Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

I'm an amateur. I hardly ever shoot in the studio these days.

Over the years, I've built up a collection of Profoto equipment at mostly second-hand prices: an Acute 1200 pack with three lights; two soft boxes, the beauty dish with grid, the magnum reflector plus some third-brand modifiers equipped with Profoto speedrings. Last week, I also picked up two Profoto monolights on eBay.

It was at the moment the Fedex guy handed me the monolight package that I started doubting my purchase.

Here I am with all this equipment that I hardly use but that at the same time doesn't really lose much value and that will still work in the future when I have the opportunity to use it again. But which also costs a fortune to fix if anything breaks. It works like a dream overall, but it's hard to stop down power. That's Profoto.

I've been wondering if I should sell the stuff and switch to something else, like Elinchrom (couple of monolights and the Quadra set or one ranger for location work (which I now don't have a solution for beyond cheap speed lights). I could keep most modifiers, I think, and get speedrings for Elinchrom.

Am I delusional to consider selling this top-notch stuff?

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:55 AM
myam203
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

I don't think it's such a bad idea. I've bought and sold gear a lot over the years and as long as I'm not losing features I need or enjoy, it's no big deal.

Basically, you have to decide whether or not your Profoto stuff is overkill and if Elinchrom will get the job done. Otherwise, it sucks finding yourself in a situation that calls for a piece of gear that you used to own.

Aside from that, Elinchrom stuff is supposed to be great and I would love to have a Quadra set myself. They're so freaking small and light, and nothing beats that when you have to fuss around with everything on your own, without an assistant.

Mar 07, 2013 at 10:23 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

The only reason that I would consider selling it is if I needed the money to purchase something else that I needed. Is there a new lens or body that you have been wanting and you know you are going to use alot more than the lights? Then by all means, let them go. Like you said, you can always downgrade lights and still have something to use when the need arises.

Personally I would just keep the gear. You have all the stuff, now just figure out how to make it work for you.

Mar 07, 2013 at 10:24 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

You don't think you answered this yourself Just because it's "top-notch stuff" obviously doesn't mean it's valuable to you. What's the point if it's sitting in storage?

People buy all this gear and want the greatest because that's what they were told they should have and it's the best. You can easily get rid of this stuff and buy something YOU need....even if it's not field related.

basehorhonda wrote:
You have all the stuff, now just figure out how to make it work for you.

To me that's backwards; even if it is already in the OP's possession. You get what you need or will possibly need. Not jam something in for the heck of it.

Mar 07, 2013 at 10:25 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

The only reason I threw that in was because I see alot of people in my area buy stuff they think they need, and then they never learn how to use the stuff they bought. No offense to the OP, but I got the vibe that he just bought stuff because it was cheap, with no real plan on using it. Maybe Im wrong on that. But this goes along with your post Cordell.

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:08 PM
thumphrey

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

I was where you are once. I had a 2400 Acute with 3 heads, 5 monolites and a bunch of modifiers. It was all 1/3 stop increments back then. Then Elinchrom came out with the Skyport and I was hooked. 1/10 stop increments and you could adjust everything from the camera. I'm still a very big fan of Profoto. Profoto has the the best mounting system, period. Elinchrom has more than filled my needs........no regrets!

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:56 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

basehorhonda wrote:
The only reason I threw that in was because I see alot of people in my area buy stuff they think they need, and then they never learn how to use the stuff they bought. No offense to the OP, but I got the vibe that he just bought stuff because it was cheap, with no real plan on using it. Maybe Im wrong on that. But this goes along with your post Cordell.

Some background: I first bought a second-hand Profoto kit because I wanted to move away from workshop shooting and be able to organize my own studio shoots. I used the kit quite a few times. Then we were moving to Europe and I needed a multi-voltage kit. I was lucky and sold my old kit (minus the modifiers that had come with it) for a good price and picked up a similar, newer multi-voltage kit with a bunch of other stuff on Craigslist.

At some point, I picked up a cheap Magnum and a cheap third head. I bought the beauty dish for $275 new at B&H before our move (it's now $400 new).

I did use that kit quite a bit in the beginning when we lived in Cyprus, but then switched to more outdoor shoots. Later, we moved to Austria, where the photo club I belonged to had a studio with its own equipment.

I do admit to picking up the two monolights because the price seemed right and I always wanted them.

Now, I'm back in the US and still looking for space to use. If I find it, I'll use whatever equipment I have.

Part of my doubts is that I don't think I will have another chance of getting all that good stuff for decent prices, like I have so far.

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:44 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

thumphrey wrote:
I was where you are once. I had a 2400 Acute with 3 heads, 5 monolites and a bunch of modifiers. It was all 1/3 stop increments back then. Then Elinchrom came out with the Skyport and I was hooked. 1/10 stop increments and you could adjust everything from the camera. I'm still a very big fan of Profoto. Profoto has the the best mounting system, period. Elinchrom has more than filled my needs........no regrets!

I'm with you on mounting systems. I've seen other photographers struggle with stuff that's easy for me, either mounting or setting up a modifier.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:30 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

Elinchrom is also "top-notch" so you're not giving up too much selling the Profoto you have other than the mount which many prefer. It's never been a problem for me though. But if portability is your main goal you can't beat the Ranger or Ranger Quadra and you'll love their modifier selection and performance. The new Lithium battery now makes the Quadra even lighter than before also and increases use time. I have RX-600's and RX-300's also but use my Qudra most of the time now unless I need the extra power.

Mar 07, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

If you only shoot with lights occasionally I think you might want to go with a couple of monolights that offer features that compliment your shooting. On the odd occasion when you need more lighting, you can rent. Sell the Profoto while it's a bit newer and has value, and get a smaller package that will serve your needs. For most photographers, less is more.

Edited on Apr 07, 2013 at 06:42 PM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

You're not crazy to sell the stuff you're not using. You're crazy to keep it -- the opportunity cost is storage space you could use for stuff that actually benefits you, plus any difference in price between the profoto stuff you sell and the cheaper stuff you replace it with, not to mention the depreciation in the equipment you just sit on -- and even if it doesn't depreciate horribly, it does depreciate, particularly when they update their product lines.

The only catch is you want a unified system if you can help it. It's a pain in the rear to have two or three kinds of lights, with different speed rings and connectors. So be sure you can get what you actually will use in one system, and then unburden yourself of the stuff you don't.

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:05 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

Am sorry to bring old thread again, but kind of having same situation. I started with speedotron pack 2403cx with 3 lights and shortly after that I ended up with additional lighting set up. The thing is it's different brand, it's Dynalite..yes 2 Dynalite monolight Uni400jr with 2 jackrabbit II batts and 2 dynalite M500xl with 4 1015 lights and 2 mini vagabond batts.

Am I crazy enough to do this? Not sure and will find out later on. The reason why? the Speedotron set up that I have is not so mobile for location shoot eventhough I can add up a portable powerpack they have such as explorer 1500 but the weight is still not very favorable against dynalite system which known for their lightweight portability. The 2 dynalite systems weigh almost the same with Speedotron power pack alone.

Anyone here has two different studio lighting set up just like me? Do you think I should just better off with 1 set up that is portable for location and studio? Every systems has their plus and minus I believe. Even with the 2 systems I have I only spend less than $5k, but I have 3 power packs (1 big one and 2 small ones) with 7 lights and 2 monolights.

Apr 07, 2013 at 12:32 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

Starting fresh, the compelling reason for one system is maximum sharing of accessories and modifiers between the mobile and studio sides. I have a big pack and small battery pack, both Profoto, to this end. If you don't mind your setups, and don't plan to expand, perhaps you can stand pat.

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:45 AM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

True, will give a try for sometime. Profoto is nice but it costs more money compare what my set up currently does.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:53 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

Maybe I should update my situation. I didn't ditch Profoto. But I am selling my power pack and three lights because I bought three monolights instead. I also bought an Elinchrom ranger second-hand, which is much cheaper than the portable profoto solutions. Elinchrom and Profoto modifiers are relatively easy to use on either lights, so this should work for now. I'm also ditching my Pocketwizards after picking up the EL skyport system for a good price.

Apr 07, 2013 at 08:52 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

Congratulations on your Ranger purchase it's a wonderful system. If you didn't get the newest Skyport Speed transmitter you might want to invest in that as well. It's much nicer than the original model.

Apr 07, 2013 at 09:08 AM
BareLight

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

Profoto makes wonderful equipment and I love their mount. It's even better when you can "buy it right" as you have done. But, you can't go wrong with Elinchrom, either, and their pricing is about half of Profoto overall. Elinchrom offers a wide range of options, including some cool portable solutions.

When I was outfitting my studio several years ago I went the Elinchrom route with a couple of packs/heads and several of the Digital Rx monos. All have proven to be very reliable and I have been happy with the purchase. I recently closed the studio in order to do a lot more traveling this year and have decided to downsize my lighting and sell some of the equipment, but I would happily buy more Elinchrom in the future should I have the need.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM
thumphrey

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

What did you wind up doing with your Profoto?

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

I actually stuck with profoto but sold my pack and lights and bought three used monolights. To make the situation more complicated, I also bought a used elinchrom ranger rx and two lights. I still haven't used the profotos much, though.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM
thumphrey

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Am I crazy to consider ditching Profoto?

You will love the Ranger RX. Heavy, but so versatile. Congrats!

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.