Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
  

Archive 2013 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?
  
 
megancanada
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


+1 for the 24 1.4 on FX.


Mar 07, 2013 at 12:27 AM
hijazist
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


Thorsten wrote:
Agree. The Nikon does not feel poor or anything but the Sigma feels closer to a Zeiss lens. And how lucky that the optics do, too.


+1... I had the Nikon 35 1.4 and the Zeiss 35 f/2 and now the Sigma 1.4. The Sigma is definitely better made than the Nikon, but IMO the Zeiss bests them all in that area. The Sigma is much sharper than the Nikon and sharper than the Zeiss, especially wide open and AF is a lot faster and accurate at least on my D600. The Nikon was really slow. The Sigma is very contrasty and renders color beautifully but still I prefer the Zeiss rendering but not by far.

However, each person has a specific brand-zeal or a certain "look" they prefer so it's hard to have a consistent feedback from users and that's why some still insist that the Nikon is better, which I respect. What bothers me though is trashing this lens just for the sake of it just because it's a Sigma.

My advice if money is a concern then go for the Sigma 35 1.4 and if you want something wider later add to it the Nikon 28 1.8 which I still have and love. Otherwise go for the Sigma 35 1.4 & the Nikon 24 1.4



Mar 07, 2013 at 12:33 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


I had the Nikon 35 f1.4G and it didn't knock my socks off 'til ~ f1.8/f2. For 1/2 the price the Siggy
is insane wide open. I could give a crap for the name on the barrel...gimmie the results I expect.
The fact it's being done for SO cheap...makes whiners out of those holdin' the Nikon. Just sayin'



Mar 07, 2013 at 01:19 AM
newtophoto
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


Everyone says the sigma is sharper than the Nikon, but what about the overall rendering of the image? To me, from what I have seen so far, I prefer the look of the Nikon.


Mar 07, 2013 at 03:55 AM
nikonnerd
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


Thanks for the tips. I'll probably start off with the nikon 24 f/1.4 and then pick up the sigma if I think 24 is too wide. Anyone know about the availability of this lens in the current Nikon sale?


Mar 07, 2013 at 03:58 AM
colincarter46
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


newtophoto wrote:
Everyone says the sigma is sharper than the Nikon, but what about the overall rendering of the image? To me, from what I have seen so far, I prefer the look of the Nikon.


I must be in the minority but I'm not bothered, I can only go on my own findings. I did not find the sigma sharper in real world usage and from shots ive seen on these forums there is nothing to substantial that claim. I also agree,as you said, the Nikon has a much better overall rendering.

The Sigma is certainly not better made, and in my opinion feels cheap compared to the Nikon, the Sigma finish does not feel like it will wear we'll and the one my friend has is starting to show signs of this already.

The sigma crowd would probably call me a Nikon fanboy, but are the sigma crowd just trying to justify their purchase over the Nikon. But who cares really, we all make our own choices and spend our own money.

We will see in a few years if the Sigma holds up quality wise and works with the next generation of cameras, in the meantime my Nikon still looks brand new and produces images that the Sigma might match but cannot beat and I'll stand by that statement if anyone wants to meet up for some real world shooting.



Mar 07, 2013 at 08:23 AM
hijazist
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


"I'll stand by that statement if anyone wants to meet up for some real world shooting"

You should have ended it with "Capish"? Or, "I'm gonna pump you full lead" to make your argument more convincing



Mar 07, 2013 at 08:48 AM
colincarter46
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


hijazist wrote:
"I'll stand by that statement if anyone wants to meet up for some real world shooting"

You should have ended it with "Capish"? Or, "I'm gonna pump you full lead" to make your argument more convincing


Lol

It's only an opinion that I'm willing to stand by that's all, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't need to try and convince anybody, I've convinced myself that the Nikon is the better lens and that all that matters, if you like the Sigma more then thats great, go out and enjoy it. I'm currently looking at getting the Sigma 50 and the sigma 120-300 as there is nothing in the Nikon lens lineup that matches them for quality, so I've nothing against Sigma.

It was more an invitation than an argument, to go out and do some photography and compare results, mtf graphs and lens tests have been proven time and time again to not show the full picture but you can't beat real high res photos in front of you, either printed or on screen.

However, if you want a pistols at dawn contest, you only need to ask



Mar 07, 2013 at 09:09 AM
euua
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


my vote goes to 24/1.4 hand down


Mar 08, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Thorsten
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


trenchmonkey wrote:
I had the Nikon 35 f1.4G and it didn't knock my socks off 'til ~ f1.8/f2. For 1/2 the price the Siggy
is insane wide open. I could give a crap for the name on the barrel...gimmie the results I expect.
The fact it's being done for SO cheap...makes whiners out of those holdin' the Nikon. Just sayin'


Your plain spoken findings back when you got the Sigma were a big factor to get my own copy, and as usual you were right.



Mar 09, 2013 at 12:58 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


Thank you, Thorsten. I'm glad your happy with yours too! I've always been a straight shooter...
folks love me or hate me, wouldn't have it any other way. I sleep very well.



Mar 09, 2013 at 01:21 AM
geniousc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


but are the sigma crowd just trying to justify their purchase over the Nikon.

Sounds to me like the opposite is true

Gene



Mar 09, 2013 at 01:56 AM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


geniousc wrote:
Sounds to me like the opposite is true

Gene


pretty much, half the price and better performance, should be a no-brainer.



Mar 09, 2013 at 04:27 AM
zesto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


Received my Sigma 35 f/1.4 this week (the first 3rd party lens I've ever bought, apart from Zeiss) and it's absolutely one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used. I have a 200 f/2 and the Sigma is very, very close to that. Sold my Nikon about a year ago and now in in the process of selling my Zeiss 35/2.

This is an interesting review:
http://www.lenstip.com/359.1-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM.html

colincarter46 wrote:
recently had a look at the Sigma 35 and dont like it. A friend bought it and we compared them on a shoot and he is selling it for the Nikon.

The Nikon is as sharp (regardless of what some lens tests say),........


Colin, I would think that the Sigma sample your friend has/had has something wrong with it. I know of one person who had to return his as it wasn't up to scratch. Get hold of an average copy of the Sigma and it is superior to the Nikon 35 f/1.4 in sharpness. The bokeh is about the same looking back at some shots taken with my Nikon 35 f/1.4.


Edited on Mar 09, 2013 at 09:33 PM · View previous versions



Mar 09, 2013 at 05:40 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


I have a 200 f/2 and the Sigma is very, very close to that.
I've said the same thing in conversations, more times than I can count.
If you could only have 2 lenses...



Mar 09, 2013 at 12:21 PM
DontShoot
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


Re: The 24 vs 35: I found that the 24 has more of that nice 3D look, but overall not as versatile as the 35 for general photography. It really depends on personal preference here. You should just try both and decide.





Edited on Mar 11, 2013 at 08:07 PM · View previous versions



Mar 09, 2013 at 06:20 PM
fsiagian
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


Waiting for the Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art at $999


Mar 09, 2013 at 06:40 PM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


trenchmonkey wrote:
If you're still shootin' the D7K cropper...you're decision is more like 36mm vs. 52mm
Personally, I like the 28 f1.8G better on mine but YMMV. I'd use a zoom at 24 & 35 and see
what FL you like better BEFORE droppin' some serious coin on that 24 onna DX body.



mmmm 28 1.8 on my d7k is the tits



Mar 10, 2013 at 02:59 AM
traylorc
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


newtophoto wrote:
Everyone says the sigma is sharper than the Nikon, but what about the overall rendering of the image? To me, from what I have seen so far, I prefer the look of the Nikon.


If you prefer the Nikon...nothing wrong with that. I have shot with both, and overall prefer the overall performance of the Sigma. Don't get me wrong, it's not that the image rendering of the Nikon was bad. But it was not good enough for me to justify the significant price difference between the two lens. I'm fortunate to have the disposable income to spend on either one...but if I'm going to pay essentially a "premium" for the Nikon IMHO it would need to blow the Sigma out of the water. I just didn't see that.

To me this is one of those nice occasions in photography when you can purchase a third party product, pay less cash, and receive comparable or even superior performance than buying from the big two.

To answer the OPs question...I would pick the Sigma 35mm over the Nikon 24mm. I agree with Ben who commented that his purchase of the 24mm was a case of N.A.S.. The 24mm is a very good lens...but I just didn't find myself using it enough to justify the cost.




Mar 10, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Chestnut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon 24 f/1.4 or 35 f/1.4?


I bought the Nikon 24mm first, and never regretted it. I love the lens, and on my DX camera (travel setup), it's practically/almost a 35/1.4, which was great. I see the use for both focal lengths, and would not be able to favor 1 over another with any conviction. However, I must say that if u do a lot of closer up portraiture, the 35 won't distort your subject as much (which is half of the reason why I bought my sigma).

I had wanted a 35mm for a while, but 1) wanted to wait for an update to the older 35/2, and when the new 35/1.4G came out, couldn't justify the premium. After seeing what the Sigma can do, there no way I'd pay almost twice for the Nikon.



Mar 11, 2013 at 02:35 AM
1      
2
       3       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password