Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

f.hayek wrote:
The Fuji/NEX was ruled out on the basis of poor high ISO, absence of focus peaking (Fuji) and terrible ergonomics (NEX).

I understand focus peaking and the ergonomics argument, but the high ISO, I simply don't get. The Fuji sensors have outstanding high ISO capabilities, very likely the equal of the D700, and when normalized for pixel output, the NEX cams aren't too far behind. We're talking half a stop at most.

Mar 19, 2013 at 06:50 PM
briantho
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

douglasf13 wrote:
You can remove the A99's mirror if you don't need the phase detect AF.

Is it a permanent modification or can you just take it off as standard?

Mar 19, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

briantho wrote:
Is it a permanent modification or can you just take it off as standard?

I have seen it mentioned a couple of times. To my understanding there are two latches holding the mirror and it can easily be taken out and, if needed some day, put back again. Interesting!

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:02 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.2 #4 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

Jman13 wrote:
I understand focus peaking and the ergonomics argument, but the high ISO, I simply don't get. The Fuji sensors have outstanding high ISO capabilities, very likely the equal of the D700, and when normalized for pixel output, the NEX cams aren't too far behind. We're talking half a stop at most.

The XE-1 was somewhat fragile in the hand. My error re: high ISO; checked my pro/con notes and you are correct, the X-Trans inded outputs really clean files at 3200. Might pick one up used once the Superspeed for Nikon materializes. Just in time for mountain hiking when the weather clears around here.

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:55 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

You can find out about the 'full conversion' of the a99 to a mirrorless (from its present config of 'ghost mirror' status) on the web...it is apparently easy, and this would give you a mirrorless non-AF top drawer DSLR with RX1 level sensor performance and the current best EVF, IBIS too if that counts for you. a99 prices will drop quite quickly most likely.

I thought about it for a week or so, but was so happy with real world results at ISO 5000 that I thought better of it, and the mirror is my 'sensor dust guard'. Not one dust more in several thousands exposures and lots of lens changes, nice.

Noise character seems noticeably better than the Nikon D800 also for commonly used middle ISO levels, but it's a degree of excellence. I think Sony made a very good decision using the 24Mp sensor in their two top cameras, it's...harmonious. Sometimes less is more.

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:56 PM
0jjcpa123

p.2 #6 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

I have C/Y 50mm, 135mm, 35-70mm and all leitaxed to Nikon mount. Do you know any of these may hit mirror on D700. I am using them on S5PRO now. Thx,

Mar 20, 2013 at 06:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cyra
• • •
p.2 #7 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

C/Y 50/1.4 does, 1.7 does not. Check out at the Leitax website.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:17 PM
0jjcpa123

p.2 #8 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

thanks, how about 35-70VS on D700? Leitax.com does not mention it.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:14 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

Ojj etc., send david an email: info@leitax.com

He is very helpful and will know, in all likelihood.

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:35 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.2 #10 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

Jonas B wrote:
I have seen it mentioned a couple of times. To my understanding there are two latches holding the mirror and it can easily be taken out and, if needed some day, put back again. Interesting!

It is easy to take out and put back... the only problem is the mirror itself is basically high-tech saran wrap on a frame made of engineering plastic. You can only lay the mirror down on one side without a surface touching whatever you put it on, which makes for a bit on an interesting puzzle as to storage. I happened to have a sample carrier box for Si samples on my desk which works nice because it has a single tacky surface to keep things from rattling around. It looks to cost around 60-80 to replace if you damage it.

I'm also not convinced that ghosting would come up at all often in the real world, mines out because I don't have any native A-mount lenses and a free 1/3 stop is a free 1/3 stop. If I sell the camera in the future I'll put it back in and borrow a lens to check that the AF adjust is still in tune, but my reason for buying the camera was to use MF lenses. If I wanted AF I could have gotten lots of cheaper alternatives.

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:10 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Suggestion on best DSLR/mirrorless for MF lenses?

For Mirror storage I'd try and dig up a focusing screen container, they're just about the right size

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password