Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

kevindar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

the middle of frame horizon works here. gotta know when to "bend" the rules.

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:40 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Beautiful Photo Mark! Great story to go with it!

Mar 05, 2013 at 12:54 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

An absolutely awesome shot, Mark!

-Nick

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that there is a video of getting to the location on my website...

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

ucphotog wrote:
Beautiful.

Did you take this same shot wide rather than tall? The sky doesn't seem to be adding a lot. Would more colored and less sky might be better?

Are you kidding!?
The sky is sublime!
If anything, I'd play with the notion of whacking an inch off the bottom.

I'd agree that the shot seems slightly cramped and narrow. A little more to either side wouldn't hurt.
Or maybe a square format shot, trimming a little from both top and bottom. Mark, got a 6x6? Get back there!

At the risk of sounding all too cynical, perhaps that 'quiet sacredness' is due not so much to the scenery as to the complete lack of Touron activity in the vicinity?

Mark, shooing all the bends between Page and Lee's Ferry would make a rather superb project. Best get busy.

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:05 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Mark Metternich wrote:
Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that there is a video of getting to the location on my website...

After earlier writing:
There is something about this spot that cannot be relayed in photos. A "sacredness" is the only word I can come up with. A quiet. The ocassional sound of the Grand Canyon boat tours. No people. Remoteness. A doubling up of echos (on calm days) when you yell into the canyon that becomes an orchestra of voices. The ocassional sound of thunder that really is chunks of rock ocassionally falling the 1500 feet down the walls. Sacred. Special. I have spent a handful of nights here alone and have relished in it.

That very solitude, sacredness, quiet, remoteness, specialness and other things that you write of provide a wonderful list of reasons to not "post a video of getting to the location."

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Well, for better or worse, this is hardly a 'secret' location. (15 seconds with google earth nailed it.) Given the vertical climb required to reach it, I suspect Mark's site is in little danger of becoming the next Zabriskie.

That said, if I ever wind up a Lee's with a day in hand...
It looks like a ~2 mile detour would avoid most/all of the steep cliffs that Mark down climbed.

Which bend is next? Waterholes?

Edited on Mar 06, 2013 at 05:59 PM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2013 at 08:54 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

gdanmitchell wrote:
After earlier writing:

That very solitude, sacredness, quiet, remoteness, specialness and other things that you write of provide a wonderful list of reasons to not "post a video of getting to the location."

It does not show how I got to the location only when I was already there.

Mar 06, 2013 at 03:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Greg Campbell wrote:
Well, for better or worse, this is hardly a 'secret' location. (15 seconds with google earth nailed it.) Given the vertical climb required to reach it, I suspect Mark's site is in little danger of becoming the next Zabriskie.

That said, if I ever wind up a Lee's with a day in hand...
It looks like a ~2 mile detour would avoid moist/all of the steep cliffs that Mark down climbed.

Which bend is next? Waterholes?

Look are deceiving. But if someone gets here, hats off to them. They will have earned it.

Mar 06, 2013 at 03:44 AM
D. von Briesen
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

funny how no one has bothered to point out that it's not even the Grand Canyon. It's the remaining seventeen miles or so of the "Place No One Knew." (ggogle it for some serious landscape photography history!)

Mar 07, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

D. von Briesen wrote:
funny how no one has bothered to point out that it's not even the Grand Canyon. It's the remaining seventeen miles or so of the "Place No One Knew." (ggogle it for some serious landscape photography history!)

Yes, you are absolutely right. Good point and great history. But being less than 1.5 miles from where we draw that line, I generally don't get too technical about it unless I'm out there leading people, and then I love sharing some of that rich history.

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Chuck D

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Mark, what a beautiful shot! Congratulations on the experience and for sharing it with us.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:04 PM
D. von Briesen
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

Mark Metternich wrote:
Yes, you are absolutely right. Good point and great history. But being less than 1.5 miles from where we draw that line, I generally don't get too technical about it unless I'm out there leading people, and then I love sharing some of that rich history.

I know you know this, mark, but we don't actually draw an arbitrary line. one canyon ends (glen) and another begins (marble, part of the grand but distinctive on its own as well) . one of the key distinctions for lee's ferry is it is one of the few accessible river points without massive cliffs where early settlers (mormans) could cross the colorado. it's the lack of cliffs that indicates the major geological and geographic demarcation of the two canyon systems. while grand canyon starts here it doesn't become truly grand (5K' deep) for another 60-70 river miles or so.

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:14 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

D. von Briesen wrote:
I know you know this, mark, but we don't actually draw an arbitrary line. one canyon ends (glen) and another begins (marble, part of the grand but distinctive on its own as well) . one of the key distinctions for lee's ferry is it is one of the few accessible river points without massive cliffs where early settlers (mormans) could cross the colorado. it's the lack of cliffs that indicates the major geological and geographic demarcation of the two canyon systems. while grand canyon starts here it doesn't become truly grand (5K' deep) for another 60-70 river miles
...Show more

I agree. I share this information (and other stuff - since I read about the history as a hobby when I have down time out there) with the people I lead, when out there. I love the history and find it fascinating. When generally referring to my work or this area, I see a lot more of the entire area the same massive geological event and don't get real technical about it... But yes, the Grand Canyon starts at Lees Ferry and to get up on top of the nearby cliffs and shoot from there is an astounding experience because you begin to see the really HUGE crack that starts to really go down into the earth!

Mar 07, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

nicknick23 wrote:
Great shot MARK !! Glad to see more of your work posted !!

Nick, meet me out there next early spring (late March -2014) and we will go!

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sacred Secret Bend 3

kevindar wrote:
the middle of frame horizon works here. gotta know when to "bend" the rules.

! I'm a rule "bender"!

Mar 12, 2013 at 06:55 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password