Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Quantum TD users (question?)

Corojo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Quantum TD users (question?)

anybody using Quantum TDs w/optional QF 67A domed (NOT flat) diffusers? Wondering if they would work in a pinch for location portraits.

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:30 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #2 · Quantum TD users (question?)

For a portrait, I don't think you'll see any difference between the QF 67A and the regular double diffusers. All the 67A is intended for is a more even coverage over a wider area for wider angle lenses (24mm and shorter). The Quantum website says120 coverage but even the regular diffusers will give you that.. (with a greater fall off to the edges). Their relative size is the same.

The 18" Norman softbox would probably work better for you, or even the Quantum sports reflector and sock.

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #3 · Quantum TD users (question?)

Thanks for you reply... issues we have run into have been outdoor portrait sessions in (somewhat) windy conditions when our softboxes/umbrella have fallen (no damage to the TD's). Even using a 25 lb. weight on the light stands; the stands, lights, umbrellas/softboxes go DOWN! Kinda embarassing!

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #4 · Quantum TD users (question?)

All the photos in this gallery were shot with the QF67A on a Trio off camera. I've haven't done a side by side comparison under similar shoots with the regular diffuser so couldn't say if there's much difference.
http://grapevinephoto.zenfolio.com/p279561946

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #5 · Quantum TD users (question?)

Thanks Jim - what I needed to see. Nice Work.

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:13 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Quantum TD users (question?)

Corojo wrote:
...issues we have run into have been outdoor portrait sessions in (somewhat) windy conditions when our softboxes/umbrella have fallen (no damage to the TD's). Even using a 25 lb. weight on the light stands; the stands, lights, umbrellas/softboxes go DOWN! Kinda embarassing!

It's all about leverage: 25 pounds at the bottom of a (relatively) skinny column versus wind at the top of the column doesn't help much.

What I've done for outdoor portraits is rig a couple of guy wires to the top of the stand and run them out a ways up wind, attached either to sand bags or to stakes in the ground.

Mar 05, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #7 · Quantum TD users (question?)

The 18" Norman softbox would probably work better for you, or even the Quantum sports reflector and sock.

I also shoot portraits outdoors and had some issues with my Qflash with a shoot-through umbrella. Didn't think about the Norman octa, which I have. I wonder if it would provide coverage for a waist-up portrait, if it were placed around six feet from the subject. Any thoughts?

Mar 06, 2013 at 05:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Corojo
• • •
p.1 #8 · Quantum TD users (question?)

BrianO... problem is our 2 favorite Botanical Gardens (read...fancy parks) get really PO'd when somebody does anything to mess up the terrain (staking out light stands). Agree that is the most secure way to secure stands... won't work here.

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:26 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #9 · Quantum TD users (question?)

Corojo wrote:
Even using a 25 lb. weight on the light stands; the stands, lights, umbrellas/softboxes go DOWN! Kinda embarassing!

25 lb. weights must be in the realm of 'stage weights'. It would surely take some gust to topple something of that weight? Stage weights would sit on the stand cross bars and straddle the upright.. I've never had one of those go. I'd expect the stand would break with that sort of force exerted.

Softboxes and wind certainly don't mix.

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:40 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #10 · Quantum TD users (question?)

Steve Wylie wrote:
Didn't think about the Norman octa, which I have. I wonder if it would provide coverage for a waist-up portrait, if it were placed around six feet from the subject. Any thoughts?

Indoors they tend to provide quite a contrasty light and hard shadows so you almost always need a fill of sorts. Outside, if you're not too far away from ambient levels it should be OK.

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:45 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Quantum TD users (question?)

Corojo wrote:
BrianO... problem is our 2 favorite Botanical Gardens (read...fancy parks) get really PO'd when somebody does anything to mess up the terrain (staking out light stands). Agree that is the most secure way to secure stands... won't work here.

Yeah, that's why I said stakes or sand bags at the ends of the wires.

That's not always allowed, either, as it may be viewed as a safety hazard, but it's sometimes an option.

Mar 07, 2013 at 03:36 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #12 · Quantum TD users (question?)

Just a throw-in here....

I have a load of these T5D-r units here. They all came with the double flat panel diffusers. When I was looking to load a couple of these with the wide diffuser it was just on my mind as a ' I'll get to it ' type of thing.

I was in the hardware store one day and found one of these lights that you can stick in the closet or under the sink with batteries. You tap the dome, it lights, tap again, it goes out. It appeared to be roughly the same diameter as the reflector on the T5. I snapped it up for $5.99 and took it home. After a 3 minute disassemble I took the tupperware ring off the reflector and low and behold... It snapped right on the front of my reflector. I bought 6....

Works like a champ. It's slightly less bulbous as the Quantum wide angle dome, but I still get about another 35-45 out of it..

Mar 08, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #13 · Quantum TD users (question?)

I'll look for them in the stores. Did something similar w/my Photogenic Powerlights some time ago... found that a 1 qt. Tupperware 'bottom' would nestle into the units 7" reflectors perfectly - scuffed up the tupperware w/emery cloth to "change" the color of the tupperware dome from a light gray to bright white. Worked great! Used an Innovatronix Explorer sine wave intertor for power - had 30+ lbs. of lighting gear to 'schlep' for location work! Lots of power - lots of weight! Now time to 'lighten up'.

Mar 08, 2013 at 08:44 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password