Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Adding image to the edge....

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Adding image to the edge....

In another thread I was asked for a little tutorial on how to add to the edge of an image to simulate a more generous crop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgsUcrOU6tA

Mar 02, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Adding image to the edge....

She speaks!

Nice - learned I've been doing this the hard way all along.

Thanks - plan on doing a series? This series goes back for two years! And you never told us?

Bob

Viewing video dunes - when you darken with the exposure layer, why do you raise the gamma rather than reducing exposure? Is there a parallel for LR?

When brightening (dune video), why increase exposure rather than lower gamma?

I never have understood gamma, which I know you adjust often.

Edited on Mar 02, 2013 at 09:06 PM · View previous versions

Mar 02, 2013 at 08:53 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Adding image to the edge....

I believe they were all created and posted here in response to requests, but I admit I've not done anything to be orderly about them.

Mar 02, 2013 at 08:58 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Adding image to the edge....

AuntiPode wrote:
I believe they were all created and posted here in response to requests, but I admit I've not done anything to be orderly about them.

My loss - questions in edit for my first comment

Mar 02, 2013 at 09:07 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Adding image to the edge....

Take an image and try reducing exposure and compare the effect to bumping up the gamma. Lowering the exposure seems to make it look more dull, while bumping the gamma seems to make a crisper darkening. I suppose the technical reason is something about contrast change difference between the too methods with gamma raising and lowering contrast as well as darkening and lightening. When I want something brighter, I usually like the effect of raising the exposure. When I want something darker with increased contrast, I prefer to bump the gamma. Bottom line is I don't feel the need to intellectually understand how gamma works. I just try different ways until I develop an intuition about what the controls visually do and work from there. Occasionally I experiment when I'm unsure. It's quick and easy to undo if I don't like the effect. More play time!

Mar 02, 2013 at 10:05 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password