitive to this. Have you tried covering up the viewfinder eyepiece during exposure? Many cameras come with a little rubber thingamajig on the strap designed to slip over the eyepiece, and recommend doing that for long exposures.

Thanks a lot for the tip, I will try covering the eyepiece next time though I don't have the rubber thingy... I will figure something out

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:14 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password