Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Strobe and Speedlight Setup

etchen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strobe and Speedlight Setup

Does anyone use 1 strobe and a speedlight as fill at the same time? ie, 1 strobe and softbox and a speedlight and softbox.

If so, how do you like it and do you find any color differences?

thx

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:04 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strobe and Speedlight Setup

Differences in color temperature would depend on which strobe, speedlight, and softboxes are being used. Particularly in the cases of the softboxes, different brands -- especially the less expensive ones -- can have color differences due to the fabric used for the diffusion panels.

For the strobes, some models will have significant color changes at different power levels, while others -- along with speedlights -- are more constant in color due to using full voltage that is time-quenched rather than variable voltage to control exposure levels.

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:40 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strobe and Speedlight Setup

Because of the variables mentioned by Brian, you may want to keep gels or other color-correcting materials on hand. The fill function is particularly noticeable when its color is out of whack versus the key. For rim, hair or b/g purposes, color imbalance is much less an issue - unless the application is particularly technical.

Mar 04, 2013 at 03:04 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strobe and Speedlight Setup

I have before, but only after gelling both lights to make sure they were the same temp.

Mar 04, 2013 at 03:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

etchen

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strobe and Speedlight Setup

okay, thanks guys for the input. guess I'll just test to see if it works out or not.
if not, I'll just use a reflector for fill light instead.

Mar 06, 2013 at 03:19 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strobe and Speedlight Setup

Gelling two different-colored lights with the same gel produces two gelled lights with different colors.

I've used speedlights with monolights on a number of occasions, including at weddings and in doing portraits. In portraits, I'm usually using the speedlight as a hair light or kicker, or possibly as a background light. I've never had a problem with noticeable color differences. I haven't tried using a monolight as key and the speedlight as fill (or vice versa), where a color difference might be more noticeable.

Mar 13, 2013 at 05:42 PM
ozpall
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strobe and Speedlight Setup

^^^ what he said

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:17 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strobe and Speedlight Setup

For me, I've done something "similar", and I've also mixed/matched brands of flashes and strobes.

The differences weren't enough for me to care, and I could get the color "close" enough. I'm not as picky as someone like Lee Varris (I think is how you spell it) who wrote Skin

If I'm mixing/matching, I just make sure to take a gray card reading from the final set up. Then again, I'm not entirely convinced my lastolite ez-balance is completely accurate either lol.

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:46 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password