Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Suggestions for what I should put in my resume!

mowensphotogra
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Suggestions for what I should put in my resume!

I finally decided to pulled up a bunch of shots that I thought were pretty good. I might have thrown a few not so great ones in there by accident(oops!) and seeing as I don't have photoshop anymore, some of which aren't edited or cropped properly.

I made a new flickr just to make this easier. I put everything in sets and numbered each photo so it'll be easier to identify which ones you like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94195270@N04/sets
(copy and paste in browser if the link doesn't include "@N04/sets")

Let me know what you think I should send out!

Much appreciated to whomever helps out!

Mike

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Suggestions for what I should put in my resume!

Categorically here's my take on things.

Lose the Miscellaneous
Lose the Studio Portraits
Lose the MTV Bullrun
... they aren't helping you any and send a message ranging from snapshot to poor.

The categories to work with for me are:
Women's Soccer (your best work, imo)
Product Shots (shows other than sports)
Horseback Riding ... maybe one or two continuing in the sports theme. I'm thinking that these could benefit from some re-shoots though. They don't quite strike me the way that the soccer shots do.

Men's Basketball ... likely could use some help from PP to improve them. As is they are middle ground for me. Nothing too bad, just nothing inspiring ... a few "interesting". Likely a byproduct of shooting ambient/low contrast lighting, no crop, no PP yet to bring them to their peak.

I'd dig into selecting the best of your soccer to make them most powerful ... i.e. lead with your strength. If you can PP your basketball, there are a few that could make a nice (secondary) complement to the soccer to convey "sports photography". A couple good horseback (they quickly begin to look repetitive) to transition from team to individual sports. The product shots (only 4) would then express that you are also more than just sports. The other stuff ... hide it as quickly as you can, it sends the wrong message.

My .02 ... HTH

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:38 PM
mowensphotogra
• •
p.1 #3 · Suggestions for what I should put in my resume!

First off, I TRULY appreciate the feedback =D

I purely made that account for suggestions on picking somewhere around 10 images to submit with my resume.

I was told by a friend that having a variety of images shows that you're versatile but if it substitutes some of your better images for sub-par images, stick with what you're good at. I think that's what you're trying to say?

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Suggestions for what I should put in my resume!

Lead with your strength, don't show your weaknesses.

Three awesome shots that make people certain that you know what you are doing is better than three hundred mediocre shots that make people certain you don't. It's your choice @ what you want them to think of you. Imo, it is more important that they feel certain that you know what you are doing than them thinking you do a lot of different things so-so.

I'm the kind of person that likes shooting different things in different genre's too ... but I don't show all my junk. Even within the realm of diversity, you still want to find those things that can make you distinctly you. You're selling you, so present you as best you can.

The volume of your port can grow with time ... everybody had a small body of work at one time or another. That is something that people can accept for someone starting out. The impression that you're okay with mediocre work is NOT something they'll find acceptable ... would you? Gotta hide your junk at all costs.

Edited on Mar 19, 2013 at 06:16 PM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2013 at 06:07 PM
mowensphotogra
• •
p.1 #5 · Suggestions for what I should put in my resume!

Understood. I'll look through the soccer and try to narrow it down to the best.

Thanks a lot man! =D

Mar 19, 2013 at 06:09 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Suggestions for what I should put in my resume!

RustyBug wrote:
Lead with your strength, don't show your weaknesses.

Three awesome shots that make people certain that you know what you are doing is better than three hundred mediocre shots that make people certain you don't. It's your choice @ what you want them to think of you. Imo, it is more important that they feel certain that you know what you are doing than them thinking you do a lot of different things so-so.

I'm the kind of person that likes shooting different things in different genre's too ... but I don't show all my junk. Even within the realm of
...Show more

Kent has offered you some very sound advice. Having been involved in the hiring process I can total agree. Show your best or do not show them.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password