Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

Johnny B Goode
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

I suppose the Feisol 3372 is a better bet.

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:34 AM
nma
• • •
p.2 #2 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

The Feisol 3372 is a more heavy duty tripod, not suitable for travel on an airplane because the folded length is 25 in. It is also rather heavy compared to the 3442.

Your problem is that you bought the wrong ball head for 3442. It can certainly be used with the 3442 but you will not be able to fold the legs back over the head to save space. So, the simplest thing to do is to remove the head when doing air travel and pack it separately; it won't fit in the Feisol-provided tripod bag.

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:49 AM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.2 #3 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

True but it still folds smaller than the Induro, weighs less than the comparable Induro and expands to a taller height than the 3442. My dilema now is do I prioritize compactness or height. I could even spend the extra $20 and get the Feisol 3472 that folds down to 20.5in compared to the 19in of the 3442. The wider base of the 3472 may even allow me to reverse the legs over the top of the GP ball head.

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:03 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.2 #4 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

I have the Feisol CT-3441 with a Acratech GP-S head. This is a slightly smaller tripod than the 3442, and it has a center column. The GP-S is a smaller version of the GP, with a smaller base diameter. So my experience may not exactly match what you will see with your combination, but anyway: there is no problem folding the legs over the GP-S with the center column extended. One leg fits between the knobs on the head, and the other two more or less fit into small fillets on the head that are coincidentally in the right place. The resulting package is small and light, fits into a small suitcase and works well with a hiking backpack.

I'm not sure how well this would work if the tripod did not have a center column. With the head down by the base, the diameter of the head would be a bigger issue and might prevent the legs from folding parallel. The larger GP head might affect this as well.

Dave

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:46 PM
gardenvalley
• • •
p.2 #5 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

In response to the OP`s original question regarding the Manfrotto 190cx/4 I would say avoid it unless you are going to a wobble-fest. I had one which I bought for a particular trip where it`s short folded length would be required but it did not offer a solid enough platform even for m4/3. The 055cx model is better but was completely outclassed when I got a Feisol 3441S with which I am happy.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.2 #6 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

I guess my best option is the Feisol 3472. It's similar in price to the Induro but 20.5in instead of the Induro's 28in. Lighter weight. Will fit the Acratech head and it's tall enough so I don't need to hunch over.

So $570 for the legs and $400 for the head and plate. Is this tripod setup worth $1k? I'd rather not have to puchase another one in atleast 10-15 years.

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:41 PM
nma
• • •
p.2 #7 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

Of course you will ultimately decide which of these is tall enough but perhaps this will help. I am 6 ft 11 in tall. I use the 3442 without center column. Most of my landscape work is done with live view, so focusing can be precise. I find the tripod very comfortable to stand over for extended periods. I can easily use the optical view finder, too. The 3442 stands 54 in high, fully extended. Add about 4 in for a ball head and 5 in for a dslr and it comes to about 63 in high. Is that too low for you?

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:49 PM
peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

Johnny B Goode wrote:
I guess my best option is the Feisol 3472.

The base diameter of that tripod is a whopping 90mm. The base diameter of the 3442 is 80mm, which I think will accommodate the Acratech GP ballhead.

Have you determined from the manufacturers that the 3442 base is too small for the ballhead or perhaps the legs won't fold back over it? That's a pretty big tripod you're thinking of getting...

Mar 06, 2013 at 02:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

S Richardson

p.2 #9 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

I have the 3441S with the optional short column, and I have the PhotoClam 40 ball head. Take off the hook and when folded over the ball head the length is 16.75". Also, the legs are 6" apart from each other when the tripod is folded. Makes for a very small footprint in the suitcase when traveling.

Mar 06, 2013 at 03:01 AM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.2 #10 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

peter_n wrote:
The base diameter of that tripod is a whopping 90mm. The base diameter of the 3442 is 80mm, which I think will accommodate the Acratech GP ballhead.

Have you determined from the manufacturers that the 3442 base is too small for the ballhead or perhaps the legs won't fold back over it? That's a pretty big tripod you're thinking of getting...

Everyone talks about having to "rebuy" tripods. This year my budget allows for one tripod, a couple vacations and maybe a medium format body if I find a stellar deal on one. In fact I'd rather spend a few hundred extra and be done with it than be left with a tripod that gets replaced (as everyone on here's got me afraid of). The 3442 is probably all I need. That being said I'm going to take the rest of the week to think it over. Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Mar 06, 2013 at 08:12 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.2 #11 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

The best advise is to buy quality and you'll be much happier with your purchase. I still have my 1st set of bogan legs and head that I bought in college 25 years ago. Also, you'll find yourself buying more of a specialized tripod depending on the job/task that you want to use it for. No one tripod will work for everyone for every situation. You mention travel several times and for my travel tripod, I have a set of Manfrotto carbon fiber legs 732CY and bought a Joby X head for it. The whole set-up weighs less than 3 lbs and is very compact. It doesn't go very tall, but that what I have my other setups for. I used it hiking in the carribean and it was very nice to have something that small yet sturdy. You might be better off getting something light and compact now for travel and then down the road get a taller/sturdier set up for general use.

Mar 06, 2013 at 09:48 PM
nma
• • •
p.2 #12 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

I did not mention but I have both the Acratech Ultimate and Photoclam 40 ball heads. The acratech is made way better than the photoclam but only the the photoclam allows the Feisol 3442 to fold back while the head is mounted. The photoclam is the one I use when traveling and it is pretty good. It will certainly work well up to a 70-200 mm lens. I also use it with my Canon 100-400 mm Zoom. With a strong wind (~30 mph) I can see movement using live view. Most of the time it works fine for the 100-400.

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:28 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #13 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

Johnny B Goode wrote:
The 3442 is probably all I need. That being said I'm going to take the rest of the week to think it over.

Very wise, there are trade-offs everywhere especially when you're buying a one-size-fits-all type of tripod. I use two; a light tripod for travel and a heavier systematic for around the city or using from a car.

One more suggestion for you to consider (or maybe not): Gitzo are selling off 2-series tripods that are being replaced by systematics. The 2531 model is selling for $469, the drawbacks are that it has a center column and a folded length of 25.6" which doesn't compare to the Feisol 3442's 18.9" folded length. The Feisol is lighter too and I think it's the better buy at the moment, but I just thought I'd throw this in there.

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Glenn NK
• •
p.2 #14 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

nma wrote:
I did not mention but I have both the Acratech Ultimate and Photoclam 40 ball heads. The acratech is made way better than the photoclam but only the the photoclam allows the Feisol 3442 to fold back while the head is mounted. The photoclam is the one I use when traveling and it is pretty good. It will certainly work well up to a 70-200 mm lens. I also use it with my Canon 100-400 mm Zoom. With a strong wind (~30 mph) I can see movement using live view. Most of the time it works fine for the 100-400.

Does this inability of the Acratech to fold back also apply to the GPS model?

I picked up my GP three weeks ago from the factory and spent about 3/4 hour with Scott (the founder and owner - who is a machinist by trade). He said they make the GPS model that has a smaller base which permits tripod legs to be folded back.

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=76&cat=1&page=1

In addition to using the GP as a levelling base, another feature I have used and like about it is that it can be used as a gimbal head for smaller lenses (I've used mine with a f/2.8 70-200 plus 2.0 extender with no problems).

Glenn

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:05 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #15 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

OP: Some user pictures of the Feisol 3442 & leveling base.

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:50 AM
nma
• • •
p.2 #16 · First Tripod and Head; looking for Feedback

Glenn NK,

If Scott thinks the GPS will work, I would take his word. The Ultimate, as in my ~ 5 year old model will NOT work. In making an assessment without actually trying, look for knobs set about 90 degrees apart. This will allow the legs of the tripod to fit in between.

Mar 08, 2013 at 03:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password