Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

ronfronberg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

Why do people list an item for sale as Brand New when they have used it, taken it out of the box, put it in a computer, etc?

Brand New I always thought was what it says, never used in its original factory sealed box.

Mar 14, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #2 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

Semantics. I still consider electronic devices as brand new if I have not activated it in any way, shape or form. This includes inserting the battery. If that has been done, it's not brand new, imho.

Mar 14, 2013 at 06:48 PM
film_4ever
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

Wow, definitely not cool.

Obviously, they are trying to recoup their original investment, but that is totally unethical, IMHO.

My definition of brand new corresponds exactly with yours.

Mar 14, 2013 at 07:19 PM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #4 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

ronfronberg wrote:
Why do people list an item for sale as Brand New when they have used it, taken it out of the box, put it in a computer, etc?

Brand New I always thought was what it says, never used in its original factory sealed box.

+1

I never understood why people do this either. If you've opened the box, popped in the battery, mounted a lens and shot x number of shots "to test" the camera it is no longer brand new.

Mar 14, 2013 at 09:14 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #5 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

I see people list equipment for sale as "Brand New In Box" (BNIB) to distinguish it from something that is "New" but that has been used once or twice to confirm it's working. Seems like a reasonable way to advertise the merchandise.

John

Mar 14, 2013 at 09:28 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

Hehe, you wanna see how "brand new it is?" Buy one off the shelf from any major dealer. Dealer hands it to you after the sale is completed. You immediately walk down the aisle to the "Used" department and explain: "KInd sir, I'd like to know what this Brand New YYYYYY is worth right now, if you'd be so kind." He'll say, open the box and let me check it out. You do that, and he'll give you a price that's no better than 70% of what you just paid for it. Moral of the story? You bought it, whether you opened the box or not, it's USED. (Of course, gang, I know you could return it for a full refund, but that's not the point).

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #7 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

BluesWest wrote:
I see people list equipment for sale as "Brand New In Box" (BNIB) to distinguish it from something that is "New" but that has been used once or twice to confirm it's working. Seems like a reasonable way to advertise the merchandise.

John

If it has been tested it is not Brand New and it is not "New". The seller should list it as "Like New" or "New But Tested" or something along those lines.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

Agreed

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:19 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

ronfronberg wrote:

New is from the reseller. Unopened is still secondhand, and there is usually no warranty.

EBH

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:33 AM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #10 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

EB-1 wrote:
New is from the reseller. Unopened is still secondhand, and there is usually no warranty.

EBH

I agree with you. There are only 2 companies that I am aware of where the warranty stays with the item, Apple and Dell. With Dell you need to know the original purchaser of the item. I heard that Lenovo's warranty stays with the item but I have not verified it.

Mar 15, 2013 at 03:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

ronfronberg wrote:
...Brand New I always thought was what it says, never used in its original factory sealed box.

Agreed. LNIB (Like New In Box) is a common way to describe items that have been opened and maybe handled a bit, but not actually used. LNIB comes with everything that was in the original, unopened box, and the original box.

If a LNIB item was bought from a retailer by somebody else and then sold to you, then the OEM warranty is void for most products, including all Canon products. Some third-party warranties may remain valid, but you have to check the fine print.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #12 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

Anthoney is 150% correct! In fact there is no such things as a brand new item that is listed by a member of this forum for the reason that was stated previously. If tittle to the item has changed hands, even if the box has never been opened, it is not brand new.

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:57 PM
mpix345
• •
p.1 #13 · Listed as Brand New When It Is Not Brand New

Brand New listings are a pet peeve of mine. If the box has never been opened/items never removed I'm OK with Brand New description, even though warranty may be an issue. But if you have used the item it is not new. Doesn't matter how little you used it or how perfect it is.

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:31 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password