Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Gimbal head help

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Gimbal head help

I use the smaller telephotos, not being able to manage the 500s and up, so my experiences only involve the 'Jr.' versions for a few gimbals.

Recently I tested and then returned a Jobu Jr. 3, the return was NOT due to ANY performance issues. In fact my better half liked it's smooth near effortless use. After some further use, due to my disability issues, I found the locations of the adjustment knobs, one left, one right, to be difficult to use/adjust; my left hand is much weaker then my right. This gimbal is smooth, easy to move in all directions, nicely designed/engineered and quite sturdy.

As a replacement I picked up the Custom Bracket (CB) Gimbal-LS. All of it's outer adjustment knobs are located to one side, the knobs seem larger and easier to turn/manage then the Jobu; although I did not test them side by side.

CB Gimbal-LS
http://www.custombrackets.com/products/gimbal-series/cb-gimbal-ls.html

This knob location and touch/ease of adjustment issue is a huge convenience for my use. The bracket also has additional adjustments at the camera/lens attachment point that help fine-tune balance. Again the design, wing nuts instead of smallish knobs for adjustment, added a bit more convenience for my use, particular physical needs.

As with the Jobu, the CB Gimbal is super smooth in operation, well designed and sturdy, they also offer larger/heavier versions for the bigger whites. Either of these Gimbals would be a nice lighter weight alternative to the standard larger models.

Note, I use an Acratech GP Ballhead for other support needs. It has a gimbal feature, but I've found it is not well balanced with camera/lens hanging off to one side, this positioning is not as easy to use as a standard gimbal is. Both supports have their use, in my experience, with my handicap, while the dual-purposed solution is cheaper, it is not the easier/sturdier option.

Happy Gimbal hunting, hope you find the support that fits.
Jerry

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:17 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.2 #2 · Gimbal head help

PetKal wrote:
Db, I guess you like lottsa little knobs, bits and pieces it disassembles into.

Peter, your attempt to render me self-conscious is futile, me being a jaded old timer with a well developed thick skin.

Actually I never really though about the aesthetics of the GB head except that all those knobs are functional, large enough not to be deterred by thick (Canadian-like ) gloves; admittedly I've recently moved to a gloveless environment. I suppose the GB is the least sleek but most retro looking of the popular upscale gimbals. It is however quite a well made precision instrument, arguably the only one at the time of my purchase that claims to be entirely ball bearing'ed as opposed to partially put together with bushings. I like it very much except for one or two niggling items.

I do like the handy Setup KNOB that functions to keep the lens locked in place when making adjustiments, transporting the gear o r changing TC's.

And yes it does come apart nicely - without any tools, although on my current trip to Florida I just tossed the whole assembled contraption together with a light weight Gitzo tripod into my checked luggage - since my carry-on Think Tank Accelerator was packed to the gills. Haven't used it yet since the 500 II / 1DX is not at all difficult to bare hand - as you assured me before I purchased it.

It seems from the varied contributions in this thread, one will not be dissatisfied with any one of the Gimbals mentioned here.

Db

Mar 08, 2013 at 09:12 PM
3iron
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Gimbal head help

After much research, I also chose Custom Brackets. It is everything that has been said above. Not to say that Wimbeley or Jobu aren't as good, but I like the adjustability of the CB.
One note, you can use just part of the head for a lighter weight side mount as well.
Best wishes.

Mar 08, 2013 at 09:49 PM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Gimbal head help

I use the Jobu Jr with a 400 5.6 and i am very pleased, and a great price

Mar 08, 2013 at 09:53 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Gimbal head help

thanks for all the great feedback. tough decision.

Mar 09, 2013 at 06:10 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Gimbal head help

I use the Custom Bracket (CB) gimbal with a 500m f4 and sometimes with stacked converters. Very happy with it. I like the individual knobs for drag and lock as well as the lens leveling lock.

Wes N.

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:12 AM
jaybrams
• •
p.2 #7 · Gimbal head help

I recommend the Mongoose by 4th Generation Design.

http://stores.4gdphoto.com/-strse-118/M-dsh-3.6-~-Gimbal-Tripod/Detail.bok

This is the brand used and endorsed by Arthur Morris, the Explorer of Light, and one of the most reknown bird photographers.

I have the no longer made model 2.3 - designed for smaller lenses like my Canon 400/5.6. I highly recommend the Mongoose, and the owners of the company are very responsive to their customers.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:51 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Gimbal head help

jaybrams wrote:
I recommend the Mongoose by 4th Generation Design.

http://stores.4gdphoto.com/-strse-118/M-dsh-3.6-~-Gimbal-Tripod/Detail.bok

This is the brand used and endorsed by Arthur Morris, the Explorer of Light, and one of the most reknown bird photographers.

I have the no longer made model 2.3 - designed for smaller lenses like my Canon 400/5.6. I highly recommend the Mongoose, and the owners of the company are very responsive to their customers.

I don't really get it with the Moongoose
You link show a pic of it. It looks similar to a Sidekick and have that kind of style. But the text say it has full Gimbal action. And that it's made for 800 lenses ? How can it have full gimbal action if it look like the image?

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:09 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · Gimbal head help

I think you need to buy the low arm piece. I would not want to use the Sidekick style with the longest lenses.

EBH

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:21 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · Gimbal head help

I do not get that Mongoose "gimbal" at all....if anything, it looks like a K-mart version of the Sidekick.

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · Gimbal head help

PetKal wrote:
I do not get that Mongoose "gimbal" at all....if anything, it looks like a K-mart version of the Sidekick.

+1

$ 600 for a Sidekick

Mar 10, 2013 at 05:15 AM
lowbone
• • •
p.2 #12 · Gimbal head help

Wimberly II

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:16 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Gimbal head help

PetKal wrote:

lol, i didn't know Canadians knew of K-Mart.

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:57 PM
jaybrams
• •
p.2 #14 · Gimbal head help

Well, I'm sorry for making a helpful suggestion. I'm glad that people who never saw or used a Mongoose know better. i could live without the sarcasm.

Many people on bird photographers.com love the Mongoose. Others may not. As I stated, I bought mine used off their sale board and have been satisfied. To those who doubt it has full gimbal action, how would you know? it screws directly onto the tripod, unlike the Sidekick. It rotates on the tripod, and up and down on the other axis. The Mongoose is light and comfortable to carry. The negatives include a side mount - which is fine with my 400/5.6 but may not suit those with a larger lens. In that case, an option foot mount is available. The company is small that makes them, but they are well engineered. Why would so many on Birdphotographers.com like them, including Arthur Morris who swears by them, if they were "K-Mart" quality?

I'm sorry for making an unorthodox recommendation. If PetKal doesn't like it, let him criticize the suggestion based on his experience, not a cheap shot like he made.

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:12 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · Gimbal head help

Jay, Mongoose still doesn't look like a "gimbal" even after your 2nd post, therefore if you can please show us some pictures where the Mongoose's gimbal action would be evident, then we'd sure have something to look at and accept.

You see, most of us on this forum have no commercial intertest in selling any of that stuff, therefore we are at liberty to call it frankly the way we see it.

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:46 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Gimbal head help

Wimberley have 3 heads.

1. Full Gimbal WimberleyII Head
2. Sidemount Head
3 Sidekick

The moongoose would be like the Sidemount head from Wimberley. It's like a sidekick but you can attach it straight on the tripod without a ballhead. But without buying any extra arm and attach that one to the moongoose in the image, it can not have full Gimbal action. It will work exactly like a Sidemount head or a Sidekick.
The knobs are rather small and placed in more difficult positions to reach and adjust compared to Wimberley or Jobu Gimbals. The top knob will be very close the the lens-foot or lens-plate. Compare it against a Wimberley and you see how much more difficult it will be to adjust the lens with that knob

Mar 11, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · Gimbal head help

Here is a video review of Mongoose 3.5 series. actually it looks really good.

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/blog/dpe-video-review-of-the-mongoose-m3-5b-gimbal-tripod-head-1715

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/908644

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=157797

Edited on Mar 11, 2013 at 03:23 AM · View previous versions

Mar 11, 2013 at 03:12 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Gimbal head help

Not unlike the lighter weight CB-LS that I picked up, which can be dis-assembled to make it a 'side-mount' gimbal, the Mongoose 3.6 'standard side-mount' design can be converted to your regular L gimbal look/feel with their 'low-mount-arm'. It's just a lighter weight dual-purposed design, gives you two options to choose from, this accessory arm is $90 buckaroos...

Mongoose 3.6 w/ILM
http://stores.4gdphoto.com/-strse-113/ILM-~-Integrated-Low/Detail.bok

Given it's lighter weight, knowing how my CB-LS handles, other then a 500mm, I'm not sure I'd get anything but the bigger/heavier gimbals for the heavier expensive teles; f2.8s, 600 and 1200mm...just my observation...the biggest lens I have is an older nFD 400 f4.5...seems reasonable, expensive gear requires the best support, just for safety's sake alone.

Edited on Mar 11, 2013 at 03:19 AM · View previous versions

Mar 11, 2013 at 03:14 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · Gimbal head help

Sunny Sra wrote:

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/blog/dpe-video-review-of-the-mongoose-m3-5b-gimbal-tripod-head-1715

Why do they call that a "gimbal" ?

Mar 11, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · Gimbal head help

Sunny Sra wrote:

And you can also see that it's not a full Gimbal or have full Gimbal action like they write. $ 600 for a Sidekick or Sidemount head is expensive compared to the more well-known brands.

Mar 11, 2013 at 03:18 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password