Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · hard cases - besides Pelican and CaseCruzer?

TurnMyPaige13

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · hard cases - besides Pelican and CaseCruzer?

Hi everyone - After doing hours of research with no luck, I thought I'd put this question up on the forum to see if anyone might have some tips or info...

I'm looking for a hard case for my photo gear and laptop. I can't seem to find exactly what I want. Pelican has the exact size and style that I want, but they are a bit heavy. CaseCruzer is lighter, but I can't find the exact design and size. I spend almost an hour on the phone with them, but unfortunately they don't have anything that meets my needs.

Have any of you used other cases besides Pelican and CaseCruzer?

I'm looking for:
- Approximate internal dimensions of 20x15x8 (Pelican 1560SC would be perfect, but it's too heavy. CaseCruzer OSC900 is also the correct size range, but doesn't have adjustable foam dividers and laptop compartment doesn't latch at the top to hold it up while finding gear below).
- Adjustable foam inserts
- Lightweight (CaseCruzer in the size I'm looking for is approximately 13 lbs when empty, which would be perfect weight)
- Some type of laptop compartment
- It does *not* necessarily need to be waterproof, and I do *not* plan to fly with it so it doesn't need to be carry-on size.

If anyone has any ideas on other companies, any help would be greatly appreciated! Or, if you happen to have a case you use that sounds similar in size and style to what I'm looking for, could you please let me know which one it is?

Thank you so much for any info or advice, much appreciated! :-)

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · hard cases - besides Pelican and CaseCruzer?

I haven't seen one, but heard some nice things about Nanuk cases.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · hard cases - besides Pelican and CaseCruzer?

TurnMyPaige13 wrote:
CaseCruzer OSC900 is also the correct size range, but doesn't have adjustable foam dividers and laptop compartment doesn't latch at the top to hold it up while finding gear below).
:-)

Wouldn't that be an easy DIY fix?

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:03 AM
mthouston

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · hard cases - besides Pelican and CaseCruzer?

Have you looked at Porter Cases?
http://www.portercase.com/catalog/

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · hard cases - besides Pelican and CaseCruzer?

mthouston wrote:
Have you looked at Porter Cases?
http://www.portercase.com/catalog/

I am not OP but thank you so much for the tip. I have been looking for this type of case for a while but never quite found a light weight hard case for carry on.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:48 PM
1KIND
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · hard cases - besides Pelican and CaseCruzer?

http://www.plaber.com/

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:14 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · hard cases - besides Pelican and CaseCruzer?

SKB

Look up this link for comparisons of similar sized Pelican, Storm and SKB cases: http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/pdf/SKB%20-%20Pelican%20-%20Storm%20cross%20reference.pdf

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:28 PM
TurnMyPaige13

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · hard cases - besides Pelican and CaseCruzer?

Thank you for all of the great suggestions! I ended up getting a skb casecruzer. I did hours and hours of research and looking online, and looked at each of the different suggested brands. I really appreciate all of your input! I couldn't find one the correct size with a laptop compartment, but I decided that was ok because having my laptop in there would have made it even more heavy. I got a big case (bigger than carry-on size) so with all of my gear in there it's quite heavy, but works well for what I need. Thanks!

Mar 30, 2013 at 04:39 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password