Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

So it's time to buy some external drives again...i'm leaning toward an internal drive in my own enclosure, so i know exactly what the mechanism is...but i get so many reactions from people on what drives they recommend when it comes to longevity....personally i've had one WD fail, one Seagate, and ZERO Hitachi drives fail...i still have a consumer grade Seagate as a time machine drive that is going strong (knock on wood), and 2 differend ones as an archive drive that are working fine, and 2 drives with seagate mechanisms in them that are running (knock on wood), although one has gotten corrupted fairly easy twice now...i've come to the conclusion that i'm just going to double or triple backup everything like crazy, and buy a new drive or 2 every year as well....

So personally my greatest sucess has been hitachi...some hate hitachi...personally i hate WD...others swear by them...i'm on the fence about seagate...what's weird is that Hitachi is now HGST, which is owned by WD... :-(...so anyway, i thought i'd poll the audience...

EDIT: btw, i'm not including SSD's in the pole/consideration, because they'll be external, prob running usb 2.0/3.0, maybe FW800...and they cost more...and, as another point of contention, the verdict is still out on them...

Edited on Mar 05, 2013 at 01:00 PM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:51 PM
srh70

p.1 #2 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

I've had 2 Western Digital HD's go out on me. I've never had any problems with Seagate drives. I have several of the 1-3 TB Seagate drives at home and work for a few years now and no problems with any of them. Never had a Toshiba or Hitachi drive that I can recall.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:59 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Cooling the drives is the most important thing to do so whatever enclosure you use be sure to exhaust the heat - preferably with a fan.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:01 PM
MP79
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Right now I'm liking the WD RED series for data storage (for an OS drive I go the SSD route).

I would bet, however, that you're going to get quite a range of answers, so I would suggest that the most important factor when buying a HDD nowadays is how thoroughly you torture test the actual drives you receive-no matter what the brand or model-to ensure that they are at least not in the process of failure right off the bat or prone to early failure.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:07 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

As my grandma used to say "6 of one and half a dozen of the other". Each manufacturer has had bad models, but I don't think there is much to tell between manufacturers in general.

Currently I look to get drives which aren't too aggressive with power management (I.e. don't spin down too soon) for normal applications. For this I have then tended towards seagates and avoided WD green drives. For software RAID I want drives that either have a low TLER/CCTL value or accept a re-programming of the value. There I have Samsung drives now and will probably look at WD reds in the future.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:07 PM
MP79
• •
p.1 #6 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Keep in mind also, things have changed and are changing pretty rapidly in industry right now, so stories about one person having had this brand fail on them in the past versus never having any issues with some other brand are not always as relevant as in other cases.

Sadly, it seems to be the way of the world more and more that build quality is a model specific issue versus a brand wide one and issues can come and go with each generation of a product.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

In my 10+ years of business, we've used literally hundreds of drives, and I dealt with thousands before that in my corporate IT job.

As other have mentioned, times are constantly changing, as are manufacturing processes and therefore MTBF and overall reliability of a certain 'line' from each producer.

I will agree that cooling is your #1 factor in longevity.
And I know somebody will come up with the google server farm stats that will show an increase of drive failure if you have them too cool. What most fail to see in that report is that by too cool, we're talking in air conditioned server rooms at around 60F - something quite hard to achieve in a home office. Secondly, the most overlooked fact in that report is that in hotter conditions, failure rate is most certainly about 30% higher than even the 'too cool' drives.

Based on our drive failures, Maxtor would top the list by far. Other than that, from those listed, as others have mentioned, it's probably even par with them all.

I suggest getting one drive from at least two manufacturers and run them both as mirrors (dual backups) so if you run into a problem with one, odds are less likely to be a problem on the second drive (unless they are both in an overheating situtation)

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:25 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

^^ Well Maxtor aren't in the business any more, so its no problem to avoid them.

For what little statistical value the observation has, i also found my Maxtors (mostly 120Gb models) to be less reliable than the Seagates that i was also buying at the same time.

I'm not sure that MTBF has any real value. Most drives on the market claim an MTBF in the region of 1 million plus hours. By my maths that's comfortably over 100 years. If the numbers bore any relation to reality, i would have had far fewer hard drive failures than i have. Indeed, i would expect nearly all the hard disks i have ever bought to still work, except a couple i dropped and one on which i accidentally shorted the SATA power connector

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

15Bit wrote:
^^ Well Maxtor aren't in the business any more, so its no problem to avoid them.

Actually, Seagate aquired Maxtor in 2006. Not sure what aspects of their business that Seagate wanted? I'm sure there was some manufacturing processes/equipment gained - how Seagate badges them is unknown?

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #10 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

FWIW, I used to have a very simple backup setup. It was a Seagate external and it died on me. I lost about 20 Gigas of photos (around nikon D70 times).

I have never ever bought anything from Seagate again. I now mostly use Lacie, WD and I just bought a Iomega external. All of those have giving me reliable service. I have now grown to be a backup freak and I have redundants scattered around the house. Of the mentioned brands, Lacie seems the best constructed/robust.. WD's are a bit plasticky... and WD's bundled backup software sucks big time..

A bit OT, but what backup software for mac are you guys using??

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Hammy wrote:
Actually, Seagate aquired Maxtor in 2006. Not sure what aspects of their business that Seagate wanted? I'm sure there was some manufacturing processes/equipment gained - how Seagate badges them is unknown?

Probably the usual - IP, manufacturing capability and some economies of scale.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:04 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Guari wrote:
I have never ever bought anything from Seagate again. I now mostly use Lacie, WD and I just bought a Iomega external.

Well, since from that list only WD actually makes hard drives, if you crack open your Lacie or Iomega box you might well find you *have* purchased another Seagate drive...

Personally i tend to avoid Lacie external boxes. The ones i have seen might be well made but they have very poor cooling.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #13 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

15Bit wrote:
Well, since from that list only WD actually makes hard drives, if you crack open your Lacie or Iomega box you might well find you *have* purchased another Seagate drive...

Personally i tend to avoid Lacie external boxes. The ones i have seen might be well made but they have very poor cooling.

Yes, I suppose it's possible to have a Seagate in disguise. What the eyes don't see, the heart can't feel

And yes, the Lacie's are built like tanks.. Cooling might be a problem, but one I haven't encountered...

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:14 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Guari wrote:
FWIW, I used to have a very simple backup setup. It was a Seagate external and it died on me. I lost about 20 Gigas of photos (around nikon D70 times).

I have never ever bought anything from Seagate again. I now mostly use Lacie, WD and I just bought a Iomega external. All of those have giving me reliable service. I have now grown to be a backup freak and I have redundants scattered around the house. Of the mentioned brands, Lacie seems the best constructed/robust.. WD's are a bit plasticky... and WD's bundled backup software sucks big time..

A bit
...Show more
I certainly hope you have drives stored away from the house. One fire and you lose everything.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:47 PM
rodmcwha
• •
p.1 #15 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

I seem to remember that when the tsunami hit Japan, that it was reported that a factory that supplied HDD mechanisms to ALL the companies was taken out. Anyone else catch that?

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

rodmcwha wrote:
I seem to remember that when the tsunami hit Japan, that it was reported that a factory that supplied HDD mechanisms to ALL the companies was taken out. Anyone else catch that?

I don't remember too much of a spike in HDD prices after that.
When there was flooding in Thailand (a couple years ago), where most are made, HDD prices jumped about 3x in just a few weeks.

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:35 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

WD gets my vote

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:04 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Yes it was the Thailand floods an motors made by Nidec was one of the reasons for the hard drive shortage.

As far a favorite manufacturer I don't have a favorite. Despite anecdotal evidence if you buy a drive and it dies this dose not mean that if you buy another from the same company it will die also.

I don't buy hard drives online though, I figure that the less the drive is handled in transit the better. The last item I had delivered from Amazon made 5 stops after being shipped thats 12 times from the time the part being picked and being dropped at my door that is had a chance to be dropped or otherwise handled poorly. If you buy locally I would assume the handling would be less.

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

There are only two majors left - WD and Seagate. HGST is done, being absorbed into WD as Samsung (HDs) was merged into Seagate. Toshiba obtained part of HGST's 3.5" equipment/technology to allay some EU concerns over monopolies.

EBH

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:03 AM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #20 · Favorite Hard Drive Manufacturer?

Hitachi and Toshiba have been the most reliable units in the past for me. But as others point out, hard drive manufacturing facilities are bought and sold almost daily.

As a general rule, I look for "enterprise" class drives.

Mar 06, 2013 at 06:19 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password