Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

agelessphotog wrote:
I would buy a D7100 if it matched the D700 in low light. However I highly doubt it will. I know the D700 CRUSHED the D7000 in low light. Half my lenses are DX and half FX. I do like the AF on the D7100. However the lack of a AA filter scares me a little with the D7100. Moire effect can be pretty ugly. I'm pretty sure the D600 will highly outperform the D7100 in low light. I use to think the D5100 did well in low light also. Until I got a D600 and compared the two. NIGHT
...Show more

The lack of a filter doesn't seem to have caused problems for D800e users. The lack of a really solid AF module on the D600 bothers me more. I have yet to run into a situation where ISO 2000 and an f2.8 zoom wasn't enough. Outside of the actual ceremony, I'm generally using flash anyway and shooting ISO 400-800. Any camera since the 1950s can handle that. I do have a couple of Sigma f1.4 lenses on hand just in case. Never needed. The ONLY reason I shoot weddings is to make money. The idea is to put money in MY pocket, not Nikon's. All of my customers have been quite happy with images from the D300, D5100, and D7000. I get referrals. My typical charge is between $1,800 and $2,200 and my customers are well educated medical personnel that work with my wife at the regional hospital. What they get are some quality photo books and a few enlargements for framing, almost always from the formals. The formals are usually shot with monolights using ISO 400. I know my customers see no difference in image quality from a D300 or D5100 and a D600, even a D800. The photo books are generally the 10 inch size. Bottom line is I don't think there's much (if any) difference in the first place, and if my customers can't see it, why on earth would I spend the extra money? I'm running a business. I've been relying on creativity and solid marketing, and it appears to be a lucrative business model. I see weddings as 10% gear and 90% creativity. Heck, I'm even shooting b&w film with cameras dating back to the 1920s--they love it! Not sure what you can tell from a 700 pixel 72 dpi posted image, but here you go.

Kent in SD

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/NoctFoamer/wedding3s.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/NoctFoamer/Wedding2.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/NoctFoamer/Wedding1S.jpg

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

Two23 wrote:
The lack of a filter doesn't seem to have caused problems for D800e users. The lack of a really solid AF module on the D600 bothers me more. I have yet to run into a situation where ISO 2000 and an f2.8 zoom wasn't enough. Outside of the actual ceremony, I'm generally using flash anyway and shooting ISO 400-800. Any camera since the 1950s can handle that. I do have a couple of Sigma f1.4 lenses on hand just in case. Never needed. The ONLY reason I shoot weddings is to make money. The idea is to put money in
...Show more

Did you use noise reduction in #2? It seems to have a lot of noise for a being shot at, or under, ISO 2000. However, if the customer is happy with the images and composition, why spend the money. But, maybe better cameras will allow for more creative images? Such a quandary!

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

No, I don't think I used any noise reduction at all. Since most of the photos will be printed to fit on a 10 inch page (and usually they are only 3 inches long at that,) I often forgo any noise reduction to keep detail. It's been very rare that a change in cameras has really helped my photography. Changes in lenses, yes. Changes in flash , definitely. I am equally "creative" with 1902 Brownie as I am with a current production Nikon digital. Creativity comes from the mind, not the gear.

Kent in SD

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

I think you proved my point for me Two23. The first photo has strong flash and dark shadows. The 2nd shot to me looks grainy. It looks like it was either underexposed and brightened up alot in pp or some kind of NR was applied maybe not in post but in the Camera?. To me the lighting and shadows could use some work. With my D600 I can crank the ISO up and the flash down. Also it helps greatly when i'm not close enough for the flash to work.

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:38 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

agelessphotog wrote:
My wife is the main photographer. She uses a D600. I am the 2nd shooter. I am using a D5100. With outdoor weddings the D5100 takes beautiful photos. When it's indoors in a church with the lights very dim the sensor just can't keep up. Even with fast glass. I have to either use ISO 3200 or higher and get grainy photos. Or use 1/60. When I use 1/60 if the people are moving sometimes the photos come out blurry. This is just not acceptable. My wifes D600 has better AF and better low light capabilities.

This wasn't reall an issue
...Show more

I for one would not rule out a D700. It's an awesome camera and would be a great 2nd body for weddings. It's well worth the $1500 price. I'd also look at a D3.

Mar 11, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

agelessphotog wrote:
I think you proved my point for me Two23. The first photo has strong flash and dark shadows. The 2nd shot to me looks grainy. It looks like it was either underexposed and brightened up alot in pp or some kind of NR was applied maybe not in post but in the Camera?. To me the lighting and shadows could use some work. With my D600 I can crank the ISO up and the flash down. Also it helps greatly when i'm not close enough for the flash to work.

First shot was taken from about 80 ft away, on a ladder. No NR was used at all. Same with second shot. I likely was using ISO 800 or even 400 since my SB-900 has plenty of power. I will ALWAYS be close enough for the flash to work with the SB-900. (Not so with SB-700--I've tried it.) I like to use flash as the main light and not ambient because it freezes action so well. Might have oversharpened a little. I have never needed to crank up ISO is my point. The photos were given to the customer as prints in a photo book. They looked great and I am getting repeat business from the family. If I had used a D800 could I have charged them more? No. Would I be getting more business? No. Would I have more money in my pocket? Absolutely no. I'm lookiing forward to the new D7100 though as the AF will be noticeably better than D600/D7000, and that's where those bodies are truly weak. I will wait and see, but I have no doubt the D7100 is a better camera than the D600.

Kent in SD

Mar 11, 2013 at 07:14 PM
FullHousePhoto
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

Well, the obvious choice for so many reasons is the D600... but lacking that, I don't think the D700 is overpriced one single bit! I shoot with 2, and they are money!

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM
ozpall
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

I love.my d700/7000 combo, I ain't afraid of.crancking the ISO on neither one.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Mountws1

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

Given the current prices, really can't beat buying a used D700, 600 or D3. Just took a quick look at current prices on keh and they have used D3's starting at $2199.

Mar 13, 2013 at 08:39 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

The D3s does give considerably better AF, has bigger buffer, and is the low light king. If I were shooting weddings full time I could better justify a used one, perhaps.

Kent in SD

Mar 13, 2013 at 09:28 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

Two23 wrote:
First shot was taken from about 80 ft away, on a ladder. No NR was used at all. Same with second shot. I likely was using ISO 800 or even 400 since my SB-900 has plenty of power. I will ALWAYS be close enough for the flash to work with the SB-900. (Not so with SB-700--I've tried it.) I like to use flash as the main light and not ambient because it freezes action so well.

EXIF of the first image is showing a shutter speed of 1/800...

Two23 wrote:
If I had used a D800 could I have charged them more? No. Would I be getting more business? No. Would I have more money in my pocket? Absolutely no.

This could be true. But D600 and D800's quality of details in shadows, the way these sensors reproduce human skin, especially in low light and the sharpness of the output after only simply downsampling the images... are definitely showing them as much better tools. And a better tool makes the difference in some demanding circumstances... possibly bringing you step by step to an upper level of reputation with all kind of benefits flowing from that... I fully agree that a good photographer can use a modest camera in order to get nice images but this does not exclude the reality that using a better camera he will get more images at a superior quality.

As for me I will buy best camera I can afford, not to support Nikon but because life is too short to not use the best part of it just to save a couple of hundred bucks...

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

agelessphotog wrote:
What makes you guys think the sensor in the D7100 will even come close to the D600 for low light?

It won't come close.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Tete
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

ozpall wrote:
I love.my d700/7000 combo, I ain't afraid of.crancking the ISO on neither one.

I'm with oz, I use this combo in a night wedding a few weeks ago. lit by .. nothing pretty much. worked great. I'll see if I can post photos. the other day I used the D700 in my home studio and all thoughts of going back to a high res camera were gone. silly sharp. if I we are printing 1/1 prints then maybe but otherwise the D700 files are a breeze to work with and if used proper can produce facinating results.

I doesnt hurt that I had an assistent w a back pack on with a mini-lithium and alien bee 1600 on a boom. .

this old sensor stuff with the D700 is nonsense, like saying a 5D mkII is too old to produce good pictures. BTW that is what I used to shoot with before I " downgraded" to 12 mp D700.

Mar 14, 2013 at 02:04 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

khwaja wrote:
The hi-iso's in the d600 are on the same level as the D800... and for weddings, i think the D7100 might be an equal option.

Just was on another forum where there was a guy who owns D600 and D800 and rented D7100. He said the 7100 has poor hi-iso and poor dynamic range compared to the 600 and 800.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Mykal
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

You can't go wrong with the D600. Your wife could grab it from you in a pinch, it has two card slots, the high ISO is fabulous and the autofocus is no slouch.

I switched from D700s mainly because of the dual slots and I do not regret it one bit and yes I'm a full time wedding photographer

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

Mykal wrote:
I switched from D700s mainly because of the dual slots and I do not regret it one bit and yes I'm a full time wedding photographer

How does the 600 autofocus compare to the 700?

Mar 14, 2013 at 01:08 PM
rffffffff
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

I saw a d3 (not s) for sale for 1650 on craigslist around here with 'low shutter count' whatever that means... At the prices you've listed for things I would lean strongly towards D3, with the D800 probably being the first choice... I LOVE the d800, but you have to factor in buying probably 100-200gb worth of sd and/or cf depending on how you shoot!

Mar 14, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

D. Diggler wrote:
How does the 600 autofocus compare to the 700?

I don't have the D700s anymore to compare but I don't feel like I'm missing any shots I would have gotten with the D700.

Mar 14, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

Just bought a D7100 and have been shooting it for the past several hours. I used it in the store's stock room with the lights dimmed, side by side with D7000/D600. The AF on the new camera is very clearly superior to the D600/D7000, especially in lower light. Considering the lowest ISO I typically will ever use in a wedding was ISO 2000 (I'm usually at ISO 800), this camera clearly smokes the D600 when it comes to overall performance as a package and value for the business. To get any noticeable improvement you would have to go up to a D800, I think. Even then I honestly question if you'll get any more business than you would have and you certainly won't be earning more $$. I'm not saying a D600/D700 is a bad choice, I'm just saying why spend the extra money when you aren't getting much for it, and your customers will not care.

Forgot to mention the shutter is quieter on the D7100 vs. D7000/D600 twins. One more plus!

Kent in SD

Mar 14, 2013 at 06:45 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Need help deciding on 2nd camera for Weddings.

Two23. Should would you compare the ISO/Noise to the D7000?

Mar 14, 2013 at 07:22 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.