Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D7100 shot - Suggestions?

rennocneb
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7100 shot - Suggestions?

Looking for some useful critique of the photo. It was shot on my wifes new D7100 I bought her as a gift. Pretty impressive little camera. I still prefer my d800 but for the money pretty nice piece.

Mar 17, 2013 at 04:29 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7100 shot - Suggestions?

There are many issues with this image, making it hard to know where to start. I guess the first issue should be the lack of color space information. Without knowing which color space was chosen, it's a roll of the dice whether the way it displays on my screen looks the way you intend. It seems to have excessive contrast and renders with a red/magenta color cast - perhaps splash back light from the background. The strangely rendered areas around her hair I'm guessing is a result of indelicate retouching. The mottling in the background I'd guess is residual from partially blurred wrinkles. The image also suffers from excessive contrast, rending broad areas of skin highlights without skin texture and creating deep hair shadows that look strange in blond hair. Although it's possible some of these issues may be camera related, my guess is they are lighting and post-processing problems. If so, the lighting, post-processing issues and absence of EXIF data make it difficult to make comments upon the camera's rendition capabilities.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7100 shot - Suggestions?

+1 @ Karen ... processing / color space ... it's kinda hot. What space did you use? Imbedded? post up the raw/sooc?

It's got a lot going on that takes it away from the person for me. The intense colors and a few other things command my attention away from the subject. Here's a BW rendering with a slight crop and a few tweaks to try & pull us more toward the subject. I gather you were experimenting a bit with the color play / lighting etc. but for me it is too strong in areas that pull us away, rather than help push us toward her.

For someone else, they may find it a creative pic with the intense red color, but for me, the "what's the point" of a portrait is to bring us toward the subject. But, I get that some people just want a "cool pic" that's different. Kinda depends on your objective / message that you want to convey to your viewer ... drawn to the person vs. drawn to the "this is different". This one strikes me like when the background singers and band are so loud that they drown out the lead singer ... the main thing got drowned out by the supporting cast and you can't really hear the real message.

The posing seems a bit static and her expression isn't very engaging, so the conversion to B&W with a slight rotation was my effort to change things up a bit. Probably not what you were going for, but maybe it'll serve as an illustration/study of the differences involved.

BTW, my patriotism is diggin' the red, white & blue ... but they aren't helping us to see her more clearly. Kinda reminds me of an example as to how/why it is tougher to be a good portrait photographer than we often think it is ... and knowing how tough it is makes me "too chicken" to try. I'd suggest tone it down, work on her expression/posing and give it another go.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password