Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

Gary Irwin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

Steve Perry wrote:
The rumor mill seems to think later this year with a revised 36Mp sensor. I like my D800 bodies, but I'd really like to go back to the pro body with that kind of sensor. Ahh, I miss my D3x!

A big +1 to this.

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:33 PM
ted33021

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

Have D4 now and love the build/speed but hope D4x has 24-36MP.

Would LOVE a D400 as bkup to replace my D7k as per EB-1 specs

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

Jim Gilley wrote:
Big Lloyd says 56MP and October announcement. I'm hoping he is right, but I'd settle for live view that actually works.

I'm usually the first guy in line for more MP, but honestly, 36Mp is starting to stress even my best glass around the edges (like the 14-24 & 24-70). Granted, the final image would still be slightly better with more MP - especially the central region, but I think at 56MP we're starting to get to the point of diminishing returns optically and paying for it with FPS and buffer depth.

My issue is I really liked my D3x for both landscapes and wildlife. It's only downfalls was, yup, buffer size and FPS. So, personally, I'm kind of hoping for something high res but with a deep buffer and faster FPS. Best of both worlds all in one camera.

Although, if they build it @ 56MP I'll probably still buy and favor my primes heavily

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:29 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

Andre Labonte wrote:
Maybe a double announcement ...

D4X @ 36MP, 6 FPS, FX sensor, integrated grip pro body, $8K
D400 @ 20MP, 8FPS, DX sensor, non-integrated grip pro body, $2K

That would complete the update of the full DSLR line-up; and an impressive line-up it would be.

Now for a few lens upgrades and a few new DX lenses and Nikon will have one hell of an over-all DSLR system

People will still cry they want more

Mar 10, 2013 at 06:29 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

Why is it no one is ever happy with what's out? You didn't have this bullshit when film was out. I camera shot full frame film and that was that. Sure there were better films and what not buy there wasn't this crying crap that goes on now.

The D4 with the 16 megapixels it has is plenty. The D800 is a bit overkill, so if you think you need more then you have issues. Lol

D4x with maybe 20-24 is perfect. Just work on more fps and even better high iso. I would love to shoot an entire wedding without flash would be awesome.

Mar 10, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

EB-1 wrote:
I will have a heart attack.

EBH

Especially if they announce the two bodies with upgraded mid range lenses:

24-70 AFS VR for FX
17-55 AFS VR for DX

Bwhaaahaaahaaaa ...

Mar 10, 2013 at 08:11 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

paparazzinick wrote:
Why is it no one is ever happy with what's out? You didn't have this bullshit when film was out. I camera shot full frame film and that was that. Sure there were better films and what not buy there wasn't this crying crap that goes on now.

The D4 with the 16 megapixels it has is plenty. The D800 is a bit overkill, so if you think you need more then you have issues. Lol

D4x with maybe 20-24 is perfect. Just work on more fps and even better high iso. I would love to shoot an entire wedding
...Show more

Ha! I hated film and prayed for the day of digital cameras like what the satellites were using ... I stopped bitching when they came out with the D70s. I upgraded to the D300 when I got into sports ... my only gripe is that my well loved D300 is getting old and there's no point in getting another one if a D400 is due out soon. I'm quite happy to wait as my D300 still has plenty of life left in it.

Mar 10, 2013 at 08:15 PM
Red G8R
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

There will always be a market for a high mp D4x at $8000 or more. Look at Nikon's exotic zooms that costs $8000 and more. The market volume might be low BUT they are still being made.

Mar 10, 2013 at 08:54 PM
wil_ret
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

How about a D4X with a Foveon sensor .
Now that would be a game changer!

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:11 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

The D800's MP is more than enough for me. If I ever need more, I'll start considering a jump to digital medium format.

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wil_ret
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

36 MPX is enough , however maybe they can improve the sensor that's going into the D4x.
If it's the same sensor as the D 800 -D800 E , not many people are going to fork out $6 K for it.

I would ,but that's a different matter.

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:57 PM
SteveF
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

These sensors generate data that needs to be offloaded to a storage device.

This doesn't strike me as the type of process that won't increase quite a bit as technology improves, so a 30mp sensor doing 12fps or some variant of this is likely, whether this year or next. 60mp doing 24fps some time after that.

Of course these are the numbers that companies can sell, but I sure hope they put as much effort into cleaner high iso's and DR.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

Red G8R wrote:
There will always be a market for a high mp D4x at $8000 or more. Look at Nikon's exotic zooms that costs $8000 and more. The market volume might be low BUT they are still being made.

Charging $8K for a lens that retains most of its value and will last decades is very different than charging $8K for a camera body that will lose 50% of its value in just a few years and will be superceeded in less than 5.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

Andre Labonte wrote:
Charging $8K for a lens that retains most of its value and will last decades is very different than charging $8K for a camera body that will lose 50% of its value in just a few years and will be superceeded in less than 5.

Yup - when it comes to my expensive glass, I feel like I'm just "renting" it for a few years because when I sell it I still get quite a bit of the original purchase price back. Usually the worst case scenario is a 25% loss (although if prices go up it can be much less).

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:29 AM
pookipichu
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

I'd buy a D4X. I'd pay for faster/better low-light AF (over the D800), better circuitry, better mirror damping (less mirror slap), and if it's going to be over 36MP, definitely want sRaw, better live-view implementation in low light. The D800 is pretty wonderful but I know that there's room for improvement in a D4X.

Mar 11, 2013 at 04:29 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

The D800(E) is already showing the limits of most lenses and the limits of manufacturing precision only because with 36 MP, folks can now print or display larger w/o showing ugly digital artifacts and softness.
54 MP---if folks keep enlarging the image more and more--- will go beyond what any reasonably priced lens and conventionally constructed body can deliver.
In other words, we're reaching the point where we're enlarging the defects---defects that cannot be eliminated at a price that consumers are willing to pay.
On film, medium or large format solved this issue. I haven't seen a proposal for a 4x5 digital sensor, and medium format digital equipment is ludicrously expensive.
The prime value of 54 MP will be, as 36 MP is now, as oversampling for a small print, not a replacement for large formats.
The 12 MP of the D3 was a miracle in it's day; I bought two in 2008. But I could see the digital artifacts and lack of resolution in 17x22 inkjet prints.
24 MP would probably have fixed that, but I'm fine with the slight oversampling that 36 MP gets me. Too bad the D800 has glaucoma viewfinder optics--maybe a D4X would fix that problem for me.
If Nikon issues a D4X with 36 MP, it should only be a couple or three hundred USD more than the D4; If Nikon goes for 54 MP, they can grotesquely inflate the price the way they did with the D3X.

Mar 11, 2013 at 06:26 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

Jeez, I was concerned over what the 36mp D800 files would do to my workflow. 54mp would be a handful.

As we keep pushing the megapixels higher, I wonder when a camera manufacturer will introduce the ability to capture lower resolution raw files? And, when that happens, will said manufacturer implement some processing wizardry into their routine that will allow the camera to oversample the lower resolution raw file (vs. just sampling, say, every other photosite), thus retaining some of the benefits of the higher megapixel count, without the file sizes?

You'd need some pretty good CPU horsepower to do that kind of processing on the fly, but it'd be interesting to gain some of the noise reduction and increased color accuracy of the high resolution sensor but not have to process 54mp raw files.

edit: to clarify, I realize that you could buy a lower resolution camera, but the processing I'm talking about above would allow you to capture full 54mp files when you need them, and capture lower resolutions when you don't, but still retain some of the benefits of the high resolution sensor.

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:41 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

@binary visions, I agree, the D800 files are slow to process even on the fastest of systems. The technique you described is called pixel binning, which ideally would be done on-sensor and so wouldn't require extra DSP processing; it would actually require less processing, allowing for high FPS in that mode.

For large MP images I think it's time raw converters incorporate GPU acceleration into their processing pipelines. x86 performance gains over the last few generations has been meager and isn't keeping up with MP.

Mar 11, 2013 at 03:58 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

Nikon's 24Mp DX bodies' pixel pitch duplicated in a FF sensor would be equal to 60Mp. So dense pixels are already a reality. A big problem would be enough on-chip memory to process the files. The MF 40+ Mp bodies are lucky to get 1 FPS and their hi ISO is not good.

Mar 16, 2013 at 01:47 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon D4x soon I hope

Nikon's 24Mp DX bodies' pixel pitch duplicated in a FF sensor would be equal to 60Mp. So dense pixels are already a reality. A big problem would be enough on-chip memory to process the files. The MF 40+ Mp bodies are lucky to get 1 FPS and their hi ISO is not good.

Mar 16, 2013 at 01:47 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password