New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · D3s focus issues

Jonathan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D3s focus issues

Brandon, What is the seller saying? If he's avoiding you, that tells it all. There's no way a camera would go from "works like a charm" to needing the maine board replaced right when you got it. The problem had to be there. My D3s would outfocus my D700 by a longshot(the reason I sold the D700). It was literally instant focus.

You can also edit that great feedback you left him to red. IMHO he has it coming.

I'd be curious what the cost of the repair turns out to be.

Good luck to you!

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:52 PM
eephoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D3s focus issues

trenchmonkey wrote:
^ This! Clean the AF sensor module slits should be common knowledge using this level of gear

Did you try cleaning the sensor at all? Although the center focal point coming in and out does sound like an issue with the mainboard. I've bought all my equipment used and this is my biggest fear. I definitely would do whatever it takes to get in touch with the seller and if he/she isn't responding, make sure he/she isn't putting anything else for sale on here until it gets sorted out. Good luck, I hope it works out for you in the least expensive way.

The D3s is really a thing of beauty and with the amount of $$ you spent on it, you should be able to appreciate it, I hope you do soon.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D3s focus issues

He has basically told me I should have taken care of it when I first noticed it instead of taking a few steps on my end to eliminate any basic issues. He says it is his word against mine and he won't do anything about it. A issue like this doesn't just happen it shipping either since it was overnighted. He knew about it and I messed up by waiting to long to file a paypal claim according to him.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM
essphoto
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D3s focus issues

Since it's obvious from looking at feedback who the seller is (ie me), I'm compelled to state my position here as well. I feel a bit odd doing this, but I was not the one to decide to take this public... and after all, it's my reputation on the line.

Here are the facts of the story I feel are being missed, given the comments I've seen so far.

First, there is a misconception being tossed around that I've been incommunicado or "avoiding" the buyer. That's simply not true. The buyer claimed on May 8 that I hadn't replied to his PM on the forums, and while that was true at the time, I did respond the following day on May 9. Since then, I have been in contact with the buyer and sent five followup messages, including one today.

Secondly, the suggestion that I tried to pull a fast one by unloading bad equipment is baseless and in fact contrary to common sense. I pay for extended camera insurance on all of my gear through Hill & Usher. If the D3S needed repair from any type of damage, I would have been able to cover it with relative ease. I have no incentive to unload broken equipment to anyone.

Thirdly, for people reading this, it is important to keep in mind that I overnighted the camera to the buyer on Janurary 21. To repeat, Janurary 21. On February 2, the buyer posted feedback for me stating "Bought my D3s and it was exactly as described. He was very patient with me while I worked out PayPal issues. Wonderful seller!" Then, approximately two months later, the seller sends me the following message: "Hey the first time I used the D3s it was acting very weird and really slow to respond. I thought it was just settings that were weird. Turns out the mainboard needs to be replaced."

When considering his claims, I cannot help but to bear this inconsistency in mind. In any case, I replied to the buyer's message, telling him that if the camera was experiencing any issues when it was in my possession, then I would have told him about them from the outset. "Acting very weird" would be a very noticeable issue, and it's not likely I (or he) would have missed it back then. I also said that it was his responsibility to check the camera to his satisfaction when he received it. If at that time he was dissatisfied with how it was performing, I would have accepted it back or worked out some sort of deal for its repair. The buyer responded to this stating "It was not working right from the start but I thought maybe it needed to be cleaned and calibrated for a tuneup [no mention of what this tuneup consisted of...]. I highly doubt it got damaged in shipping and it wasn't damaged in my care. It may not have been noticeable to you but it was clearly not working right when I got it. [however, in the post above, he now refers to these as "basic issues"...]." To this, I told him that if it were me, and if there was a problem with the camera I just bought that warranted over a month of service (quite a long "tuneup"), I would have definitely told the seller about it. This seems so commonsensical that it makes me skeptical of his claims.

Lastly, the buyer falsely stated that "He knew about it [the issues with the camera] and I messed up by waiting too long to file a paypal claim according to him." In fact, in none of our correspondences did the PayPal claim ever arise. I never taunted him by saying he waited too long to file a claim or anything remotely of the sort. I'm disappointed the buyer is making false allegations like this.

Since I wish to believe the buyer is an upfront and honest person, I think the camera may have been damaged either during the servicing he described or in use, perhaps accidentally. However, as the seller in this instance I do not feel comfortable accepting responsibility given the circumstances. I do hope that this clears things up and sheds light on the situation from my perspective.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D3s focus issues

If I was trying to scam you out of a camera I wouldn't have come on here asking people for help on what I can do to make it work properly. I went through every channel to get it troubleshot before I made a fuss with you. If I would have said anything I would have been told to have it looked at first by any shipping company if we went after a claim or anything like that. Every shipping company will make you send it in and have the item looked at and an estimate made on the repair before they will even do anything.

I travel all over the country and I am away from home most of the time. I got the camera and opened it up and saw that it was in great condition and put it back in the box because I was going out of town. I forgot to leave you feedback on it and didn't want to forget any longer so I posted up saying it was in great condition because it was in great condition. You did work with me while I was having Paypal problems so I thanked you for that. I just hadn't fully shot it to test it out completely before I gave feedback. My bad for assuming it was going to work. Like I said it was my fault for waiting to long get with you as I wanted to troubleshoot it first before I came to you with the problem.

First concert I shot with it and it performed horribly and I missed a ton of shots. My D700 was used the rest of the show because the D3s couldn't focus. I thought maybe the lenses needed to be calibrated and then when that didn't work I sent it in to the shop and well you know how long Nikon takes to get back with you or fix anything. I came on here to help troubleshoot it and not to call you out or I would have listed you as the seller right off the bat saying you are scamming me. I just wanted the camera to work and was hoping the forums could help.

The shipping box was in perfect condition on arrival so I doubt anything happened during because after all you packed it well right? I have shipped a ton of things and bought a ton of things on here and having internal electronics on a camera get damaged while the box is in perfect shaped doesn't ever happen to me.

In your own words you said it was your word against mine when I claimed the camera was bad. I told you already through PM that I am over it and not arguing about it with you anymore. I am getting it fixed and going to enjoy it how it should have been when I got it. Nikon still has it and I am waiting for it to be shipped back. None of this stuff is a quick overnight troubleshoot and fix deal. My authorized Nikon shop down here is very busy and things take time.

P.S. It wasn't 2 months later that I mentioned it to you as it has barely even been 2 months since you shipped it. It was a little under month and I already described why it took so long to do so.

Fred feel free to delete this if you want because it really does boil down to a he said she said problem. I am not going to post anymore about it and just going to enjoy using it when it is fixed.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D3s focus issues

Frustrating for both parties! Sorry this had to happen.

I once sold a pro camera body to fm buyer and 5 weeks later he contacted me telling me the camera wasn't working right. A somewhat similar situation as to this one. I made a post to seek advice as to what I should do and everyone said the buyer had waited to long to contact me. Basically, a reasonable amount of time had passed and it was not my responsibility any longer. I had to agree.

Another time I sold a pro body and it worked perfect the day I shipped it. The buyer received it and everything was good. Four days later he contacted me saying something was wrong. I was suspicious as I know when I shipped it it worked perfect. Anyhow, I let he return it for a full refund and I sent it in to be checked and fixed. I later sold it.

TODAY, whenever I sell something I give the buyer 2 days to check it out and make sure everything works as described. If there is a problem I will gladly take it back and give a full refund. But if more than two days goes by and the buyer hasn't contact me then I feel no responsibility on my part. It goes both ways. When I buy something I expect to be able to return it if it is not as described and/or it isn't working right. But if it has a problem days and weeks later then I do not feel the seller is responsible and this is the risk one takes when buying used.

Always test and check out the purchased equipment ASAP.

Grant

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:19 AM
KibblesNbitz
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D3s focus issues

You should have bought my D3s instead! Really though, that sucks, sorry to hear man...

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:16 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D3s focus issues

P.S. It wasn't 2 months later that I mentioned it to you as it has barely even been 2 months since you shipped it. It was a little under month and I already described why it took so long to do so.
THIS?! from a guy with 2 POOR feedbacks Karma's a bitch. Just sayin'

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D3s focus issues

Trenchmonkey do you chime in on every thread there is and annoy people? Can't wait to see your Karma bite you with all the people on here who dislike you. You really think this is Karma getting me for two bad feedbacks from like 5 years ago? You're dumber than you look.

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Brandon Mizar
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D3s focus issues

So you PM me calling a Jewish racial slur Trenchmonkey? I see what kind of person you are now and it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:20 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.