p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Thor's Majesty

That is a super photo Majeed. Please be carful

Morris

Mar 04, 2013 at 07:53 PM
dgardner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Thor's Majesty

Does anyone know if there is a certain time optimal for tide?

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Heinz H
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Thor's Majesty

Truly excellent and amazing shot! Congratulations for this outstanding picture and congratulations for surviving it! This could have ended quite differently!

Heinz

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:01 AM
MajeedB
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Thor's Majesty

Thanks so much everyone.

It's a fun experience, but the danger is very real. I talked to some locals when I was at this location on a different shoot. They said the Cape Perpetua visitor center had reports of a lot of injuries around this area.

So some words of caution after visiting this area probably 5 times in widely varying conditions: It's important to know the tide schedule, the surf forecast and to keep your eyes on the ocean at all times.

There's not a whole lot you can do if a sneaker wave does comes in, as I experienced. But I always try to make sure I know these things before this type of shoot.

Again, thanks everyone. FM has an extremely high quality of community and content, so I try to only share my best here.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:18 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Thor's Majesty

B E A U T I F U L capture Majeed and absolutely worth your brave effort. Excellent work.

Kirk

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:02 AM
Jglaser757
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Thor's Majesty

what was the focal length? How close to the edge were you? Did you happen to check the tide tables and whether or not it was going to be higher than normal?

thanks

Jon

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:27 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Thor's Majesty

This is truly a wonderful capture, great colors and good selection for shutterspeed.
Douglas

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:48 AM
SteveF
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Thor's Majesty

Boy that's the image - nice stuff.

Next trip there I'm taking the quad copter.

Mar 05, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Thor's Majesty

The location is not called Thors Well (a photo of it was) but it is an outstanding image!

Mar 05, 2013 at 10:40 PM
MajeedB
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Thor's Majesty

Sorry for the delay in responding. I edited the shot with just a touch of NR (at larger sizes the noise was bothering me a bit). Ordered a 24x36 canvas and it's on the way. Can't wait to see it!

dgardner wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a certain time optimal for tide?

Medium to high tide is best to see the well. I've been there at low tide and the well was entirely inactive. You'll see the full effect of the water drainage with rough surf and big waves.

Jglaser757 wrote:
I plan on taking this shot in August during my visit to the coast there...I wont tell my friends about your problems because I really want the shot...And, Im not afraid of a little water..how is the path down to the edge there?

It's a gentle stroll, really. The rocks are a bit rugged, but nothing an outdoor photographer can't handle .

Jglaser757 wrote:
what was the focal length? How close to the edge were you? Did you happen to check the tide tables and whether or not it was going to be higher than normal?

thanks

Jon

Thanks for the questions, Jon. I always check tide and surf forecasts prior to a shoot and encourage others who plan on visiting dangerous locations to be aware of them as well.

High tide was +6.7ft at around 2:50p, if I recall correctly. This shot was taken 3 hours after high tide, so I knew the tide was going out. It was an overcast type of day. The surf was big this day. That was key to the wave action and the reason I ultimately took a hit. Focal length was 19mm.

Mark Metternich wrote:
The location is not called Thors Well (a photo of it was) but it is an outstanding image!

I think most photographers call it Thor's Well. If it isn't called that, what is the actual name for this specific location?

Mar 06, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Thor's Majesty

Cape Perpetua is where this is located obviously. I think Thors Well and Spouting Horn get mixed up.

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:38 AM
yosemitehiker
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Thor's Majesty

Great Picture

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:48 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Thor's Majesty

nice shot!

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:11 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Thor's Majesty

MajeedB wrote:
Sorry for the delay in responding. I edited the shot with just a touch of NR (at larger sizes the noise was bothering me a bit). Ordered a 24x36 canvas and it's on the way. Can't wait to see it!

Medium to high tide is best to see the well. I've been there at low tide and the well was entirely inactive. You'll see the full effect of the water drainage with rough surf and big waves.

It's a gentle stroll, really. The rocks are a bit rugged, but nothing an outdoor photographer can't handle .

Thanks for the questions, Jon.
...Show more

Thanks for the info,,I will definitely be there after high tide...I think its predicted at around 4 pm that day but it was up to 7 -8,,I think sunset will be at least 7;30 in August,,so I'm good to go I believe.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Thor's Majesty

Stunning shot. WOW.

Mar 07, 2013 at 05:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.