Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       end
  

Archive 2013 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...
  
 
TRReichman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


I look like a badass with a Hello Kitty camera, what's wrong with you guys?

- trr



Mar 03, 2013 at 07:41 PM
TTLKurtis
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


canerino wrote:
I dont think so.

A photographer who is in command/confident/sharp could wear a point and shoot around their neck. I really feel like so much is made about smaller cameras being more discreet. My experience is that the size of the camera used is a really small part of the equation. OWN whatever camera you are toting and you'll be fine.


Is that what most people like about the Leica etc. is the discreet factor, or is it the fact that it's a much smaller thing to have to carry around all day? I mean, it's certainly more discreet than a 70-200 in your face, but yeah, I think the more important thing is feeling comfortable yourself with whatever you're using.



Mar 03, 2013 at 07:55 PM
TRReichman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


We got a lot of attention shooting with a Leica from old men, so it sort of had the opposite effect we were looking for.

My wife for one likes to have big cameras and thinks it makes a difference. She only uses pro-level, gripped bodies and big lenses. I'd be happy with a d600 and 24-120.

- trr



Mar 03, 2013 at 08:11 PM
TTLKurtis
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


Well sure, old men and geeks will ask you what camera you're using with a Leica. But you can always throw on a little gaffers tape to make it look like an old beat of thing or paint over the red circle if that bugs you. I second-shot with a local the Friday before last and he was using a Leica and I didn't see one person ask him about it. He also had a couple of D4s strapped to him, so that may be relevant.

I have to say if it wasn't for the file quality, I'd be all over the Leica stuff just for the fact that I could have such a small kit by comparison to what I have now. And it doesn't get much easier than that to focus stationary subjects manually.



Mar 03, 2013 at 08:16 PM
flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


D. Diggler wrote:
You're not concerned about the switch to CMOS?


I haven't ordered a type 240 yet. I'm perfectly happy with my M9's. Last year was stressful, personally and financially, so I didn't have the funds at the time of announcement. Plus here in Oz a pre order doesn't always mean you'll get it early anyway. Our season ends in a couple of months. I'll revisit it then.

Even when I do order one I'll probably keep one M9 body for the "look". That is if there is any significant differences. Reports are indicating that the custom sensor looks somewhere inbetween the currrent M9 sensor and a Sony sensor. I've downloaded some DNG files but honestly haven't got around to playing with them yet. So far though, they're not just another Canikon clone. It looks like the use of a custom built sensor may pay off.

Gordon



Mar 03, 2013 at 09:14 PM
brett maxwell
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


One feature that the mirrorless cameras likely won't compete with for at least a few years is having dual memory cards. Yeah, I shot my first few years of weddings with single card cameras, and never had a major problem, but I never want to go back to that.


Mar 03, 2013 at 09:23 PM
flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


TTLKurtis wrote:
Is that what most people like about the Leica etc. is the discreet factor, or is it the fact that it's a much smaller thing to have to carry around all day? I mean, it's certainly more discreet than a 70-200 in your face, but yeah, I think the more important thing is feeling comfortable yourself with whatever you're using.


It's a bit of both of those. Plus I wanted a way of differentiating myself from the dozens of Canon and Nikon wedding photographers in my area. But the main reason I use the Leica's is that I like shooting with them. I like rangefinders. I like tactile mechanical cameras and I like small cameras and lenses. I could have shot with my old Canon kit for the next 20 years but since I was manually focusing my 50L anyway (my most used lens) I decided to swap out to a system I enjoy shooting with. I was concerned with perception as well but decided to chance it. It's really been a non issue for the way I work and the clients I shoot for. I'm even using it for commercial work now when I can.

Gordon



Mar 03, 2013 at 09:32 PM
flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


hardlyboring wrote:
Gordon
I am on a few lists and have been for a while now. Dale photo, BH, Amazon.... their first shipments were 1 camera.
I was told by Dale photo that it could be over a year until I would get the 240. BH was a little more optimistic at 6 months but by that time half my weddings will be over.
I really do not want to buy an M9 ... chances are if I do not get the M240 in a few months I will just abandon the idea and wait till next year. No sense in making bad
...Show more

i hope you get it early. It does look better organised than the M9 and shipments are actually a bit earlier than expected, which is a good sign. I have heard stories of people ringing the smaller dealers rather than the larger ones with some success. I imagine the waiting list at B&H is hundreds. A small dealer may only have one or two waiting and Leica don't distribute based on the size of the store like Canon does.

I like my M9, a lot. But I'd wait too.

Gordon



Mar 03, 2013 at 09:37 PM
flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


hardlyboring wrote:
Gordon
I am on a few lists and have been for a while now. Dale photo, BH, Amazon.... their first shipments were 1 camera.
I was told by Dale photo that it could be over a year until I would get the 240. BH was a little more optimistic at 6 months but by that time half my weddings will be over.
I really do not want to buy an M9 ... chances are if I do not get the M240 in a few months I will just abandon the idea and wait till next year. No sense in making bad
...Show more

i hope you get it early. It does look better organised than the M9 and shipments are actually a bit earlier than expected, which is a good sign. I have heard stories of people ringing the smaller dealers rather than the larger ones with some success. I imagine the waiting list at B&H is hundreds. A small dealer may only have one or two waiting and Leica don't distribute based on the size of the store like Canon does.

I like my M9, a lot. But I'd wait too.

Gordon



Mar 03, 2013 at 09:49 PM
hardlyboring
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


Gordon
I have been trying a few different dealers but all seem pretty hush hush about it. The problem with smaller dealers is that they do not do financing. B&H has the Bill Me Later option which is nice because I can order it and then have time to sell off my gear to pay for it. Even if someone had the camera today I would not have enough change to pick it up because I have not sold my other stuff yet.



Mar 04, 2013 at 01:49 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



joshua grasso
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


I look like a badass with a Hello Kitty camera, what's wrong with you guys? - trr
lol I bet you still get great shots todd. Reminds me of a digital rev video with chase jarvis shooting with a lego camera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX76k-chflo He got some good stuff considering.

My 2 cents is while I totally agree rocking with what you have is most important. If they judge what you are shooting with it won't matter if your prints are killer, However I'd rather go with the fancy looking stuff because image is extremely important in this line of work. It's a big part of why people want you to take pictures when mom with a rebel could take them for free.



Mar 04, 2013 at 02:13 AM
Swaggart
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


I use a Nex7 with a leather wrap around it that I made myself, and I use it with Rangefinder and Leica lenses and it actually works in my favor on every shoot I use it on. My clients are like "whoa what kind of camera is that? Is it vintage?" And it always creates a conversation. In my experience, people have been more concerned with style rather than size, it's like if I'm using vintage then I know some secret or something that other people don't which cracks me up! Mainly it's the 60's-70's era lenses I use on the Nex that gets people going...And the leather wrap makes the camera look completely different than any modern camera.


Mar 04, 2013 at 03:29 AM
flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


, However I'd rather go with the fancy looking stuff because image is extremely important in this line of work. It's a big part of why people want you to take pictures when mom with a rebel could take them for free.

I don't know if I agree with that. Without meaning to be rude I think carrying a large camera because of client perception says more about the way we see ourselves than how the clients see us. Clients just look at the end product and our attitudes, not our gear. They assume if I grab Mum's rebel I'll get better shots than they will. I book either through referral, receptions and google. Those who book me through Google have no idea what cameras I use until I tell them and those who are referrals or have seen us at receptions already know what cameras we use, because the've been in a bridal partyy we've shot or at a reception where we've run riot. We book well over 50% through referrals and receptions so using small cameras certainly hasn't hurt us.

gordon



Mar 04, 2013 at 06:22 AM
flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


Swaggart wrote:
I use a Nex7 with a leather wrap around it that I made myself, and I use it with Rangefinder and Leica lenses and it actually works in my favor on every shoot I use it on. My clients are like "whoa what kind of camera is that? Is it vintage?" And it always creates a conversation. In my experience, people have been more concerned with style rather than size, it's like if I'm using vintage then I know some secret or something that other people don't which cracks me up! Mainly it's the 60's-70's era lenses I use on
...Show more

That's a great point. Anything that creates a conversation is a good thing. Raport is essential. I suppose that a Canikon and 70-200 2.8 could actually be intimidating to some clients versus a NEX or EM5. Then again my shooting partner always gets some geek asking how far his lens can see.....

Gordon



Mar 04, 2013 at 06:27 AM
RichardLavigne
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


I think that more than anything... it really comes down to the type of clients you want to attract. There are some clients that are going to care about or judge you on the camera you carry... they are concerned with perception and looking the part. There are also clients that won't care.. clients that believe in the substance and will trust that you're using the right tool because you're a professional, regardless of size.

In terms of being hired for "gear"... I see that several have said that you're hired long before a couple sees the gear and that is true, but I think you're forgetting the fact that your next batch of clients is seeing you at that wedding. Obviously, that doesn't work for everyone, though. I know that Todd has publicly stated on a number of occasions that the friends of his clients don't always have the same tastes as his clients, so he's not really interested in impressing his client's friends... and that is fine. In my experience, though, our client's friends usually are pretty closely aligned with our clients and therefore we do want to impress them.... that being said, I don't think our clients care about the camera. I do, however, think there are some photographers here on this board (not gonna name names) who's work attracts people that are very into themselves.... they like nice things, high end things, expensive things... they buy these things not entirely for quality of them but for the statement it says about them to other people. I think that if you have these type of clients and they are your bread and butter, then you better have the right gear, especially if their friends are the same way and that's who you want to impress.



Mar 04, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Beni
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


brett maxwell wrote:
One feature that the mirrorless cameras likely won't compete with for at least a few years is having dual memory cards. Yeah, I shot my first few years of weddings with single card cameras, and never had a major problem, but I never want to go back to that.


I have to be honest that this far more than size should be on a wedding tog's worry list. Especially now that you can get dual cards without having to buy into the manufacturers top pro body line.



Mar 04, 2013 at 12:48 PM
TheGE
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


asparkes wrote:
My wife and I were have a conversation about this today. She is concerned that perhaps, these smaller cameras don't look professional enough to be using on job, at least not without presence of say my 5DIII. What do you think of this?


I think you shouldn't discuss matters about your art with your wife.

For the record, I used to take a toy camera out at weddings sometimes. And a wife too. Friends and spouses come and go but your art is about you and that's forever.



Mar 04, 2013 at 09:47 PM
joshua grasso
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


I don't know if I agree with that. Without meaning to be rude I think carrying a large camera because of client perception says more about the way we see ourselves than how the clients see us. Clients just look at the end product and our attitudes, not our gear. They assume if I grab Mum's rebel I'll get better shots than they will. I book either through referral, receptions and google. Those who book me through Google have no idea what cameras I use until I tell them and those who are referrals or have seen us at receptions already...Show more

I agree actually. I guess I overstate gear in my argument as personally I don't think it matters much.If you can get the shot with whatever you can than your good to go. But I do think image in general is a big part of being in the photography business. Jasmin star is a good photographer but 80 of her cache is about image. You see more pics of her on her site than her work.



Mar 08, 2013 at 01:44 AM
EVO088
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


RichardLavigne wrote:
I think that more than anything... it really comes down to the type of clients you want to attract. There are some clients that are going to care about or judge you on the camera you carry... they are concerned with perception and looking the part. There are also clients that won't care.. clients that believe in the substance and will trust that you're using the right tool because you're a professional, regardless of size.

In terms of being hired for "gear"... I see that several have said that you're hired long before a couple sees the gear and that is
...Show more

Totally agree!! we can say what we've been saying in this thread because we're on this side fo the fence! what are the % of times during one wedding where someone comes to you and say " wow, nice camera, you must take great pictures with that! " perception! they don't know any better and uneducated about cameras and its size, all they see is how much and how large!

Fact
On photography forums - its not the camera, its the person using it! Ansel Adams can do it with any point and shoot! Said every photographer

On wedding/bride forums - WOW my photographer is so good that he came to my wedding with a pair of S95 - said from a bride NEVER!



Mar 08, 2013 at 06:30 PM
Littleguy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...


If I am doing an e-shoot in public - I rather have small camera than a big one that screams Pro because Pro means: "Can I see your photo permit please?"


Mar 08, 2013 at 06:46 PM
1       2      
3
       4       end




FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password