Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2013 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

kouasupra1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

I change the topic title. It's more interesting that way and also allows folks who have upgraded from other cameras to the 1Dx. Please share your experience with us and myself.

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:11 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

PetKal wrote:
I have 1DX, and no 5DMkIII.
I am bitter about not buying 5DMkIII instead.
I am also bitter about my early career choice.....in retrospect, I should have gone for a job in the Canadian Senate (as a Senator, that is ).

Peter you could make great shot's with a modified pencil There's still time for your political career. I'd vote for you... maybe...

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:12 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones74 wrote:
All I'm saying that maybe some people need to give thought to whether they could save a bit of money and buy a 5D3 instead of a 1DX.

+1

Seriously, 1DX high ISO capability has been a very major benefit to me. However, 5DMkIII would have probably offered a similar benefit for 1/2 price. Granted, there are obviously a few other smaller improvements 1DX has compared to 5DMkIII, but none of them are vital for my photography, except perhaps spot metering tied to the active AF point, not even 12FPS, although on a couple of occasions that has been useful too.

Edited on Mar 03, 2013 at 06:22 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:18 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones74 wrote:
Peter you could make great shot's with a modified pencil There's still time for your political career. I'd vote for you... maybe...

Thank you Stu, you are too kind, but the Senatorial jobs in Canada are filled by government appointments, thus nobody votes for them.

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:21 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones74 wrote:
I'm not saying the 5D3 is the equal of the 1DX, but it's enough camera to take care of just about shooting situation bar those where the added speed is required. That is all

But you are ignoring forum rules that dictate that, when you buy a new camera or lens, you are required to recommend that all others buy that same camera or lens without any consideration whatever as to whether the type of photography and the needs of those others are best met by that camera or lens. And, the more expensive the camera or lens is, the more you are required to follow this rule.
The corollary to this rule is that, if anyone else makes a recommendation that differs from yours, you are required to be dismissive and condescending with regard to their suggestions.

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

PetKal wrote:
Seriously, 1DX high ISO capability has been a very major benefit to me. However, 5DMkIII would have probably offered a similar benefit for 1/2 price. Granted, there are obviously a few other smaller improvements 1DX has compared to 5DMkIII, but none of them are vital for my photography, except perhaps spot metering tied to the ective AF point, not even 12FPS, although on a couple of occasions that has been useful too.

I use spot metering linked to AF point fairly often on my 1Dmk4, so I'd concede that to some that is important. However, the 5D3 does have the (slower) workaround of exposure lock. I don't mean to offend the folks who have bought a 1DX because it's a superb piece of kit, all I've tried to do debate the NEED vs WANT "theory". Some of the reasons listed are really not that important in day to day image making.

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

PetKal wrote:
Thank you Stu, you are too kind, but the Senatorial jobs in Canada are filled by government appointments, thus nobody votes for them.

That is uncouth! Revolution I say

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

uz2work wrote:
But you are ignoring forum rules that dictate that, when you buy a new camera or lens, you are required to recommend that all others buy that same camera or lens without any consideration whatever as to whether the type of photography and the needs of those others are best met by that camera or lens. And, the more expensive the camera or lens is, the more you are required to follow this rule.
The corollary to this rule is that, if anyone else makes a recommendation that differs from yours, you are required to be dismissive and condescending with
...Show more

Well, I often read with disbelief (and some amusement too) what some "experts" write about their new lenses or cameras. Thankfully, I do not take much of that seriously, but unfortunately there is the internet echo effect where those who are not "initiated", read and accept that stuff, and then propagate it almost in a viral manner.

I love this one: " 1DX auto focus is so brilliant that sometimes I think the camera reads my mind as to what to focus on." I think that person was just very excited about getting their new 1DX, that's all.

Edited on Mar 03, 2013 at 06:44 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:37 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

uz2work wrote:
The corollary to this rule is that, if anyone else makes a recommendation that differs from yours, you are required to be dismissive and condescending with
...Show more

I humbly apologize for my ignorance Sir Debate is good, I'm sure the OP has a lot to think about. If you take the 1DX in isolation, it is a world beater, for the type of photography that it is designed for. The 1DX can do everything the 5D3 can do at double the price, apart from the excellent silent shutter, small form factor/lighter weight and the extra 4mp. However for almost all situations (apart from where the extra speed is required) the cheaper 5D3 will do. That's my point. G'nite all

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones, do you suppose that those who buy a 1DX don't give serious thought to those considerations beforehand?

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:47 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

There's no need to get Peter into Gov, he's already a most excellent 'Ambassador' for photography

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:59 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Thank you, Jerry, I am trying to help younger photographers with no-nonsense educational posts.
BTW, I am afraid my lens(e) might be developing fungus.

Edited on Mar 04, 2013 at 08:57 AM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2013 at 07:51 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

What an odd somewhat regular fungal infection, clearly a pentagonalized alien species, it may have been introduced into the environment by an unknowing Nikonian robot or some other planetary vermin...I could be completely delusional tho

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:02 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Shot with 1DX to boot.

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:04 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

I've a bit of software, closet painter here; not very good either, that lets me apply patterns to an image; Corel Painter. Your image looks much like one of the 'mosic' patterns available, hope that isn't an SOOC image; jpeg, if so that's quite the binary hiccup

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:25 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

PetKal wrote:

Shot with 1DX to boot.

It looks serious, and if it is fungus then the likely hood is high it has infected your 1DX.

The good news it is repairable, but you need to send the camera and lens to a place that has areas of dryness and sunshine.

This time of year Canada just doesn't have any of those places.

The good news is there are a few super dry areas located in California. Death Valley and Joshua Tree National Park to name a couple of places that would fix the problem.

I strongly suggest you send it to someone in California so they can take it out to the desert areas and use them until all the fungus is gone.

Mar 03, 2013 at 08:46 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

StillFingerz wrote:
I've a bit of software, closet painter here; not very good either, that lets me apply patterns to an image; Corel Painter. Your image looks much like one of the 'mosic' patterns available, hope that isn't an SOOC image; jpeg, if so that's quite the binary hiccup

Jerry, you know that I never touch Photoshop. It is an SOOC JPG.

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:01 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

burningheart wrote:
I strongly suggest you send it to someone in California so they can take it out to the desert areas and use them until all the fungus is gone.

I guess my 1DX + 800L need to go to Jerry in Ca for sunning therapy.

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:03 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

burningheart wrote:
It looks serious, and if it is fungus then the likely hood is high it has infected your 1DX.

The good news it is repairable, but you need to send the camera and lens to a place that has areas of dryness and sunshine.

This time of year Canada just doesn't have any of those places.

The good news is there are a few super dry areas located in California. Death Valley and Joshua Tree National Park to name a couple of places that would fix the problem.

I strongly suggest you send it to someone in California so they can take it out
...Show more

Raises hand, volunteers for fungus removal, sitting/waiting duties are a speshul talent, no shooting just admiring would occur, SoCal sun is a wonderful thang and I would refrain from said gears having any uneccessary exposure to scantly clad pijuns n salty air, dry desert air it would be

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:04 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

PetKal wrote:
Jerry, you know that I never touch Photoshop. It is an SOOC JPG.

Perhaps one or two of those 11 batt volts misbehaved...if that's SOOC, was it the only image or is it consistently creating that pattern...yikes

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:08 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.