Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

sqdstf
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

All I want is a ballhead that doesn't shift as you lock it down. 300mm f4 max. Would an Induro BHD3 be a good choice?

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:47 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

I have the Sunwayfoto XB-44, and it is an impressive head. I chose it over my RRS BH-40 (recently sold it).

I don't know Induro well, but my impression is they are a consumer brand.

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:22 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

Many like the Acratech, Arca-Swiss, Markins and RRS heads but unfortunately they're mostly expensive. Induro is a Benro brand and while I use a Benro tripod and like it I'm not so hot on their ballheads.

I would look at the Photo Clam range, I've used one and they are well made and good value for money. There are members here who use and like Photo Clam ballheads who will hopefully chime in - like the Markins they are copies of the Arca-Swiss Z1. I use a Z1 and can tell you that it absolutely and positively doesn't shift as you lock it down!

Mar 09, 2013 at 02:17 PM
sqdstf
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

Thanks !

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:39 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

I have two PhotoClam heads of different sizes and they both work well in extreme cold temps.

Mar 09, 2013 at 09:29 PM
AHPZuazua
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

sqdstf wrote:
All I want is a ballhead that doesn't shift as you lock it down. 300mm f4 max. Would an Induro BHD3 be a good choice?

What did you decide. Im looking for a Legs and a ballhead

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

matt4626
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

My two Kirk ballheads have always worked great. Sand, snow, ice...no problems...

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:57 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

The Sunwayfoto ball heads are surprisingly well made and designed. They are pricy compared to other Chinese models but a bargain compared to USA and European heads. My only complaint is the arca clamp knobs are a bit on the small side compared to my Kirk and RRS clamps.

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:43 PM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

I have 2 Acratech heads as well as an Arca-Swiss Z1.... Frankly I think the Acratech heads are a bargain in the marketplace! US made, and rock solid... and do not shift at all. I can put my 500 + 1D4 on it and lock it down virtually anywhere in the range of the ball... and it doesn't move. Oh, and if you ever have a problem (i had one a long time ago) they are a US phone call away... not so sure about the Chinese brands.

I'll also recommend the Kirk heads too... Jeff Kirk is a class act and produces a fine product.

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:01 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

I've been using an Acratech for nearly ten years, in all kinds of conditions from Hawaii to Iceland. I have used a Nikon 500mm f4 lens on it as well as my Chamonix 4x5. The head is very, very solid. It does not shift as it's being tightened, and it's impossible to jam in the snow and ice. Mine has even been hit by a freight train.

Kent in SD

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:49 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New legs, time for a new ballhead..

I've been using my Acratech for only three months and bought it for its reputation as an all-conditions head. The Markins Q3T on my travel tripod locked up on a trip in northern New England and then again later on in Boston during severe cold in the winter.

So I replaced the Q3T with an Acratech and so far so good, build quality is excellent and I've gotten the hang of using it. Looking forward to the summer when it goes to Europe and will be on beaches quite a bit. I hear you can just run it under a faucet to get the sand off it.

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:11 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password