Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Any A99 users out there?

ocean2059
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Any A99 users out there?

I also found that autofocus is more accurate on A99 than A900, especially for large f-stop lenses. My Sony 50/1.4, ZA 24/2, Minolta 100/2 and Minolta 28/2 focus flawlessly WO on A99.

Mar 11, 2013 at 08:16 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #2 · Any A99 users out there?

Can you please explain how the magnifying thing works using the EVF? Is the button pushing/placement made quick, easy and logical? The Rokkor 58/1.2 has no issues in a-mount, and if the EVF magnifying works well, it would be a great portrait combo. Edit: When I think of it, I believe you have peaking available in EVF as well. Not bad.

Mar 11, 2013 at 08:20 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Any A99 users out there?

ocean, people moan about the clustering of AF points near the frame centre as expected, but otherwise seem happy enough. Great to hear your experience as I have yet to shoot a single image with an AF lens, must try it someday to see if it works.

I leave the mirror in place purely as a dust protector (it really works for this) and because I am happy with what I get at ISO 3200-5000, even 6400 for some subjects. I hope you enjoy yours. BTW, the mirror is apparently easy to remove and refit - this is hearsay only, but might interest 'freak like me' who was mentioning taking it out some time back if he got one.

If one did this, you have the performance at high ISO of the RX1, though there may some slight differences due to the AF stuff on the sensors in both cameras perhaps. Sony are moving ahead on this front fast, ahead of the 'FF NEX'.

Mar 11, 2013 at 09:50 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Any A99 users out there?

philip_pj wrote:
BTW, the mirror is apparently easy to remove and refit - this is hearsay only, but might interest 'freak like me' who was mentioning taking it out some time back if he got one.

i was asking about that too when this first came out. glad to hear people are doing it without a problem. i don't think i'll be buying any slr shaped cameras for a while though (well maybe a film one...).

Mar 11, 2013 at 09:59 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Any A99 users out there?

mortyb,
You have three colours of peaking (red, yellow and white) in three strengths of visibility of effect (weak, medium and strong). It's handy for several things but EVF focus mag is the cat's whiskers, you have to use it to see how good it is.

As with many Sony bodies, you can adjust buttons to many fucntions. My favourite button for shot preparation is the small AF/MF button that sits under the natural position of the right thumb, behind the top right extent of the body. I program this to EVF focus mag. So my procedure is this:

. raise camera to eye to turn on EVF;

. aim at subject and click the AF/MF button once to see the box show up (superfluous step IMO) and a 2nd time to get focus mag level 1 (L1); this gives you 5.9x, a good amount of extra reach and is enough for general focus using say mid apertures for a landscape or similar;

. the killer is press AF/MF button another time to get L2 (this is 11.7x), which turns your (say) 100mm lens into an 1170mm super-telephoto! A 21mm lens becomes as easy to focus as a 230mm and so on.

Start looking for tiny objects to focus your manual focus lens on - hairs, eyelashes, plant edges, distant people who cannot be seen with the naked eye (really, with a 100mm lens this actually happens). This is a sensor feed so no focus shift. You literally cannot miss, no need for contrast, aiming at squares, no hunting, no micro-adjust. Just raw magnification. You feel very in control, it is also very peaceful, no humming and whirring.

(I left out the exposure setting step; this is easy also, using exp comp to finetune the EVF histo in A mode. It's often good enough to start with.)

If you have a fast lens and a shop nearby, you could try it yourself.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mortyb
• • •
p.2 #6 · Any A99 users out there?

Philip, thanks a lot for the detailed info. Very interesting.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Any A99 users out there?

sebboh wrote:
i was asking about that too when this first came out. glad to hear people are doing it without a problem. i don't think i'll be buying any slr shaped cameras for a while though (well maybe a film one...).

Yeah, a friend of mine told me he took his out to shoot video with some cine-converted lenses and then put it back in to use his ZA 24 and 135. He made it sound very simple.

I've been going back and forth on purchasing the a99, and while I still think it's just a question of when, not if, I'm still having a great time with the a900. Everytime I think I'm ready to pull the trigger, I pick up the a900 and it's like it says to me, "I'm already here. You already know me. You know what I'm going to do and you know you'll like it. The only difference is I make you work a little harder for it." If I didn't also already have an NEX-7 for close/macro stuff, where I find the digital zooming to be most useful, it would probably be a different story.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Any A99 users out there?

We all have different needs and priorities, FLM, and so many good ways to get it done.

I went looking to see how other EVFs work, and found this rather interesting subjective assessment of the EVFs of the NEX7, a99, OM-D and the new Leica M. I guess how it is unfolding explains and vindicates Sony's controversial shift from the OVF era, and how far they have progressed in a short time:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/257806-evfs-compared-m-nex7-a99-om.html

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM
ksbuehler

p.2 #9 · Any A99 users out there?

I've been very happy with my A99. I've been working on tilt/shift photography the last couple years, and this camera is awesome for that. The focus peaking + in body stabilization are very helpful. I use a mirex to M645 t/s adapter with programmable confirmation chips, letting me select 24, 35, 45, 55, 80, 120, 150, and 630mm for image stabilization purposes.

My M645 lenses are: 24/4 fisheye, 35/3.5, 45/2.8, 55/2.8, 80/1.9, 120/4 Macro, 150/2.8, 150/3.5, "500"/5.6 rubinar mirror (measured at 630mm via moon photos), 2x TC, and ext. tube set. Of these, the 80/1.9 and 150/2.8 are usually in my bag plus one of the wider lenses.

I have a few wide, non-tilt lenses: samyang 14/2.8 and samyang 24/1.4. I installed James Lao chips in both. This enables some very low shutter speeds. The 24/1.4 is a great lens. The 14/2.8 isn't all that sharp, but there isn't any other reasonably priced option for going ultra-wide on the rare occasion it's needed (I got mine for $340 via Adorama, branded as "pro-optic".

I also have a Minolta AF 200mm f/2.8 APO G HS and the matched 2x TC. This pairs well with the A99. This is a really nice lens, super sharp, fast A.F. ... however, it is usually redundant (not in the bag) since I prefer the tilt/swing flexibility given by using the mirex + 150/2.8. If I know I'll be doing action shots were fast AF is needed, I'll take the Minolta 200mm, but that usually isn't the case for me.

I have a couple cheap lenses I use when trying to travel light:
24/2.8 Sigma "super wide" - for a 24mm lens this has decent macro capability.
28/2.8 Minolta - a bit sharper than the Sigma 24/2.8.

Apr 26, 2013 at 06:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password