Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Satechi introduces Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Trigger

Monito
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Satechi introduces Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Trigger

Next on my wishlist: a Bluetooth app to drive a tripod ball-head and a zoom ring.

Mar 27, 2013 at 05:51 PM
themutt

p.2 #2 · Satechi introduces Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Trigger

After taking my trigger on a short turnaround trip up north to San Francisco, I can say that the execution is pretty good for the price. Setup is fairly quick and painless, just requires turning bluetooth on (I leave this on at all times because of a Nike+ Fuel Band that I wear anyways) and turning on the trigger.
Shots in standard mode, bulb, and intervalometer are very easy to set up.

I will say that I have never used the official Canon TC80N3, but I can compare this trigger to a Vello Shutterboss that I also own.

One thing that is a bit strange for me is that there is no tactile feel when pressing the shutter release button on your phone. The Shutterboss has a dual press button on the shutter release similar to the one found on camera, which I can assume is similar to the TC80N3.

Another issue I can see is battery life. The Smart Trigger I am sure can withstand an all-day time lapse with no issues. The downside becomes the battery in your phone, which unlike those in your trigger and camera, are not user-replaceable. Unless your phone is left plugged in to a power source or all other phone functions are disabled, I can see the battery dying long before you are finished.

Otherwise the Smart Trigger is a great way to get into wireless triggering that does not require line-of-sight and time lapses, provided you already own a Bluetooth 4 enabled device.

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Satechi introduces Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Trigger

themutt wrote:
After taking my trigger on a short turnaround trip up north to San Francisco, I can say that the execution is pretty good for the price. Setup is fairly quick and painless, just requires turning bluetooth on (I leave this on at all times because of a Nike+ Fuel Band that I wear anyways) and turning on the trigger.
Shots in standard mode, bulb, and intervalometer are very easy to set up.

I will say that I have never used the official Canon TC80N3, but I can compare this trigger to a Vello Shutterboss that I also own.

One thing that is a
...Show more

Thanks for the report.
Battery life could be an issue when doing long exposures while on bluetooth.
Satechi makes a similar wireless trigger that works without a smart phone. Have anyone tried it?

Satechi WTR-A Wireless Timer Remote Control Shutter

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM
raydee

p.2 #4 · Satechi introduces Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Trigger

Hmm, basically this doesn't do more than a standard TC-80N3 albeit with a beautified user interface. There already are USB-Host triggers available, which support camera control besides tripping the shutter or control the exposure time while leaving the camera in bulb mode. They allow full control, just like the camera supplied PC remote application, i.e. switch shooting mode, adjust exposure time / aperture, iso , focus...
I don't really see the need for a BT cable replacement, or am I missing something?

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:58 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password