Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Small event pricing

douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Small event pricing

I have an opportunity to photograph a couple small events this Spring. There is no direct fee but rather I would be compensated thru print sales. Do there exist any general rules for pricing prints for such an event. I'm sure this has been asked before, but my searches came up empty.
Thanks for any input you may offer.
Douglas

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:19 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Small event pricing

Doug, we do several small events per year (Golf outings). Print on site w/Sony 5x7 dye sub printers - worth our time! I think I you were to post online and expect any sales later you will be dissapointed. Need a shoooter and person on printer/sales for best results. Just my take...

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:28 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Small event pricing

On some events, such as golf outings, I would agree with Corojo. However, I shoot dance performances, post the pictures online for viewing/print sales, and I usually do quite well with that.

Ron

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:48 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Small event pricing

Thanks for quick replies, maybe I used the wong terminology.
This will be group and individual shots up to 8x10 prints for confirmation and 1st Communion, I believe it will be pre-sale as parents will be choosing the type of shot up to four per student plus an overall group shot, they will want ahead of time. My predcessor would then order prints and mail them to the people who ordered with a shipping and handling cost.
Douglas

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:16 AM
Michael White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Small event pricing

The first event I shot jpg and sold images unedited on a cd for $5 a shot with some bulk deals. I made about $200 for the day. Everything was done on the spot I think I even printed 8x10s for $25. I eventually started shooting this sport everywhere in the local area and my prices went up and I mailed what sales couldn't be delivered at the event since they were two day events. The best I did was when my teenage daughter at the time managed the computer allowing the individuals to view and place orders while I was still shooting after they were done competing I would hurry back and post very lightly and burn or print the orders out. If I was going back in to event photography for this sport which was cowboy mounting shooting I would either do one of the following.

1) get with three other individuals a post person a salesman and a runner/ assistant and I would do the shooting and we split profits base on position shooter gets 50%, post gets 10-20% depending on two things their abilit and the amount of contribution delivered, the assistant would get 10-15% and the salesman the rest since everyone's amount would be increased if he was good at what he did.

2) shoot everything the first day and setup for sales the second do the post the evening of the first completing during the day on the second. This way everything goes to me. I feel this would generate less than option one even for me from what I've seen.

3) shoot both days with images being transmitted to a couple of computers in kiosk mode and a large screen tv for catching everyone's interest with forms and or computerized ording for delivery my mail later. The images also would be forsale online at a website where they fill and send orders out in send me a percentage of the sales every week or month.

I would prefer option one ans three both. Sale what I can while there plus book indivual portrait/action sessions during and after the event timeframe and have the images posted and online for sales after each event. They may not buy during the event but something down the road makes them go back a place and order and it is what I refer to as free money since everything was already done and sitting there.

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:34 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password