Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Trying to understand this setup/ratio

jmarch24

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Trying to understand this setup/ratio

I am trying to understand this lighting as the shadows on the wall are really interesting..... My first guess would be a light at both camera right and left... based on the hard shadow body outlines on the wall.... the confusing part is how to get a shadow cast on each side of the models body and not just one...

Especially on the BW image holding the bags.... the shadows on the bags suggest the light camera left, but how is the light camera right that is casting the shadow on the wall not washing out the shadows on the bags and on her face from the hair

My guess is the fill being half power of the main so as to not wash out the shadow. Any help and or suggestions and theory would be greatly appreciated thank you.

http://www.fashioneditorials.com/angel-in-the-outfield-candice-swanepoel-numero-tokyo-59-september-2012-alexi-lubomirski/09/2012

Mar 07, 2013 at 03:28 AM
DJS3813

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Trying to understand this setup/ratio

Look at image #4.... looks like she has a third leg (?). I think these are multi exposures that have been combined in PS. One shot hard light left and then right to get the different shadows between her face and the shadows on the walls.

Mar 07, 2013 at 03:25 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Trying to understand this setup/ratio

I don't think it's multiple exposures.

It's just a big light source camera left, creating the softer shadow on the right, and a small light source camera right, creating the hard shadows on the left. It may, in fact, be two small light sources camera right.

Look at the big chalice she's pouring liquid out of. Big light camera left, one or two small lights camera right.

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Trying to understand this setup/ratio

jmarch wrote:
Especially on the BW image holding the bags.... the shadows on the bags suggest the light camera left, but how is the light camera right that is casting the shadow on the wall not washing out the shadows on the bags and on her face from the hair?
My guess is the fill being half power of the main so as to not wash out the shadow. Any help and or suggestions and theory would be greatly appreciated thank you.

For the light not to wash out the wall, I'd guess it probably has to be very close to the model -- the inverse square rule says if the lights are far away they should light the model and wall similarly, but if the lights are very close to the model, the distance between the model and the wall becomes more important.

Gut reaction is the ratio is around 2:1 (big light twice as bright at the subject as the small light is).

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:16 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password