Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

Douglas_Bush
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

The first photograph is a winner in my book. I love the calm, quiet mood here. I'll have to look up this place on a map. I haven't the faintest idea where Mount Assiniboine is...

Mar 12, 2013 at 06:33 PM
billhughlett

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

#s 1 & 4 for me....I can't break the tie between them. Love night shots, but the sky in #4 makes it a tough choice IMHO. Also love the composition and detail in the shadows!

Mar 12, 2013 at 07:59 PM
rockytodd
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

I like the 1st best

Mar 12, 2013 at 08:15 PM
bpham
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

First one due to its 3D look at the top of the mountain peek. Actually it is the most special one among all by far. Great shot!

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM
dwa652
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

1 and 3 for me. I like the moodiness of 1 and the cheerfulness of 3.

Mar 13, 2013 at 04:50 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

Sunny Sra: I am a little biased but I think that Mount Assiniboine is the nicest spot in the Canadian Rockies. Not many people with big views and lots of hiking. And this is the first time I have gone in the winter. And it was great. Glad you like 1,2. Thanks for the detailed feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Steve Perry: Glad you like 1. It was worth it to stand in the dark at 4am in the cold with my snowshoes on. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

Douglas_Bush: Mount Assiniboine is a provincial park in BC, just south of Banff National Park (Alberta), all of which is about 200 miles north of the rockies in Montana. You either have to ski in 30km or helicopter (me with too much camera stuff), which means that there are few people which adds to its charm. The nice thing is that there are no lights except for the lodge for 40km in any direction. You can either stay at the campground, stay at some rustic cabins at $20/night or stay at the lodge for $300 pp per night including food and guiding. Glad you like 1. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

billhughlett: Glad you like 1,4. Thanks for the thoughts on the pictures. Much appreciated. Scott

rockytodd: Glad you like 1. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

bpham: Glad you like 1. It was fun to take. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dwa652: Moody and cheerful - I am glad you like 1,3. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:07 PM
Twisties
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

I couldn't pick a favorite here. All stunning. Each has it's standouts. I like the comp in #3, the stars and mood of #1, the drama of #4 and the color of #2. 4 winners!

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

The first shot is stunning.

Mar 14, 2013 at 01:34 AM
USM IS
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

Dang, I thought you couldn't top Assiniboine with the cabins..........brings back memories of '77 on horseback.
Mike

Mar 14, 2013 at 02:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CW100
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

for me - 1 and 3

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

I can't stop coming back to #1. It is, in my opinion, the standout winner here - and a standout photo anywhere.

It's uncommon to get such clarity in a moonlit picture, and the grey cloud in front of the mountain just adds a little something. Spectacular. If it were mine, it would be on my wall.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

Twisties: Glad you like them all. Thanks for the comments on each one. Much appreciated. Scott

thw2: Glad you like 1. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

USM IS: Assiniboine is very scene rich. My first time into it was walking in one day 27km and walking aout 27km the next day in 1984 or so. I did not have time or a camera to enjoy it. But I keep going back. Glad it stirred your memories. Much appreciated. Scott

CW100: Glad you like 1,3. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

binary visions: Glad you like the zeiss 25 f2 with 5diii and a bit of moon light. I really like this lens wide open - the hard stop at infinity (and just a smidge back) and high quality at f2 really works well. Thanks for the high praise (hang on the wall) . Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 14, 2013 at 01:44 PM
rpope
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

The moon light shot is Awesome Scott!!
Nice work and an excellent series.

Rich

Mar 14, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

Rpope: Glad you like the moon light. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 14, 2013 at 09:16 PM
shindig
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

#1 for me. can't believe it was shot at f2! (don't see that much DOF difefrence over the other shots shot at f8 or f 16).
moonlight works magic i guess!

Mar 16, 2013 at 03:12 AM
rjs14
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

#1 Rocks Scott. They are all great though.

Mar 16, 2013 at 05:41 AM
KCook0
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

dsjtecserv wrote:
Scott, I like them all, but like #1 apart from the others, that's a cool shot. But I think the sky may be darkened down a bit to much; it seems to envelop the top of the mountains. I think a mask that allowed the peaks to be brighter might move this one to the head of the class.

Otherwise, I prefer #3, but I think I'd like it even more it it were combined with #4 to include the right mountain cliffs and be framed by the grove of trees at far right. I realize these weren't taken from the
...Show more

+1

Mar 16, 2013 at 06:43 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

I dont like the usual and gravitate toward the surreal in my taste, so I would go with #1.

Mar 16, 2013 at 05:38 PM
grosema
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Mount Assiniboine - Alternative Shots

That #1 is SWEET
Great Shot

Mar 17, 2013 at 03:34 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2