Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2013 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

SteveF
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Ernie Aubert wrote:
But why should you care if someone wants to buy a 1D X and in your opinion they don't need it? Perhaps you do some things others wouldn't do... so what?

+1

Cameras, cars, gods, watches - you name it. People have some brain stem level need to have others agree with their views.

Unbelievably timing - a woman just came to my door to tell me about jesus. That was incredible!

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Bones74
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

SteveF wrote:
+1

Cameras, cars, gods, watches - you name it. People have some brain stem level need to have others agree with their views.

Unbelievably timing - a woman just came to my door to tell me about jesus. That was incredible!

Oh I get it now, you're saying that only those who advocate the OP buy a 1DX should contribute to the thread... How did I get it so wrong , no one is telling the OP what do God wise, watch wise or camera wise, we're just debating the merits of buying a 1DX when he already has a 5D3. Wasn't that the point of him starting the thread? If he finally decides to buy a 1DX all power to him, I'm sure he'd really enjoy it and share some of his images with us.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:30 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

I don't think the 1dx would fit Jesus' style. He's a bit low key. Now Moses would definitely sport at least two 1dx's. After all he did carry those mega tablets from the mountain.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:52 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

To the OP-

I got a 1DX in addition to 5D3 this past fall. I used both for wildlife shooting almost exclusively. While the 1DX was undoubtedly the most lust-worthy camera that I have ever used, I ended up selling it a few months later. My reasoning for doing so was simple. Even after I got the 1DX, I used the 5D3 70-80% of the time because it was lighter, batteries lasted long enough for me, silent shutter enabled me to take hundreds of shots of eagles and hawks without them even knowing I was there, AF never caused me to miss a shot that I wouldn't have missed with 1DX as well (read: user error), I don't pixel peep so small differences in DR or noise patterns aren't a concern, and finally, selling 1DX put $6k back in my pocket

A couple of things about the 1DX that I miss are the 12FPS (although 6FPS is good enough for me most of the time), mode buttons vs. dial, and greater customizability of the camera compared to the 5D3.

It's been said before- the 5D3 is about 80% of the 1DX at half the price. That's as good of a synopsis as I've seen or heard. That said, others photographers will need that last extra bit of performance or features and for them, the 1DX is the best choice out there. For me, it was what I wanted, but not what I needed.

Mar 04, 2013 at 03:51 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

M Lucca wrote:
I don't think the 1dx would fit Jesus' style. He's a bit low key. Now Moses would definitely sport at least two 1dx's. After all he did carry those mega tablets from the mountain.

I heard Apple is going to sue Moses over the use of the word tablet. They are going to clone him and then get Judge Lucy Koh to lay the smack down on him. By the time their finished he won't even be able to afford a box brownie.

Edited on Mar 04, 2013 at 05:25 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:50 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:57 PM
kouasupra1
• •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

mitesh wrote:
It's been said before- the 5D3 is about 80% of the 1DX at half the price. That's as good of a synopsis as I've seen or heard. That said, others photographers will need that last extra bit of performance or features and for them, the 1DX is the best choice out there. For me, it was what I wanted, but not what I needed.

For me, the 5D3 does probably more then what I use it for. Maybe the 1Dx is too much in terms of features, but who said that a little too much isn't good for you. .

Mar 04, 2013 at 06:43 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

kouasupra1 wrote:
For me, the 5D3 does probably more then what I use it for. Maybe the 1Dx is too much in terms of features, but who said that a little too much isn't good for you. .

You only live once, so I say "go for it!"

Mar 04, 2013 at 07:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

mitesh wrote:
...- the 5D3 is about 80% of the 1DX at half the price.

From the fps point of view, the 5DIII is about 50% of the 1DX at half the price.

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:01 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

jcolwell wrote:
From the fps point of view, the 5DIII is about 50% of the 1DX at half the price.

There you go again, Jim... always gotta be a smart arse, dontcha??

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

mitesh wrote:
There you go again, Jim... always gotta be a smart arse, dontcha??

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a smart ass. How is what I said wrong?

The 5DIII has 6 fps and the 1DX has 12 fps (or 14 fps with manual focus).

Edited on Mar 04, 2013 at 08:42 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:35 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

It was a joke, Jim- I am never one to take anything too seriously- especially a Canadian

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

mitesh wrote:
It was a joke, Jim- I am never one to take anything too seriously- especially a Canadian

We celebrated the bicentennial of the War of 1812 last year...

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:42 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

jcolwell wrote:

The math is right, however, I think it is usually hackers and posers who constantly fire at 12 FPS, while smart/experienced folks shoot at 6-8 FPS as their usual high rate . Why ? Because a lower frame rate is often more effective, and allows one to see, think and correct better.

No doubt, there are times when 12 FPS could, or even should be used. However, when I see some head-to-toe camo'ed expert holds fire at 12 FPS onto a sedentary swim-drifting duck, their incessant camera prattle makes me nervous. That's like when I am driving on a busy road, and my passenger wife keeps screaming: "watch that car", " stop now", "it's read light" etc.

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:47 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

kouasupra1 wrote:

It's like my car's horsepower. Too much is a good starting point.

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

kouasupra1 wrote:

Yes the 5D3 is about 80% of the 1DX at half the price.
But the the 6D is about 80% of the 5D3 also......so why don't the 5D3 owners buy that one

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:24 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Yes the 5D3 is about 80% of the 1DX at half the price.
But the the 6D is about 80% of the 5D3 also......so why don't the 5D3 owners buy that one

It is entirely possible that some may have done just that. However, the OP hasn't asked about 6D in this thread.

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:31 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

mitesh wrote:
It is entirely possible that some may have done just that. However, the OP hasn't asked about 6D in this thread.

He didn't asked the 5D3 owners that not upgraded to the 1DX either But they still have a lot of opinions............

Mar 05, 2013 at 08:53 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Sven Jeppesen wrote:

And the 5D2 is about 90% of the 6D, so why don't people buy that?

Oh, and the 60D is 80% of the 5D2...

No hold on, the 550D is 95% of the 60D.

No wait, the 1100D is 84.6% of the 550D.

Is that right? No? Oh the 220HS is 87% of the 1100D?

Okay, screw the 1DX - get the 220HS.

Mar 05, 2013 at 09:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

I splurged and bought a 310 HS.

Mar 05, 2013 at 09:13 AM
       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.