Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Pocket Wizard PlusX vs Plus III Which is the Better Buy?

StanOPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pocket Wizard PlusX vs Plus III Which is the Better Buy?

There are a lot of radio triggers on the market ranging from $20 Cowboy Studio triggers to Pocket Wizard's very pricey E-TTL transceivers. For some reason, the PW Plus lineup of transceivers offer enough features at a barely-decent price to be found in a majority of photographer's bags.

With the announcement of the new Pocket Wizard PlusX, do you think it's a better buy than the Plus III?

I have written an article comparing the PlusX and Plus III, you can read that here http://blog.soskiphoto.com/2013/03/pocket-wizard-plusx-vs-plus-iii-flash.html. I want to know your thoughts on the two transceivers though.

Are the features of the PlusX too little, is the Plus III in a lost market, or are the cheaper alternatives good enough?

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Waki
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pocket Wizard PlusX vs Plus III Which is the Better Buy?

To me this is apples to oranges.....Plus X is very basic, like a single speed bicycle. Plus III's are like a bicycle with gears. Different products for different uses.

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:18 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pocket Wizard PlusX vs Plus III Which is the Better Buy?

Waki wrote:
To me this is apples to oranges.....Plus X is very basic, like a single speed bicycle. Plus III's are like a bicycle with gears. Different products for different uses.

+1

Definitely don't look at these that way.

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:09 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pocket Wizard PlusX vs Plus III Which is the Better Buy?

The plus x is a single group trigger meaning everything is fired every time the plus 3 is multi group capiable so you can trigger all groups or a single group or anywhere in between

Mar 07, 2013 at 03:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Waki
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pocket Wizard PlusX vs Plus III Which is the Better Buy?

I use the TT1/TT5 with AC3 which supports three groups...the III's work well with them and the III's mesh well with the built in PW systems on my packs. The X's have a place and I can see uses but to me, like I mentioned, they are very different and I can't see a comparison.

Mar 07, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pocket Wizard PlusX vs Plus III Which is the Better Buy?

I just got two plus2 here lately and from what I'm learning I may have to get a plus3 to use to remotely trigger a flex on a remote camera using it as a hand trigger. The plus2 only has Chanel's 1-4 whereas the plus3 has access to the controltl channels. You can never win. Next purchase is a Sekonic l358 flash meter plus a rt-32ctl module. Good thing I filed my taxes and will get enough to cover this with some left over for a freexwire system for the qflash system I getting plus a NAS for backing up a 4 bay raid 5 system is what I'm looking at.

Mar 08, 2013 at 05:06 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pocket Wizard PlusX vs Plus III Which is the Better Buy?

You can trigger a Flex on a remote camera with a Plus 2. You don't need to send ttl info to your camera to trigger it.

Mar 09, 2013 at 09:59 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password