Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Two reactions. I note that it is being shown at a "Security Show." That suggests a first use in "watch you everywhere, even in the dark" CATV. As for the size of the pixels and making it to a hand held camera, one of the first laws of engineering is "make it work on a larger scale, then make it small." Could be interesting though I can't imagine what the technology will cost.

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:52 PM
davinyc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

That body is just right for sticking on a pole catching red light dodgers

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:44 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

The D30 had ~ 10 micron square pixels, but old technology in the rest of the chain ...

Only jerks run red lights anyway so kudos to Canon

Mar 04, 2013 at 06:44 PM
joychris
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

I want, even if is that crappy black box. Just call it that, the Canon Black Box and sell it for $3995.

Mar 04, 2013 at 07:26 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

This is like walnut burger. Everything we don't need. Perhaps Canon will abandon the DSLR altogether.

EBH

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:30 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

M Lucca wrote:

That is one ugly camera body.

http://www.canon.com/news/2013/img/mar04b.jpg

Still better than a nikon!

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:48 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Does the red ring indicate an L lens

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

EB-1 wrote:
This is like walnut burger. Everything we don't need. Perhaps Canon will abandon the DSLR altogether.

+1. I stoped reading when I saw "exclusively for video recording".

Dear Canon, where's the high MP sensor announcement? The thing that people are actually waiting for.

Edited on Mar 05, 2013 at 01:54 AM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:41 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

"This is like walnut burger. Everything we don't need."

You don't think that a technology that allows banding free/low noise images to be made under starlight won't ultimately benefit ordinary DSLR camera sensors? Again and again on FM people worry about sensor noise, sensor banding at high ISO, these are not marginal people, they are sports, theatre, candid etc photographers. It may be that this new sensor shows that these concerns are being addressed in a spectacular way. The mind boggles at the thought of an uncooled sensor that can make movies of meteors! The new sensor's read out channels, noise floor and all the other tech stuff I don't understand but know is crucial to sensor performance, must be incredibly good by ordinary DSLR standards. We may all benefit from what Canon are doing. Perhaps the 5D4 or 6D2 will have some of this new goodness.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:45 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

David Baldwin wrote:
"This is like walnut burger. Everything we don't need."

You don't think that a technology that allows banding free/low noise images to be made under starlight won't ultimately benefit ordinary DSLR camera sensors? Again and again on FM people worry about sensor noise, sensor banding at high ISO, these are not marginal people, they are sports, theatre, candid etc photographers. It may be that this new sensor shows that these concerns are being addressed in a spectacular way. The mind boggles at the thought of an uncooled sensor that can make movies of meteors! The new sensor's read out channels,
...Show more

Indeed.

The same could be said of Formula One cars - they don't affect the man on the street. However, many of the inventions in Formula One 10-15 years ago are in your car right now, saving your life when things get hairy.

Companies do R&D work which doesn't directly affect people today, but it does affect them tomorrow.

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:00 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

I'm still waiting for the 120 megapixel APS-H sensor that Canon developed three years ago to actually make it into a product:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2010/8/24/canon120mpsensor

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:02 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

I was having a think about this.

I know this is a 2mp sensor, but to get it to a 12mp sensor which works well enough might not be impossible - the difference between 2mp and 12mp in terms of resolution down each axis is a lot less than the difference between the two numbers 2 and 12 (ie. 6x). It might mean doubling the resolution down each axis or similar (not feeling the math today...)

So we might yet see this tech in cameras!

Or maybe I just don't understand

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:03 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

It's late and I'm not an engineer but if the pixel size increases as in get larger as I read in the op wouldn't that make the still images jaggeder at 1:1?

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:34 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Rickuz wrote:
+1. I stoped reading when I saw "exclusively for video recording".

Dear Canon, where's the high MP sensor announcement? The thing that people are actually waiting for.

Yes. To me it looks like that Canon moves very heavily towards the video market in the photography area while Nikon seems to do the opposite currently and focuses more on the picture photographers. Both companies started to differentiate here. Most lenses which Canon released recently are mainly focused on applications in the video market. I can only suspect that Canon believes the video market brings in more money and profit.
There is a possibility that Canon might not even focus on developing such a demanded sensor since their focus has so shifted towards video. I hope that this is not true, but recent developments from Canon make me a bit more doubtful. If finally Canon releases such sensor, it must be latest beginning of next year or better even this year, otherwise the gap to the competition will be nearly impossible to match with since Nikon and Sony especially are not sitting still during this time either.

Mar 05, 2013 at 08:04 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Sounds great for low light videography. However, if the low-light advantage of a sensor like this comes from the large pixel size, I wonder how useful the design paradigm will be to photographers, especially photographers who like to make big enlargements.

Many decry current manufacturers' emphasis on megapixels, but if I'm doing starfield work, it is not unusual for a star to take up less than a pixel on a 12MP sensor, and less than 3 pixels on a 36MP sensor. I imagine I'd have a pretty hard time enlarging a print from a sensor like this to a large size, as even my best 12MP night shots start to break down at print sizes larger than 20x30.

Mar 08, 2013 at 04:43 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

Michael White wrote:
It's late and I'm not an engineer but if the pixel size increases as in get larger as I read in the op wouldn't that make the still images jaggeder at 1:1?

Yes, a 2MP image will be more jagged than, for example, an 18MP image when both are viewed in full resolution at the same output size.

However, an 18MP image downsampled to display at 1080p video resolution will be exactly the same as a native 1080p image, which is what this video-specific sensor probably has, so it won't be more jagged in that use.

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:53 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
...the difference between 2mp and 12mp in terms of resolution down each axis is a lot less than the difference between the two numbers 2 and 12 (ie. 6x). It might mean doubling the resolution down each axis or similar (not feeling the math today...)

You got it right: about 2.4 times, just slightly more than doubled.

Mar 09, 2013 at 12:25 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

davinyc wrote:
That body is just right for sticking on a pole catching red light dodgers

Talk about an unconstitutional practice!!!!!

Mar 09, 2013 at 12:29 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

BrianO wrote:
Yes, a 2MP image will be more jagged than, for example, an 18MP image when both are viewed in full resolution at the same output size.

However, an 18MP image downsampled to display at 1080p video resolution will be exactly the same as a native 1080p image, which is what this video-specific sensor probably has, so it won't be more jagged in that use.

Not necessarily. With the native 1080p sensor, you're basically stuck with whatever tradeoff between aliasing and blurry edges is built in to the hardware (as a function of microlens design, AA filter, etc.); depending on what Canon chooses, it could be jagged or smooth. When downsampling from a higher resolution image, you have the flexibility to dial in exactly the level of anti-aliasing you want, which might vary significantly between scenes (or even portions of the same scene).

Mar 09, 2013 at 12:42 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon announces new Full Frame sensor!

mpmendenhall wrote:
...When downsampling from a higher resolution image, you have the flexibility to dial in exactly the level of anti-aliasing you want, which might vary significantly between scenes (or even portions of the same scene).

Anti-aliasing can affect the appearance or human perception of jagginess, but the true jagginess is a function of the size of the pixels.

Mar 09, 2013 at 12:57 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.