Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · "Crown of the Continent"

GFountain
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · "Crown of the Continent"

What else can I say Mark!

Greg

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:35 PM
MBrewington

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · "Crown of the Continent"

Great shot Mark. My wife and I were raised a couple hours from there and I have fond memories of family outings to the "Park". One of my memories was taking a motorcycle over the "Going to the Sun Highway."

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.3 #3 · "Crown of the Continent"

Lovely, the first one is my pick

Mar 10, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · "Crown of the Continent"

MBrewington wrote:
Great shot Mark. My wife and I were raised a couple hours from there and I have fond memories of family outings to the "Park". One of my memories was taking a motorcycle over the "Going to the Sun Highway."

Wow, what a great memory!!! Really! It makes me think I aught to start a biking photo tour/workshop where we rent the bikes from Kalispel (if they have that option there) and motor through the area each day! Maybe next year!

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · "Crown of the Continent"

Phrasikleia wrote:
My impression as well. I'm viewing in Chrome on a calibrated IPS display. But regardless, it's a triumph of a photo. The location of the moon gives this one that extraordinary sense of timing that separates the best from the rest.

Hi Kristine. Chrome is color managed too I think. Thanks for the feedback. If you are seeing really close to what I see on my system (and you probably are) I do see an argument for taking Sinopah (yes, that is the Mountain in the background) down a little locally. I did do that already, but a little more, I think would work. Again, thank you for that suggestion. These "web demos" as I sometimes call them are sort of semi quick test runs. I gather all the feedback, consider it all, then make decisions, and go back to scratch and produce the gallery print separately with all the care I can muster. That said, I really appreciate all the feedback I get. Thanks again.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM
matthewh133
• •
p.3 #6 · "Crown of the Continent"

What a beauty mark! Easily one of the best from Two Medicine.

Mar 11, 2013 at 04:18 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.3 #7 · "Crown of the Continent"

Excellent work

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:47 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.3 #8 · "Crown of the Continent"

Nice shot Mark! I know you don't need me to tell you this, but your the artist. Process it how you want it to look.

A side note about Firefox... One of the coolest things I have found was "Firefox Portable". Its a free Firefox that you don't need to install on your computer. You can put it on your USB stick and then when you go somewhere that only has Internet Explorer, you just plug in your USB and you have firefox ready to go! Its awesome. Since I have found it, I have 100% eliminated Internet explorer from my life!

Mar 11, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · "Crown of the Continent"

Brad Williams wrote:
Nice shot Mark! I know you don't need me to tell you this, but your the artist. Process it how you want it to look.

A side note about Firefox... One of the coolest things I have found was "Firefox Portable". Its a free Firefox that you don't need to install on your computer. You can put it on your USB stick and then when you go somewhere that only has Internet Explorer, you just plug in your USB and you have firefox ready to go! Its awesome. Since I have found it, I have 100% eliminated Internet explorer from
...Show more

Thanks Brad I cannot agree more. Someone was misconstruing why I was explaining (or have explained in the past) the color management thing.

I still don't understand the whole thing yet (color management is complicated) but it is a fact (and I felt worthy of letting people know) that on my Dell Ultrasharp, in standard default mode, calibrated with Spyder Elite to the recommended 2.2 gamma, 6500 White Point and 120 candelas, in Photoshop and Safari and FireFox the image looks just as I intended. Then when I go over to IE (for whatever reason) even calibrated properly for web, it look horrendous. I know that magentas/reds are the worst culprit. So, I just wanted people to know that if they see the nuclear version that I see through IE, that is the issue going on. Most images don't vary nearly as bad as this one. Part of me wants to throw out a disclaimer: "Best viewed... in these conditions." On another, maybe more savvy forum, it has become somewhat of a standard to view work this way to help us all try to be on the same page. I'm not suggesting this. I'm just saying once in a while the renditions out there are frustratingly inaccurate.

Mar 12, 2013 at 06:53 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.3 #10 · "Crown of the Continent"

The whole issue is rather simple.

IE does not support color profiles, so it will ignore your imbedded sRGB tag.

So if you happen to be viewing an image on a wide gamut display (capable of much higher color saturation) IE will not see the color profile which tells it to adjust sRGB tagged images for appropriate display on a wide gamut screen.

The single biggest reason I don't use IE, the only problem is everyone else seems too.

Color management will quickly drive you mad if you let it, just do your best and accept the fact that people are going to see something different. As you have stated though, certain images tend to really dramatize the difference while others are hardly different at all.

Edit: Oh and it's a wonderful image! I've been wanting to get up there for quite some time.

Mar 12, 2013 at 07:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · "Crown of the Continent"

andyjaggy82 wrote:
The whole issue is rather simple.

IE does not support color profiles, so it will ignore your imbedded sRGB tag.

So if you happen to be viewing an image on a wide gamut display (capable of much higher color saturation) IE will not see the color profile which tells it to adjust sRGB tagged images for appropriate display on a wide gamut screen.

The single biggest reason I don't use IE, the only problem is everyone else seems too.

Color management will quickly drive you mad if you let it, just do your best and accept the fact that people
...Show more

"So if you happen to be viewing an image on a wide gamut display (capable of much higher color saturation) IE will not see the color profile which tells it to adjust sRGB tagged images for appropriate display on a wide gamut screen. "

That was the exact part I was wondering about, thank you very much!

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:20 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.3 #12 · "Crown of the Continent"

Seriously, why can't they just make 1 colour profile and make it a standard everywhere?....Im starting to feel the pain just from trying to calibrate for printing, so I don't think I'll ever have the patience to try and calibrate for all the different viewing mediums.

In any case, I love that first image. The colours are bold, but I wouldn't chose anything less to put up on a wall.

Mar 13, 2013 at 03:20 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.3 #13 · "Crown of the Continent"

Along those same lines. The core of windows is not color managed either. So if you are using a wide gamut display you may notice that all of your thumbnails in windows explorer look super saturated, but when you open up the image in windows picture viewer it looks correct. That is because windows/explorer/desktop are not color managed, but windows picture viewer is. Images will look super saturated in thumbnails, and also if you set them to display on your desktop they will look too saturated. Again it depends on images, and similar to your experience I notice the most difference in images with lots or reds.

I believe that the entirety of OSX is color managed, so mac peeps don't have this problem.

The reverse problem can happen as well. If you are using a standard monitor (non wide gamut) and using Adobe RGB, which is capable of defining more saturated colors, your images will look under-saturated, because your monitor cannot display the full range of colors defined by the Adobe RGB space. This is why you always heard to use SRGB for more saturated colors and that Adobe RGB caused muted colors. That is true only if you aren't using a wide gamut display.

It takes quite a while to wrap your head around all of this stuff, I still don't fully understand it all.

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:56 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.3 #14 · "Crown of the Continent"

What a magnificent image, Mark! Kudos!

-Nick

Mar 13, 2013 at 03:54 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · "Crown of the Continent"

Beautiful Shot!

Mar 13, 2013 at 04:36 PM
Twisties
• •
p.3 #16 · "Crown of the Continent"

By my count, if Chrome is color managed like Safari and Firefox, then over 2/3's of the web in general are using proper browsers, and less than 30% are using IE. I would assume that among photography professionals and enthusiasts the numbers get even better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers#Summary_table

Now can we talk about the important thing... motorcycles and photography!

Using Firefox, and a wide gamut calibrated monitor (D65, Gamma 2.20, 140 cd/m2) I thought the red on the mountain appears too hot, or clipped, or not quite right in the original image. I was astonished at how bad it was in IE, and how well Mark was able to match the original image in IE with the second rendering. Side by side, the first image in Firefox and the second image in IE are dead matches to my poor eye.

Mar 13, 2013 at 04:52 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.3 #17 · "Crown of the Continent"

I always assumed that most photographers would be using firefox and wide gamut displays. As always you can't account for all circumstances.

Mar 13, 2013 at 05:26 PM
sb in ak
• •
p.3 #18 · "Crown of the Continent"

GREAT shot! I like the first version. I like the composition and the choice to include all of the clouds. (Plus, the long exposure makes them sing).

I've heard Alaska/Yukon's Wrangell St. Elias/Kluane National Parks dubbed "Crown of the Continent" as well.

Mar 13, 2013 at 07:36 PM
waysaz
• •
p.3 #19 · "Crown of the Continent"

Nice work, Mark. We're doing a Rockies trip this summer and I can't wait.

As for the color management thing...

If an image has a profile, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome all display it correctly by default. (I'm on Mac 10.7 Lion, FWIW.)

If the image has no profile, all 3 browsers send the colors straight through instead of converting to your monitor space—analogous to assigning your monitor profile to the pic in Photoshop. If you're on a wide-gamut monitor, you'll get that nuclear look.

In Firefox, you can fix this (see below), but not in Safari or Chrome. Here's the setting (yes, still applies to current version):
http://www.gballard.net/firefox/#config

Additionally, Chrome can't handle v4 profiles.* Safari is fine, and Firefox needs v4 profiles enabled (in about:config, make "gfx.color_management.enablev4" = "true"). Go here and see what you get:
http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

OK, enough color nerd stuff!

*I don't think there are many out in the wild, but that's just a guess.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM
USM IS
• • •
p.3 #20 · "Crown of the Continent"

I haven't got words good enough to describe what my eyes have just seen.........

Mike

Mar 14, 2013 at 02:23 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password