Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

GGcat

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

I had my Canon 70-200L IS MkI on the buy and sell forum and sold it this morning, now I'm wondering if it was too easy. My concern arises from a previous post discussing whether it's safe to sell to some one that has no posts.

The details: I'm also new on the boards and have not sold any gear until this weekend. The buyer has no posts and registered today, his payment via PayPal has been made and is now in my account. His address is PayPal verified and the mailing address he sent via PM is the same. I made a commitment and will be sending the lens today since that is the honorable thing to do. I understand that he has to start somewhere as I did but what is the opinion of those of you with vastly more experience than mine. Was it too easy?

Thanks for your help.

Gil

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:29 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

Gil, the absence of data is never data for the absence of a disorder Indeed, we all started from zero. If that's all that's worrying you, I'd just see how the transaction goes. Oh, you might want to think about pulling the money from your PP account immediately and transferring it to the bank account you've got set up with PP. When it's there, withdraw it and put it in another account, e.g, a savings account in a different bank. While that won't 'protect' you from a PP claim, it will keep YOU in charge of the money until such time as whatever problem that might emerge gets addressed. YMMV, just my .02$. I expect some other folks will show up here with a lot better input than I've given you.

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:39 PM
GGcat

p.1 #3 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

Anthony, thanks for the advice. My gut tells me it's fine but feelings aren't proof.

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

Sounds like a done deal. Easy is good.

P.S. don't forget to get delivery confirmation on the shipping.

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:34 AM
GGcat

p.1 #5 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

Absolutely Thanks!

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:40 AM
drive_75
• • •
p.1 #6 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

Buy insurance.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

drive_75 wrote:
Buy insurance.

That, too,

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:02 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. We all started somewhere.

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:05 AM
GGcat

p.1 #9 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

Thanks all, I shipped it insured with delivery confirmation. I appreciate your thoughts.

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:40 AM
MyCanon60D

p.1 #10 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

More importantly is to have signature confirmation at delivery. I don't think the insurance will cover anything if package is not damaged or if the receiver does not raise any issue when receive the package.

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

drive_75
• • •
p.1 #11 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

MyCanon60D wrote:
More importantly is to have signature confirmation at delivery. I don't think the insurance will cover anything if package is not damaged or if the receiver does not raise any issue when receive the package.

Insurance is a must in my book.

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:34 AM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.1 #12 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

What kind of question is that ? How could a transaction be too easy ?
You have his money and you send him the lens, what else is there ? I don't see a problem. Unless I'm missing something, if anything, he should be worried about you. He's paid for a lens he hasn't received yet.
Like others have said, buy some insurance in case anything happens in transit. And leave him some good feedback if everything goes as planned.

Mar 06, 2013 at 02:41 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #13 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

What kind of question is that ? How could a transaction be too easy ? You have his money and you send him the lens, what else is there ? I don't see a problem.

Did you just wake up and crawl out from under a rock? If you think you can't be scammed after someone has made a payment via Paypal, you must be completely ignorant of Paypal's pitfalls.

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:20 AM
mclldavidson
• •
p.1 #14 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

I would never just get delivery confirmation on an expensive item, that is just asking for trouble

Mar 08, 2013 at 08:32 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

Transfer money to your bank account ASAP.

Mar 13, 2013 at 05:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

Michaelparris wrote:
Transfer money to your bank account ASAP.

That's no guarantee that it won't get clawed back if there's a credit card or PayPal grievance.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

I have sold to people before with no feedback on here and on eBay - and I have been lucky so far. I keep all communications between myself and the buyer until all is good.

Mar 13, 2013 at 06:14 PM
tama01

Account locked
p.1 #18 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

No word from GGcat since March 04. I wonder if he is going to let us know how it went.

Mar 13, 2013 at 06:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

Dustin Gent wrote:
I have sold to people before with no feedback on here and on eBay - and I have been lucky so far. I keep all communications between myself and the buyer until all is good.

Me too.

Mar 13, 2013 at 09:25 PM
GGcat

p.1 #20 · Sold a lens, was it too easy?

Hi all, everything turned out fine but let me tell you what happened FYI.

I arrived at the post office 5 minutes before closing and probably due to their budget problems they were anxious to close. While in line a PO worker came up to me and said she'd help me and took me over to the do it yourself kiosk. I gave her my info which she entered, gave her the package and left. Two days later I get an email from the buyer saying he hasn't received it and the tracking number I sent him doesn't work. I return to the PO, tell them the problem and have them look. They can't find the tracking info and don't know why. Fortunately the package arrives the next day and all's fine. The buyer was understanding and happy with the lens.

Lesson learned though, I had insurance and the receipts so we were covered but from now on I'll only drop off packages at the counter.

Thanks for your input and I hope my experience will be helpful to any new sellers.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password