Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

davinyc wrote:
That body is just right for sticking on a pole catching red light dodgers

reno.peterson wrote:
Talk about an unconstitutional practice!!!!!

Please quote the relevant section of the Constitution. (I bet you can't.)

Mar 09, 2013 at 12:58 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

reno.peterson wrote:
Talk about an unconstitutional practice!!!!!

Cars don't kill people. Jerks who run red lights in cars kill people . Dead serious. No humour implied or intended.

Mar 09, 2013 at 01:06 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

BrianO wrote:
Anti-aliasing can affect the appearance or human perception of jagginess, but the true jagginess is a function of the size of the pixels.

And, to a photographer/videographer taking images ultimately intended for human viewing, human perception is everything --- so a camera system that limits control over how crisp/soft those equally sized pixels look is disadvantageous. Of course, in the regime where this sensor is designed to be most interesting --- extremely low light imaging --- resolution is already seriously compromised by photon noise (and the image probably already contains <2Mpx of "real" information), so there is less advantage to over-sampling the data.

Mar 09, 2013 at 01:16 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

retrofocus wrote:
Yes. To me it looks like that Canon moves very heavily towards the video market in the photography area while Nikon seems to do the opposite currently and focuses more on the picture photographers. Both companies started to differentiate here. Most lenses which Canon released recently are mainly focused on applications in the video market. I can only suspect that Canon believes the video market brings in more money and profit.

Just because Canon has no answer yet to low ISO DR hardly means they are shifting away from still photographers. They have released a lot of nice gear in the last year that any photographer would want. I do not shoot video at all yet have been very happy with the 1DX and the 600RT speedlights. In another couple of months I will get a 24-70 II. Most people have been incredibly pleased with the AF and high ISO performance in the 5D3 as well. I don't think Canon is in a rush to pump something out for low ISO DR. It will come out when it's ready. The vast majority of people want better high ISO and that's where they are concentrating right now. If their bottomline was actually being affected by low ISO DR you can damn well bet they would have a response.

Seems to me Canon is a big enough company to feed the habits of both videographer and photographer. Unfortunately, being a big company sometimes means grinding through a slower development phase but I seriously doubt Canon is not advancing all lines of their products.

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Peter Le
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Indeed.

The same could be said of Formula One cars - they don't affect the man on the street. However, many of the inventions in Formula One 10-15 years ago are in your car right now, saving your life when things get hairy.

Companies do R&D work which doesn't directly affect people today, but it does affect them tomorrow.

So you are saying Canon will have a answer to the Nikon D800 in 10 or 15 years ? That is about what I figured.......

Mar 09, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Peter Le wrote:
So you are saying Canon will have a answer to the Nikon D800 in 10 or 15 years ? That is about what I figured.......

No. You figured wrong.

Mar 09, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Peter Le
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Monito wrote:
No. You figured wrong.

Oh yes I knew I could count on you for a good reply.....

Mar 09, 2013 at 09:43 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

While I completely understand comments about the apparent relationship between sensitivity and pixel size/resolution I do wonder if the new sensors performance comes from improvements in other technical areas. If so it would be reasonable to expect some of this "goodness" to percolate down to new production DSLRs for the likes of you and me within a handful of years.

For example its probable that the 5D4 is still approximately 3 years away (an eternity in the electronics industry ?!) and as an ignoramus it seems to me totally possible that the 5D4 sensor is already being thought of and designed in the light of the latest tech. I am optimistic that the next generation of Canon full frame DSLRs will have stunning low light/high ISO performance borrowing from this new video chip.

But what do I know.

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:31 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

It should be 2 years away, but cameras have been upgraded in less time than that.

EBH

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:53 AM
CAlbertson
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

> Sadly it's for video, but an interesting read, and also interesting that Canon should bother to announce this..??

What happens is that ANY sensor can be this senitive to light and noise free if you reduce the pixel count to what is used for HD video. A 1080i screen as only 1080i video screen has only about 2 megapixels. So if we make a full farm sensor with 2MP we'd have a "see in the dark with no flash" still camera but no one would buy it because to think they need 24MP. This is really not new tech, just a low pixel count but physical large sensor. It is exactly what is needed for movies because they need the small DOF that only a large sensor can do.

I think that for any still photographer who shoots for the web 2MP is enough.

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:17 PM
CAlbertson
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

David Baldwin wrote:
While I completely understand comments about the apparent relationship between sensitivity and pixel size/resolution I do wonder if the new sensors performance comes from improvements in other technical areas. If so it would be reasonable to expect some of this "goodness" to percolate down to new production DSLRs for the likes of you and me within a handful of years.

For example its probable that the 5D4 is still approximately 3 years away (an eternity in the electronics industry ?!) and as an ignoramus it seems to me totally possible that the 5D4 sensor is already being thought of
...Show more

No, we are alrady very close to what the laws of physics allow. Don't expect huge improvements. It is simply a trade off between the physical size of the sensor and the number of pixels on the sensor. Fillm was a very mature technology in 1980. Back then we saw only very slow advances. Digital is getting that way fast. It is nearly mature now and will improves slower as time goes on. The price will go down, yes.

So what we might expect in 10 or 15 years is a medium format (maybe 4.5x6) sensor with 24MP that s very sensitive and noise free but we will never get an 24MP aps-c or dx sensor like that.

On the other hand no one may ever want this because we now days look at photos on eelectronic screens where even a good screen has less than 4MP

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:23 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

CAlbertson wrote:
...This is really not new tech, just a low pixel count but physical large sensor.

You are mistaken. There is more to it than just large sensels with old technology.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

CAlbertson wrote:
So if we make a full farm sensor

I want a full farm sensor so I can know where my cows are!

... if I had any.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:36 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.